Glossika Product Updates

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Jojo
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (L1), English (L2), Italian (Adv), Croatian (Int), French (Int), Egyptian Arabic (Adv Beg), Greek (New Beg), Russian (New Beg)

Re: Glossika Product Updates: Messages 4 of 4

Postby Jojo » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:50 pm

Michael just posted that Croatian (a language I've been waiting to be released for years) is finally ready, but will only be released in the new format. It may sound dramatic, but I'm actually a little heartbroken.

I absolutely hate the subscription method. Netflix is ok, but a) it's cheaper and b) I'm not interested in owning movies and TV shows. Comparing movies to language courses is like comparing apples and oranges. So what if you have access to all the languages? I only want access to a couple of languages I'm serious about learning.

Even if I could stay on track following the 9-month schedule that's $270 for something that could've owned for $99 and come back to whenever I wanted to. Having said that, for Croatian and other small languages I'd gladly pay $200 for the course in the old format. I liked the product the way it was, and recognize that at $99 it was certainly a bargain.

Also, as a mainly auditory learner I'm not gonna sit around all day long pressing buttons. The few times I've used Duolingo I've been impressed by how much I learned in a few minutes, but I can't stick with it, it doesn't work with my lifestyle.

Michael claims the reason for the subscription method is that the "one off" method is not sustainable, but Assimil is still around, Pimsleur, Teach Yourself, Colloquial, Living Language are all still around. To me sounds like they just chose to throw technology at whatever problem they may have had with their company.

I'm finally learning French so I can have access to Assimil's entire collection. But I'm still sad about not looking forward to new products from Glossika.
2 x
Formerly JohannaNYC

crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Postby crush » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:54 pm

There are currently a number of languges labeled as "free". Currently, these include:
* Catalan
* both Hakka courses/dialects
* Taiwanese

Michael mentioned that these will be (are?) free as a service to minority languages and he plans on growing the number of completely free courses as time goes on, eventually offering more free courses than paid ones. I think this is a very noble gesture and i'd be happy supporting such a project. I think i'll sign up for at least a year's subscription and see how things turn out.

I do wonder, though, do these courses have an actual "end' or are you expected to review your sentences indefinitely?
4 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:08 pm

crush wrote:There are currently a number of languages labeled as "free". Currently, these include:
* Catalan
* Taiwanese

Michael mentioned that these will be (are?) free as a service to minority languages and he plans on growing the number of completely free courses as time goes on, eventually offering more free courses than paid ones. I think this is a very noble gesture and i'd be happy supporting such a project. I think i'll sign up for at least a year's subscription and see how things turn out.

I do wonder, though, do these courses have an actual "end' or are you expected to review your sentences indefinitely?

Also Wu/Wenzhounese is free.

I think the end of the course is whenever you feel like you've gotten enough out of it. I would assume that you can review it anytime you want to brush up no matter how many reps you may have done earlier.

If you are referring to sessions, they are supposed to have an end. I got to the end of the session in Japanese and it asked me for feedback on how difficult I found the sentences. But I tried both Spanish courses and in each of them I ended up getting stuck in a never-ending loop and I never got to the end of the session. I think there are still a lot of bugs. Hopefully they will work them out soon, especially since he wants so much money for this.
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:02 am

Jojo wrote:Also, as a mainly auditory learner I'm not gonna sit around all day long pressing buttons. The few times I've used Duolingo I've been impressed by how much I learned in a few minutes, but I can't stick with it, it doesn't work with my lifestyle.

I mentioned it in my feedback post but I'll just clarify -- You don't have to sit at the computer and click buttons. The session runs in the background on my phone. This means that once you load a new session, you can plug in your headphones and go for a walk. Right now it would use data once you go out of reach of your wifi, but with the offline feature you should be able to download your sessions via wifi (hopefully quite a few sessions)

----

I did try to subscribe the other day. Apparently... it isn' possible :lol: I don't know what is going on but when I hit 1000 reps it thanked me for finishing my trial and tried to get me to subscribe again. I'm waiting for Glossika to get back to me. Anyone else have that problem yet?
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

crush
Blue Belt

Postby crush » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:07 am

Ani wrote:I did try to subscribe the other day. Apparently... it isn' possible :lol: I don't know what is going on but when I hit 1000 reps it thanked me for finishing my trial and tried to get me to subscribe again. I'm waiting for Glossika to get back to me. Anyone else have that problem yet?

I was able to subscribe for a month subscription, what problems are you having?
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:20 am

crush wrote:I was able to subscribe for a month subscription, what problems are you having?

All my data is in my account tab, with coupon code, etc, but I am blocked out of the courses. The "start session" button now says "upgrade". Have you passed 1000 reps?
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

crush
Blue Belt

Postby crush » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:38 am

Ani wrote:All my data is in my account tab, with coupon code, etc, but I am blocked out of the courses. The "start session" button now says "upgrade". Have you passed 1000 reps?

Ah, not yet, but it still does say "1000", so maybe it'll still stop me at 1000 reps. The free courses also say that, so not sure.
1 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:14 am

Speakeasy wrote:I wonder if my numerous angrily-worded Emails to Glossika, concerning their barely-functional order-processing-system might have something to do with the absence of an invitation?

Ani wrote:I did try to subscribe the other day. Apparently... it isn' possible :lol: I don't know what is going on but when I hit 1000 reps it thanked me for finishing my trial and tried to get me to subscribe again.

Sounds like they have some very basic system problems to overcome
1 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Jojo
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (L1), English (L2), Italian (Adv), Croatian (Int), French (Int), Egyptian Arabic (Adv Beg), Greek (New Beg), Russian (New Beg)

Postby Jojo » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:44 am

Ani wrote:
Jojo wrote:Also, as a mainly auditory learner I'm not gonna sit around all day long pressing buttons. The few times I've used Duolingo I've been impressed by how much I learned in a few minutes, but I can't stick with it, it doesn't work with my lifestyle.

I mentioned it in my feedback post but I'll just clarify -- You don't have to sit at the computer and click buttons. The session runs in the background on my phone. This means that once you load a new session, you can plug in your headphones and go for a walk. Right now it would use data once you go out of reach of your wifi, but with the offline feature you should be able to download your sessions via wifi (hopefully quite a few sessions)

----

I normally listen to Glossika and other audio courses while doing housework.
0 x
Formerly JohannaNYC

Seneca
Green Belt
Languages: English (N); 日本語 (beginner)

Postby Seneca » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:49 am

crush wrote:There are currently a number of languges labeled as "free". Currently, these include:
* Catalan
* Taiwanese

Did prices change, or is Catalan listed on different parts of the website with different prices?
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”