Teach English from Dari or Persian, German

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
guiguixx1
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English (C2), Dutch (C1), Spanish (C1), Italian (B2), Esperanto (A2), Portuguese (B2), German (A2), Catalan (passively)

Teach English from Dari or Persian, German

Postby guiguixx1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:41 am

Hi all,

I am trying to help someone who speaks Dari and Persian and a bit of German (A1-A2). He wants to learn English. I have suggested to him to use Duolingo from German. Does anyone know another website for his situation? Any language resources to learn English from German, Dari or Persian?

Thanks in advance
1 x
Language learning and teaching website as a French teacher of Dutch and English: cameleondeslangues.be

n_j_f
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying:
French (B1), German (A2)

Up Next:
Persian, Russian

Flirting With:
Sanskrit

On the back-burner:
Turkish, Irish

Bucket List:
Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish, Hindi/Urdu, Ancient Greek, Latin, Old Church Slavonic, Modern Greek, Tamil, Sinhalese, Malayalam, Welsh, Arabic

Re: Teach English from Dari or Persian, German

Postby n_j_f » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:41 am

Couple of suggestions

• Linguaphone English Course For Persian Speakers which turns up from time to time on Amazon, Ebay, Abebooks, etc. It appears to date from about the 70s

• Goethe Verlag/50 Languages/Book 2. This is somewhat similar to Glossika (without the spaced repetition) and you can select your base language as well as the target language. I know how to do this on the app, but not sure how on the website. The voice recordings are a bit corny and OTT, but clear and perfectly enunciated.
http://www.goethe-verlag.com/

• Something new I found out after reading your post was that Pimsleur is available with other languages as the base language. It makes perfect sense, of course, but I had always assumed it was English only. Anyway, there is an English course for Persian speakers:
http://www.pimsleur.com/learn-english-f ... n-speakers
1 x

guiguixx1
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English (C2), Dutch (C1), Spanish (C1), Italian (B2), Esperanto (A2), Portuguese (B2), German (A2), Catalan (passively)

Postby guiguixx1 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:05 am

Thank you for these resources! I have tried "50 languages" with the app but Persian doesn't seem to be in the list :/ Regarding books, I cannot use them because the guy I'm helping is a refugee following lessons in a non-profit organization and we're helping him for another 3 weeks before leaving the country back home. Thus, it would be awesome to find something for free on the web.
1 x
Language learning and teaching website as a French teacher of Dutch and English: cameleondeslangues.be

n_j_f
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying:
French (B1), German (A2)

Up Next:
Persian, Russian

Flirting With:
Sanskrit

On the back-burner:
Turkish, Irish

Bucket List:
Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish, Hindi/Urdu, Ancient Greek, Latin, Old Church Slavonic, Modern Greek, Tamil, Sinhalese, Malayalam, Welsh, Arabic

Postby n_j_f » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:39 am

guiguixx1 wrote:Thank you for these resources! I have tried "50 languages" with the app but Persian doesn't seem to be in the list :/ Regarding books, I cannot use them because the guy I'm helping is a refugee following lessons in a non-profit organization and we're helping him for another 3 weeks before leaving the country back home. Thus, it would be awesome to find something for free on the web.

I wouldn't know, of course, but there's plenty of "free" material available from various place ;)
Although I don't use the app on my phone, there is definitely an option when I use the app on my iPad. Anyway, I've played around on the website and figured out how to change the settings and I've provided the links below:

Persian to English:
https://www.50languages.com/phrasebook/lesson/fa/en/1/
German to English:
https://www.50languages.com/phrasebook/lesson/de/en/1/

Have you looked into Lingua Latina-like material for English. The only one I'm familiar is English by the Natural Method, which was part of the same series as Lingua Latina and Le français par la méthode nature. There is no audio that I'm aware of (although I've heard mention of audio for the French book but no one seems to have it) and the German and Russian books seem to be lost. I had a link for the English, French and Italian books but it seems to have shut down. Maybe someone else can help out with that.

موفق باشيد

By the way, if anyone else is interested in 50 Languages:
https://www.50languages.com/phrasebook/lesson/en/em/1/
You can adjust the choice of base language and the language you want to learn by selecting the drop-down menu on the red bar.
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”