ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

LWT is painfully slow

Postby arthaey » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:53 pm

So I have my own private, single-user installation of LWT, and it's painfully slow. I'm trying to figure out if it's just what everyone puts up with, if maybe I need to archive some texts (does that help?), or if there's something else I can do to speed it up to useable load times.

blaurebell wrote:I use LWT a lot and for learning languages from scratch I find it absolutely amazing.

@Blaurebell: What's your experience been like, re: loading times for LWT?
0 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Re: LWT is painfully slow

Postby blaurebell » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:36 pm

arthaey wrote:@Blaurebell: What's your experience been like, re: loading times for LWT?

As long as I don't keep too many texts active it's not slow. Usually I don't have more than 20 at a time. Mostly short ones. Occasionally I put a whole novel in, but I archive every text immediately when I'm done with it.
3 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:38 am

It sometimes takes me several tries to make it start, but it isn't usually slow. Once, I tried putting a whole novel in at once, cut into chapters, and then it got a bit slow. Try archiving any texts you don't need. That should speed it up.
2 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:33 pm

Oh. I had several novels, so hundreds, probably thousands, of unarchived texts. Let me go archive those and see if that helps!

I'll also go look for that forked version...
0 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)

Postby blaurebell » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:55 am

LesRonces wrote:Display translations of terms with status(es) in the reading frame

I wonder, can that be turned off? I don't really want to see the translation until I click on the word, because the prompt to remember helps me to learn. The rest of the functions look pretty interesting though.
0 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt

Postby blaurebell » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:47 am

LesRonces wrote:Yeah you can turn them off - you can set it to only display the translation for any status you like. So you can have it show translations for every word you already know, for words with status '5' only, for words at status '1' only etc.

Sounds good! But then, I'm really hesitant to update. Right now it simply works for me, so I'm not sure I should be changing anything.
1 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt

Postby blaurebell » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:16 am

LesRonces wrote:You don't update - you install separately and although texts from one will appear on the other, they don't interfere with each other. Obviously the words saved on one affect words saved on the other but none of the unique features of the newer one affect the older one. Not in my case anyway.

But wait, if they are using the same database, how could the size of the DB be optimised with one version and still work with the other version? I assumed that they use a different database altogether ...?
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:31 pm

blaurebell wrote:
LesRonces wrote:You don't update - you install separately and although texts from one will appear on the other, they don't interfere with each other. Obviously the words saved on one affect words saved on the other but none of the unique features of the newer one affect the older one. Not in my case anyway.

But wait, if they are using the same database, how could the size of the DB be optimised with one version and still work with the other version? I assumed that they use a different database altogether ...?

Either the problem in the original wasn't the database itself, but rather how LWT inserted data into it, or the author of the forked version has used some kind of "deduplication" -- i.e. storing repeated data once, and linking to that from elsewhere. So someone querying the database directly sees "I know what you mean," he said. but the internal storage is just a few numbers pointing to pre-built phrases.
1 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt

Postby blaurebell » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:35 pm

LesRonces wrote:Not a clue.

If i go on the new one that i use, i have texts i've recently imported. I've not used the other one for at least 4 or 5 months, but that also has texts i've recently imported on it, but they appear blank, with no words to each text. If i then click 'edit' the text comes up in the edit box, if i click save it then saves as a normal text with all the terms etc in there.

Ah ok, then it's not entirely compatible, that makes sense. I'll keep pondering it for a bit. So far I'm still a tad sceptical, because I can't quite see the advantages yet. Are the statistics any better?
0 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt

Postby blaurebell » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:59 pm

LesRonces wrote:Nah they're exactly the same. There's not much 'functionally' better except the translation under words, text-to-speech, different 'themes' for the interface and ability to make massive phrases.

Ah, so very long sentences? I think I ran into that problem only with transcripts of rambling speech. Not the kind of stuff I reach much anyway. The rest of the functionality seems pretty unimportant to me. With my mac I use text-to-speech all the time with LWT which is pretty alright as TTS goes.

Now I'm totally sold on not changing anything. Some lovely pie charts and more stats over database development over time would be nice, but well ...
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”