Public Library Language Learning Holdings

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Public Library Language Learning Holdings

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:50 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:
LesRonces wrote:How many foreign language novels/books/magazines do they stock though ?

That is a good question. I will ask them.
This may be the wrong thread, but because the question was asked here, I'll answer it here.
The library sent me a spreadsheet of their holdings in different languages. The numbers include all holdings, not just books. Almost 200 languages are represented. Of English there are over 2 million and of Spanish over 110 thousand holdings. French is third with over 9 thousand. Other languages with more than 1000 are German, Italian, Japanese, Chinese [sic], Latin, Russian and Hindi.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Re: Public Library Language Learning Holdings

Postby Stelle » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:18 pm

In addition to a variety of "learn language x" materials (too many to list), our library also has a very rich selection of native materials in different languages. In my local branch, I can browse books and DVDs in Italian, Russian, French, Chinese, Vietnamese, Spanish, Portuguese and Hindi. I can also request materials in other languages from other branches - each branch houses books in the languages most common to its neighbourhood. It's one of the many perks of living in one of the world's most diverse and multicultural cities!
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”