UK - Channel 4 - foreign language TV

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
DaveBee
Blue Belt
Posts: 952
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:49 pm
Location: UK
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466
x 1370

UK - Channel 4 - foreign language TV

Postby DaveBee » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:35 am

Channel 4 offer some foreign language TV with subtitles on their website. May require login. They will show you adverts.

From their home page, select 'categories' from the horizontal navigation menu, then 'world drama'.

So far I've watched a french language programme with english subtitles.
4 x

User avatar
LesRonces
Green Belt
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 7:48 am
Languages: FR B1¾
x 539

Re: UK - Channel 4 - foreign language TV

Postby LesRonces » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:17 pm

DaveBee wrote:Channel 4 offer some foreign language TV with subtitles on their website. May require login. They will show you adverts.

From their home page, select 'categories' from the horizontal navigation menu, then 'world drama'.

So far I've watched a french language programme with english subtitles.

My mum had one of those 'NOWTV' boxes and it had loads of good French stuff on the C4 section. Unfortunately they all had L1 subs which to me is less than useless.
1 x

Cainntear
Brown Belt
Posts: 1447
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:04 am
Location: Scotland
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc
x 3357
Contact:

Re: UK - Channel 4 - foreign language TV

Postby Cainntear » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:37 pm

LesRonces wrote:My mum had one of those 'NOWTV' boxes and it had loads of good French stuff on the C4 section. Unfortunately they all had L1 subs which to me is less than useless.

For generations, the native Gaelic speakers of Scotland have been forced to watch TV in their mother tongue with English-language subtitles burned in. The traditional cure for this was a strip of cardboard and some Sellotape....
5 x

Ingaræð
Orange Belt
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:34 pm
Languages: English (N)
Studying: Deutsch (A2-B1*), français (B1-2*), Русский (beg.).
Previously studied: italiano, Cymraeg.
Wish list: 'UN 6'.
Mainly (but not solely) interested in Eurasian languages.

*Dialang
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4993
x 271

Re: UK - Channel 4 - foreign language TV

Postby Ingaræð » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:14 pm

Cainntear wrote:For generations, the native Gaelic speakers of Scotland have been forced to watch TV in their mother tongue with English-language subtitles burned in.

That seems a bit bizarre - pretty much everything on S4C has optional English and Welsh subtitles (the Pobl y Cwm omnibus being an exception). Different language policies, I guess...?

The traditional cure for this was a strip of cardboard and some Sellotape....

Genius! :lol:
0 x
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.

Cainntear
Brown Belt
Posts: 1447
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:04 am
Location: Scotland
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc
x 3357
Contact:

Re: UK - Channel 4 - foreign language TV

Postby Cainntear » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:01 pm

Ingaræð wrote:
Cainntear wrote:For generations, the native Gaelic speakers of Scotland have been forced to watch TV in their mother tongue with English-language subtitles burned in.

That seems a bit bizarre - pretty much everything on S4C has optional English and Welsh subtitles (the Pobl y Cwm omnibus being an exception). Different language policies, I guess...?

It's a source of much friction. Programming was until relatively recently all through a few ours on BBC and the Scottish ITV franchises. The new digital channel was set up with the bandwidth for only a single SD video stream and a standard audio stream. There's no reason additional subtitle bandwidth couldn't be added, but the official line is that not having subtitles when you switch over would scare away non-speakers.
1 x

User avatar
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Posts: 2141
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:48 pm
Location: Steinkjer, Norway
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9857
x 4929
Contact:

Re: UK - Channel 4 - foreign language TV

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:24 am

Cainntear wrote:
LesRonces wrote:My mum had one of those 'NOWTV' boxes and it had loads of good French stuff on the C4 section. Unfortunately they all had L1 subs which to me is less than useless.

For generations, the native Gaelic speakers of Scotland have been forced to watch TV in their mother tongue with English-language subtitles burned in. The traditional cure for this was a strip of cardboard and some Sellotape....

To make it more fun, I used to have the cardboard cut like the characters in Mystery Science Theater 3000. :lol: My father got annoyed when he found himself watching "Mystery Science News" and ripped it up.
3 x

Online
DaveAgain
Green Belt
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:26 am
Languages: English (native), French (intermediate), German (beginner).
x 652

Re: UK - Channel 4 - foreign language TV

Postby DaveAgain » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:46 pm

It's possible to see their 'world drama' programmes grouped by language by clicking on the "featured channels" > "Walter Presents" link.

https://www.channel4.com/collection/walter-presents
3 x


Return to “Language Programs and Resources”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests