French (B1), German (A2)

Up Next:
Persian, Russian

Flirting With:
Sanskrit

On the back-burner:
Turkish, Irish

Bucket List:
Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish, Hindi/Urdu, Ancient Greek, Latin, Old Church Slavonic, Modern Greek, Tamil, Sinhalese, Malayalam, Welsh, Arabic

Re: Dorling Kindersley Visual Dictionaries

Postby n_j_f » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:45 am

Doitsujin wrote:
n_j_f wrote:Does anyone know how Dorling Kindersley account for the addition 4,000 words/phrases, and is there is a way of extracting the audio from the app and importing them onto Anki flashcards?
I don't know if you bought the same version of the DK dictionary that I did (I had to scan the bar code in order to download the audio files), however, IIRC, the iOS version of the app will download all (.m4a) audio files, which you can extract with 7Zip from the .ipa file, if you transfer the complete app folder with a third party tool (e.g. Syncios) to your computer. (The .ipa file also contains .xml files with the text of each word and references to the audio files in the source and target languages.)

After encountering procrastination, followed by technical difficulties, I have finally downloaded the audio for French, Italian and Spanish after using OCR software to convert the 5 Language Visual Dictionary into a spreadsheet. The intention is to create an Anki deck with all of the languages I have studied and are interested in studying. If others are interested, I could also look at creating a master deck with ALL of the languages currently available (there are more languages available in the German editions than in in English).

Unfortunately, although I have all the available English editions, only the French, Italian and Spanish are the recent editions. The app recognises the barcodes for the recent editions, but not the previous ones so I will need to either obtain barcodes for the others and/or will need to obtain the zip files from the app.

To complicate matters further, being in Australia I cannot access the German Dorling Kindersley app, even though I have the most recent editions for Turkish and Persian. So in order to create a master deck, I will need to get PDFs/scans and the relevant zip files/audio.

If anyone would be interested in a master deck and/or assisting, please private message me. I don't expect that there should be any copyright violations as I own the print editions and will of course only supply the master deck to someone who advises that they have the same.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”