The Great Courses: Language Lectures Series

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Lianne
Green Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N)
Actively studying: French (low int), Italian (beginner)
Dabbling in: ASL (beginner)
Wish list: Swedish, Esperanto, Klingon, Brazilian Portuguese
Has also dabbled in: German, Spanish, toki pona, Swahili
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=127744

Re: The Great Courses: Language Lectures Series

Postby Lianne » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:57 am

My public library recently got access to the Great Courses through Kanopy. And they don't even count towards your monthly Kanopy credits! So if your public library has Kanopy I recommend checking to see whether they have the subscription the Great Courses.

I started watching one on Ancient Mesopotamia, and the content was very interesting, but I am really incapable of absorbing information in lecture form. I may try again, perhaps while knitting? I kept falling asleep, so knitting would prevent that problem at least.
1 x
: 44 / 366 366 Day Challenge (French)
: 43 / 366 366 Day Challenge (Italian/French)
: 257 / 2500 Reading 2500 pages of French in 2020 (updated Feb. 14)

Pronouns: she/her

kanewai
Green Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: French, Italian, Spanish, Arabic
Inactive: Turkish, Indonesian, Pááfang
Very Inactive: Latin, Ancient Greek

Postby kanewai » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:01 am

Speakeasy wrote:Review of the Great Courses “Learning German” course.

Who Would This Course Appeal To?
Generally speaking, the Great Courses videos series offer viewers a minimally-informative, entertaining, and reassuring overview of a given subject of general cultural or historical interest (viz., yes, the subject matter is reputably difficult to grasp, but you can understand it). They are designed for a general audience, the members of which do not wish to feel over-taxed by a detailed, comprehensive, in-depth presentation requiring both their active participation and a great deal of personal application. The publisher’s “Learning German” course reflects this approach.

The notions gained in this course would provide a valuable foundation for someone seeking to explore the German language in greater depth. Users will have “broken the ice” and will have lowered possible feelings of anxiety as to their perceived inability to learn foreign languages. The knowledge gained in this course and the newly-acquired self-confidence should not be discounted: users of this programme would be prime candidates for a more comprehensive programme such as a combination of Pimsleur and Assimil.
This sounds like the kind of program I would recommend to friends who've been intimidated by Pimsleur and Assmil, but who are also convinced that they speak x almost like a native because they finished a DuoLingo tree.
1 x
Fernando Aramburu. Patria : 30 / 100
Ibrahim al-Koni, Les mages: 390 / 620
Dante Alighieri, Paradiso: 2 / 33

Speakeasy
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (C2). Studying: Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Dutch, Polish, and Russian; all with widely varying degrees of application, enthusiasm, and success.

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:36 am

kanewai wrote: ... This sounds like the kind of program I would recommend to friends who've been intimidated by Pimsleur and Assmil, but who are also convinced that they speak x almost like a native because they finished a DuoLingo tree.
Pretty much sums it up! Still, I noticed that there is an employment opportunity at N.A.S.A.
Employment Opportunity at NASA.JPG
Employment Opportunity at NASA.JPG (21.95 KiB) Viewed 115 times

I have submitted my application and am convinced that I will invited to sit job interview. In preparation, I intend viewing the Great Courses lectures on "Understanding the Quantum World."
Understanding the Quantum World.JPG
Understanding the Quantum World.JPG (33.82 KiB) Viewed 115 times

Having just watched the free Demo, I'm confident that I'll be offered the job.
2 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”