My Anki Died

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

My Anki Died

Postby Xenops » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:18 pm

I opened my Anki application on my labtop, and I got this message:

Which, until I can figure out where the automatic backups are, all of my Anki work is toast. :shock:

I guess now's the time to try Quizlet or Memrise, as I do find Anki rather boring.
0 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Xenops
Brown Belt

Re: My Anki Died

Postby Xenops » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:42 pm

Disregard: I found my backups. :oops: I didn't realize until now how much I customize my cards (something I can't do on Quizlet, it seems). I think I'll stick with Anki for now.

Update: Apparently the most recent backup I have is from a year ago, so all of my French cards are still lost. :cry: I have a backup of my entire Mac on Time Machine from last month, but I don't know how to just pick and choose things from there.

Newest update: I retrieved my cards from last month (quite an improvement!), but I still lost about 170 French cards. But, realistically, I was tired of many of them, and the ones I don't know as well will be made anew. ;)
6 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:51 pm

Maybe trying another system as you suggested might be worthwhile if you're feeling a little bored. Experiment - I prob haven't done that enough in my French learning. I have heavily relied on SRS programs (2 kinds) throughout my French learning and I'd recommend to beginning students to maybe switch things up every couple of months with regards to vocabulary and grammar retention - various SRS programs, word lists, extensive reading, highlighting words, Goldlist. Try them all until you find one that works for you (or more than one - could depend on your activity), or simply keep rotating through them to keep you interested!

Drop Anki for now is my advice, choose whichever method you are most curious about right now. My first deck of 10,000 cards, I deliberately deleted after a couple of years. What a slightly scary but very liberating feeling it was. I'm better off for it. Then I moved to Anki, from what I had learned about which cards worked best, I'd pushed out a lot of the time wasting rubbish layout cards and moved on. Now i'm going to try to avoid SRS programs for a while at least. See how that goes. Good luck Xenops with whatever you choose, just keep learning!
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:34 pm

Xenops wrote:Update: Apparently the most recent backup I have is from a year ago, so all of my French cards are still lost. /.../
Newest update: I retrieved my cards from last month (quite an improvement!), but I still lost about 170 French cards.

I sync my decks to AnkiWeb. There are some things that probably won't work in that interface, but it works fine as a backup. (Another option: Edit your settings in order to create/save backups more regularly.)
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:29 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Xenops wrote:Update: Apparently the most recent backup I have is from a year ago, so all of my French cards are still lost. /.../
Newest update: I retrieved my cards from last month (quite an improvement!), but I still lost about 170 French cards.

I sync my decks to AnkiWeb. There are some things that probably won't work in that interface, but it works fine as a backup. (Another option: Edit your settings in order to create/save backups more regularly.)

I do this also, plus then sync to phone. If one dies I can restore from the other.
(or from my daily Time Machine back-ups, or weekly Carbon Copy back-up...)

Seriously, anything you put a lot of time should be put on a CC back-up.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Xenops
Brown Belt

Postby Xenops » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:35 am

zenmonkey wrote:
jeff_lindqvist wrote:

I do this also, plus then sync to phone. If one dies I can restore from the other.

I started using the AnkiWeb just after I discovered I lost them. I don't realize what I can loose until I loose them. :oops: This should serve as a reminder to save all of my stuff more regularly (like once a week).
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.

Postby zenmonkey » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:20 am

Xenops wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:
jeff_lindqvist wrote:

I started using the AnkiWeb just after I discovered I lost them. I don't realize what I can loose until I loose them. :oops: This should serve as a reminder to save all of my stuff more regularly (like once a week).

Actually, it should be a reminder to set up an automatic backup system that does not depend only on Time Machine.
3 x

Xenops
Brown Belt

Postby Xenops » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:21 am

zenmonkey wrote:
Actually, it should be a reminder to set up an automatic backup system that does not depend only on Time Machine.

Aside from Time Machine, what sort of backup do you recommend?

Also, is there a way to keep the Anki deck from synchronizing? Now it wants to sync every time, and as a result, it doesn't keep the media (pictures and audio) with the cards. :?
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:23 am

Xenops wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:

Aside from Time Machine, what sort of backup do you recommend?

Also, is there a way to keep the Anki deck from synchronizing? Now it wants to sync every time, and as a result, it doesn't keep the media (pictures and audio) with the cards. :?

Personally, I use Carbon Copy - I have scripts that run automatically using that. And I can restart a copy of my Mac from any Mac if it fails.

As to the Anki sync issue - that seems odd - try this:

Finish Sync.

After that go into Tools>Advanced>Check Media Database.
It may report no errors but this check rebuilds the database.

Then go into Tools>Advanced>Check Database
Same thing here, it rebuilds the database.

Next you’ll sync by going to File>Sync
4 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:58 am

Xenops wrote:Also, is there a way to keep the Anki deck from synchronizing? Now it wants to sync every time, and as a result, it doesn't keep the media (pictures and audio) with the cards. :?

I don't know about the media bit, but regarding the "sync every time" bit,
Anki for PC > Tools > Preferences > Network > Automatically sync on profile open/close
Untick that option, then it doesn't sync unless you click the Sync icon (next to the Stats icon).

The "Synchronize audio and images too" option could be relevant to the media bit?

I've uninstalled Anki for Android but I know you can also set it so it doesn't sync unless you tell it to.
2 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”