Introductory Russian Grammar (audio-lingual approach)

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Speakeasy

Introductory Russian Grammar (audio-lingual approach)

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:08 pm

Preamble
Recently, following a suggestion I had received from Daristani, I took a quick look at the textbook “Introductory Russian Grammar”, 2nd edition, by Galina Stillman and Catherine Davidovitch, published in 1972 by John Wiley & Sons. The publisher still maintains a website page for this title, where the “Student’s Laboratory Manual” and accompanying Audio Recordings are freely-available for download. I ended up purchasing a second-hand copy of the textbook and a copy of the “Teacher’s Laboratory Manual and Audio Script.”

Introductory Russian Grammar, 2nd edition
Rather than attempt to describe the contents and approach of this textbook myself, I am providing here a brief extract from the Preface: “This Russian text attempts to combine the advantages of the traditional approach to the study of a foreign language with certain features of the modern conversational, inductive method. Basic to this combined approach is the use of a great number and variety of pattern sentences: short, typical Russian sentences which can be used in different ways to provide concentrated and appropriate material for language analysis, reading, and drill. In addition to pattern sentences, have been provided with dialogues or readings, often with both … The vocabulary used is entirely contemporary, and in the choice of words an effort has been made to take into account indications of word-frequency count. Vocabulary reviews have been incorporated. The total vocabulary employed includes approximately 1,300 words. … The new text places more emphasis on Russian culture and geography…”

Combined Grammar and Audio-lingual Approach
It is fairly clear, from reading the above extract, that the audio-lingual approach was incorporated into this textbook which, as the title suggests, employs a more traditional grammar approach to teaching the fundamentals of a foreign language. Having skimmed over the textbook rather quickly, I find that the title is actually something of a misnomer. That is, while grammar is indeed the “driver” used throughout this textbook, given that it is a basic introduction to both the spoken and written forms of the language employing dialogues, readings, drills, and exercises, it could have just as easily been titled simply “Introductory Russian.”

Supplementary Materials
The following supplementary materials were published to support the textbook:
Student’s Laboratory Manual to Accompany Introductory Russian Grammar, 2nd edition (ISBN: 0-471-0096-7)
Teacher’s Laboratory Manual and Script to Accompany Introductory Russian Grammar, 2nd edition (ISBN: 0-471-00740)
Tapes (presumably audio cassette tapes)

The "Student’s Laboratory Manual" contains exercises and drills in support of the materials presented in the main textbook. In most (but not all) instances, a textual representation of the accompanying the audio recordings is presented; however, it does not present a complete tape script, nor does it contain an answer key, both of which are to be found in the "Teacher’s Laboratory Manual and Script."

The publisher, John Wiley & Sons, still maintains a website page for this title, where the “Student’s Laboratory Manual” and accompanying Audio Recordings are freely-available for download, both of which can be downloaded either by chapter number or as a complete set under the section “Browse by Resource”. LINK: (http://bcs.wiley.com/he-bcs/Books?action=contents&itemId=0471007382&bcsId=3053)

Shortly after receiving my second-hand copy of the Teacher’s Manual, I sent a message to the publisher, of which a partial extract follows: “I have prepared a PDF version of my copy of the “Teacher’s Laboratory Manual and Audio Script” that I propose sending to you so that you might include it amongst the “Student Recourses” that are already available on your website. My view is that, since the textbook was published over 45 years ago, there is little likelihood that making the “Teacher’s Laboratory Manual and Audio Script” available would have a negative effect on the company’s revenues. My sole purpose is to help John Wiley & Sons provide assistance to users of the aforementioned textbook.” Hopefully, the publisher will respond favourably to my offer.

Excellent Resource!
For those who respond well to the somewhat traditional grammar approach to teaching foreign languages and who can either appreciate the benefits of, or at least support the disadvantages of, the audio-lingual method, the combined package of “Introductory Russian Grammar” and the Supplementary Materials makes for a very interesting introduction to the Russian language. As all of the major grammatical issues of the target language are covered, an independent learner will have acquired a “theoretical” knowledge of Russian approaching the A2-B1 range. However, given the limited vocabulary (1,300 words), the actual level would be lower. Still, it would be a great place to start before launching oneself headlong into Assimil, et cetera. Addendum: Prices for used copies of the textbook are quite low.

TO BE EDITED:
While I am reasonably satisfied with the above post, it is extremely unlikely that I typed it without incurring several typographical errors, grammatical errors, and errors of style.
Addendum: My predication proved to be correct.
7 x

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Re: Introductory Russian Grammar (audio-lingual approach)

Postby aravinda » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:12 am

Thank you for the review. I haven't studied it cover to cover, but I think it is one of the best Russian courses I own. Russian pronunciation sections are particularly good.
I was not aware of the existence of a Teacher's Manual: That is great news for me.By the way, you seem to have missed a digit in your ISBNs (They only have 9 digits. They should have 10 or 13). I tried to find a copy of the Teacher's Manual after reading your post but was not successful. I would appreciate if you can let me know where I can buy a copy.

Also, what do you think of Russian Made Simple? Despite its age and lack of audio (again couldn't find them, though cassettes seemed to have existed), it's one of my favourite Russian courses.
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:12 pm

aravinda, I seem to recall having typed the ISBN's from my copies of the laboratory manuals. However, I apologize for any typographical errors (please refer to the "TO BE EDITED" portion of my initial post).

In any event, when I was searching the online bookstores for copies of the "Teacher's Laboratory Manual" a few weeks ago, I believe that I came across four copies, all of them on AbeBooks. Having just revisited their site, it seems to me that there is now only one left: https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?isbn=9780471007401&cm_sp=mbc-_-9780471007401-_-all

I would be very surprised if John Wiley & Sons were to have an old copy of the "Teacher's Laboratory Manual" lying around somewhere. So, hopefully, they will accept my offer to send them a PDF copy for the purpose of uploading it to their webpage for the "Introductory Russian Grammar" textbook.

I have copies of the "French Made Simple", "Spanish Made Simple", and "German Made Simple" books, as well as the audio recordings for the latter. I would have to agree with Professor Argylles' review that, while the books in this series are well-designed, they are somewhat difficult to use as a primary source for a beginning independent learner and would better serve for review purposes. Before your post, I was not aware of the existence of the "Russian Made Simple" book, but I would assume that is just as well-designed as the other books in the series.
3 x

camuka
Languages: turkish, english

Postby camuka » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:13 pm

Dear speakeasy,

I have audio resources for introductory russian but not have “Teacher’s Laboratory Manual and Audio Script”.
Is it possible to share the pdf version you created . Thank you.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”