Reorganized Princeton Russian Course

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Reorganized Princeton Russian Course

Postby aravinda » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:53 am

I read an old post on the HTLAL forum about a " Princeton Russian Course" reorganized by LatinoBoy84. The issue of hosting these files was discussed and Ericounet had offered to host them on his site. I was not able to trace this "Reorganized Princeton Russian Course". Does anyone know what happened at the end?
Link to the discussion on HTLAL:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=0&TPN=1
0 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Re: Reorganized Princeton Russian Course

Postby aokoye » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:58 pm

I don't know what happened in the end but a quick google search of priston russian course gave me this page as one of the first hits. That may very well be a result of the thread you linked to.
2 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:45 am

Thank you, aokoye. I too found that on searching but the files are not "reorganized" as described in the original thread on HTLAL. For example, if remember correctly, LatinoBoy84 mentioned organizing all the PDFs into 6 PDFs but here there are lot more PDFs. Anyway, I haven't really studied the course, so I have no idea how good it is.
0 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:34 am

Personally I couldn't figure out how to use it and went with other courses instead. Very confusing.
1 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:29 pm

blaurebell wrote:Personally I couldn't figure out how to use it and went with other courses instead. Very confusing.
... The Emperor's New Clothes http://www.andersen.sdu.dk/vaerk/hersholt/TheEmperorsNewClothes_e.html
0 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)

Postby blaurebell » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:44 pm

Speakeasy wrote:
blaurebell wrote:Personally I couldn't figure out how to use it and went with other courses instead. Very confusing.
... The Emperor's New Clothes http://www.andersen.sdu.dk/vaerk/hersholt/TheEmperorsNewClothes_e.html

Uhm ... :?:
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:15 pm

blaurebell wrote: Uhm ... :?:
I apologize for the confusion, my wife frequently chides me over my sense of humour. My post, and the link to the "The Emperor's New Clothes", were meant as a sign of support to your comment that the Princeton Russian Course is not well organized and is thus difficult to use.

In the tale, most observers are clearly aware of the Emperor's sartorial failings, but are complicit in their silence. And then one day, someone, apparently unaware of the silent but common agreement to ignore the obvious, chooses to "say the unsayable."

In a similar manner, your comment stands in opposition to the widely-professed opinion that the Princeton Russian Course is a vital contribution to the body of educational materials for this language. I am sure that it is, particularly in cases where it is delivered by good instructor. However, from the perspective of an independent learner, I believe that it is not well-organized and is more difficult to use than many competing sets of materials. Unfortunately, even saying so invites criticism. Despite this, you chose "to say the unsayable" and I, maladroitly, offered a sign of support

My wife was right, as always.

EDITED:
Typos, wie immer!
Clarifications
3 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt

Postby blaurebell » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:02 am

Speakeasy wrote:In a similar manner, your comment stands in opposition to the widely-professed opinion that the Princeton Russian Course is a vital contribution to the body of educational materials for this language. I am sure that it is, particularly in cases where it is delivered by good instructor. However, from the perspective of an independent learner, I believe that it is not well-organized and is more difficult to use than many competing sets of materials. Unfortunately, even saying so invites criticism. Despite this, you chose "to say the unsayable" and I, maladroitly, offered a sign of support

Thanks for the support! You know, my teachers always told me that one day I should learn when to shut my mouth, because I always had a tendency to say the truth even if I can predict that it might backfire badly ;) In this case I wasn't even thinking about that though, I just wanted to add my 5ct and say that I think that this one is simply confusing, especially for an absolute beginner. With Russian one can get confused and overwhelmed even with really clearly organised material, so it's really a shame that they didn't bother to make it more accessible for use without a teacher. I'm sure it's an excellent resource if a teacher explains how to use it. For self-study I think there are better resources out there though: Assmil for example has several excellent versions, there is also Modern Russian - essentially FSI Russian -, the Duolingo Russian course is a good additional resource up to the last Checkpoint, there is the New Penguin Russian course which is excellent for grammar and if you feel entirely lost there is also Russian World 1 on Youtube which is super slow, but excellent as well! I myself was particularly confused by Russian although I actually spoke it until I was 6 - Russian World 1 was my choice, followed by Assimil + Duolingo. No need to make things even harder than they already are :D
2 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”