Is there anyone know where is good Polish dictionary with verb case and prepostions?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Oscard587
Yellow Belt
Languages: Korean (Native)
English (A2)
Russian (Beginner)

-Turkish, Polish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5866

Is there anyone know where is good Polish dictionary with verb case and prepostions?

Postby Oscard587 » Sun May 28, 2017 7:41 am

Since I decided to learn Polish, I'm looking for a dictionary which I could find some information about verbs and cases.

In my opinion, in order to learn Polish or any Slavic language, I need a information about verbs - not only conjugation, but with prepositions and cases.

I didn't take it seriously because I assumed roughly my Russian knowledge would help me a bit, but yesterday, I realized it could be serious fault if I didn't care about it.

For example..

In Russian, слушать need accusative case. So музыка becomes музыку.
-> слушать мкзыку.

It seems different in Polish, it looks like Słuchać takes Genitive case. Similar meaning, similar sound. But different case usage will bothers me a lot. These verbs are simple ones, however, other verbs would take more cases than just one..

So I decided to find some dictionary available online, however, surprisingly, there are so many dictionaries but still I haven't found what I'm looking for.

Maybe I could gather information from coursebooks during my study, but I want a reference for these information since coursebooks generally don't cover every aspect - just frequent ones.

I'll get a book '301 Polish verbs' soon cause it claims that book has information about it. but after that, I might be lost without detailed information.

Is there anyone know where it is? :roll:
Last edited by Oscard587 on Sun May 28, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Just because I accept the inevitability of my fate, does not mean I am in any hurry to embrace it!

Mais l'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.

Mooby
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Polish, German, Turkish

Re: Is there anyone know where is good Polish dictionary with verb case and prepostions?

Postby Mooby » Sun May 28, 2017 8:10 am

Have you tried the University of Pittsburgh Polish-English Dictionary?
I have found it indispensable. Case governance is indicated with the verbs as well as a complete list of conjugations.

http://www.lektorek.org/polish/
1 x

Oscard587
Yellow Belt
English (A2)
Russian (Beginner)

-Turkish, Polish, French

Re: Is there anyone know where is good Polish dictionary with verb case and prepostions?

Postby Oscard587 » Sun May 28, 2017 8:48 am

Mooby wrote:Have you tried the University of Pittsburgh Polish-English Dictionary?
I have found it indispensable. Case governance is indicated with the verbs as well as a complete list of conjugations.

http://www.lektorek.org/polish/

I tried it. But When I checked this dictionary I was using my phone. So maybe result was different.. well.. still I'm using my phone outside so I can't check it - it just shows simple word and list of usages on my phone. I should check it later on laptop. Thanks! If you didn't tell me then I would think lektorek is also don't give such information you mentioned. still need to check it. Anyway..

I saw that you are also Polish learner, then maybe you know, is there any resources related to this topic or did you used something for this? Verb case governance and something like that.

I checked conjugation dictionary from Poland and lektorek, well.. seems need more...
[Edit : Checked website]
0 x
Just because I accept the inevitability of my fate, does not mean I am in any hurry to embrace it!

Oscard587
Yellow Belt
English (A2)
Russian (Beginner)

-Turkish, Polish, French

Postby Oscard587 » Sun May 28, 2017 2:12 pm

Error correction ;

my case was closed, but I want to share what I've found.

http://wsjp.pl/index.php?pwh=0

this is better than any other Polish dictionary!
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”