Best dictionaries for use with LWT?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7480

Best dictionaries for use with LWT?

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:09 pm

I’ve recently started using LWT and I’m trying to figure out what the best dictionaries are for each language. My ideal dictionary:

1- fits well in the window and can be used without opening a pop-up window
2- has a large number of entries
3- can find the word no matter its case or tense
4- tells me what form the word is in and indicates its base form (and preferably also has a link to the entire conjugation/declination)
5- has common collocations and expressions

Some of you have been using LWT for a while. What dictionaries have you found to be the best for the languages you are studying?
2 x
(aka Easily Distracted Tortoise)

: 14007 / 50000 words - Output Challenge Spanish Writing 2018
: 1305 / 3000 minutes - Output Challenge Spanish Speaking 2018

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Re: Best dictionaries for use with LWT?

Postby blaurebell » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:38 pm

I don't know any dictionaries that fit all your criteria. Especially 4 is a bust. You will get the base form, but it won't tell you what form your original search term is. It would be great if Cooljugator could be integrated into LWT, but since their search doesn't work via the URL, I haven't figured out how to do it. It would already help if one could tell LWT not to automatically append the search string, but well ...

How good a dictionary is also depends on the language - Lingvo live is good for Russian, but whether it has example sentences seems to depend on the language. It does for Russian, but not for Spanish. Also, the dictionaries aren't on the same website aren't all equally good. The Spanish lingvo live dictionary finds "pelotudo" - my typical test word -, but the French dictionary doesn't find any slang. I tend to stick with my usual choices: lingvo live for Russian, wordreference for Spanish and French & Cooljugator in another tab.
3 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7480

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:18 pm

Word reference for Spanish does tell me the base form and tells me what form the word is in, so I'm pretty satisfied with it for Spanish, though it could be better, of course. For my other languages, I'm still looking.
1 x
(aka Easily Distracted Tortoise)

: 14007 / 50000 words - Output Challenge Spanish Writing 2018
: 1305 / 3000 minutes - Output Challenge Spanish Speaking 2018

Stefan
Green Belt

Postby Stefan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:32 pm

LWT makes it possible to sort words by frequency and export translations into Anki so I tried to be specific in the beginning but eventually figured that I'm not using the info anyway. A quick look says that I've got 19.376 words translated or ignored (names) just for German. So now I aim for a basic translation and edit it if I stumble upon a new context where the old translation doesn't fit.

If a dictionary gave me a perfect summary of base form and declination I might rethink, but often it can be difficult just to figure out the translation of a word. As a result, my main dictionaries are Glosbe and Google Translate API. They integrate with LWT so I can click on a word to autofill - no need to copy/paste. If I feel lost, I translate the whole sentence (GTr) to figure out the basic meaning.

Besides those two I use Linguee. Especially the "external sources" with a bunch of real world examples and their translations tend to be helpful. Unfortunately they don't offer any API so I tend to stick with Glosbe and Google Translate.
1 x

Teango
Green Belt
Languages: (* current focus)
n: en
b2-c1: de
b1-b2: es, fr, haw, nzs, ru*
Language Log: https://teango.wordpress.com/

Postby Teango » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:48 pm

blaurebell wrote:It would be great if Cooljugator could be integrated into LWT...

Cooljugator also works with Hawaiian - I'm impressed! :)
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”