The WiderNet Project: Possible Source of Language Materials

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: The WiderNet Project: Possible Source of Language Materials

Postby rdearman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:17 pm

I'd like to return to the original post and ask a question of either Eric, or Speakeasy. Do you know if they are "scraping" sites which are non-English? I'd be interested in looking at some Educational stuff in French or Italian.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:50 pm

rdearman wrote: ... Do you know if they are "scraping" sites which are non-English? I'd be interested in looking at some Educational stuff in French or Italian.
I have yet not taken the time to conduct an in-depth tour of the WiderNet website. Nevertheless, I suspect that such materials, if they were hosted, would be included in the eGranary Digital Library. In the original post, I included the text from one of Laura Ashcraft's Emails (under the "Portals" section) wherein she seems to answer your question. Here is a partial extract:

"We have several educational portals (Education Essentials, Life Skills) ... We do not have a formal Language portal as yet, it is intertwined with our portal called Education Essentials Portal (can be seen here: http://www.widernet.org/portals/index.php?PortalID=82) ... As you see in our website describing the eGranary, we provide a very large range of resources to our users (spanning from medical portals to ICT training).”

I suggest that you conduct a tour of their portal. If you do not find something that suits your needs, I suspect that WiderNet's mission statement will eventually lead them in that direction. Also, you might wish to submit an information inquiry to: Ms. Laura Ashcraft, MSIS, Digital Librarian at the WiderNet Project. Her Email address is as follows: Laura Ashcraft <lashcraft@widernet.org> She has kindly offered to respond to our questions concerning WiderNet and/or the eGranary Digital Library.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:36 am

I had a quick look through the archive. It didn't seem to have a lot of non-english content, although some of the websites were language related.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”