Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Re: Korean resources?

Postby lichtrausch » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:07 am

This a good Japanese channel for learning Korean:

だひチャンネルI 韓国語&旅行
2 x

kylemw
Languages: English (N), Malay (N), Bahasa Indonesia (intermediate), Chinese (intermediate), Russian (beginner), Spanish (beginner), Korean (beginner)

Postby kylemw » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:34 am

Has anyone tried Viki Learn yet? They just launched this new language learning site that uses K-Dramas to learn Korean.

https://welcome.learn.viki.com
0 x

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:37 am

I just wanted to share this site with anyone who happens to already know Japanese or Chinese (mandarin/cantonese)

http://hanjaro.juntong.or.kr/text_translater.aspx?hu=1

When you paste the text it inserts hanja next to the words. You also have the option of choosing Chinese characters used in Japan, China, and Taiwan. It's not perfect of course. For one thing, there are homonyms in Korean. However, it's usually obvious when the hanja is wrong based on the context but when the hanja is correct it saves me so much energy and time.

Here's an example with the hanja option.
7일(日) 한 매체(媒體)는 ‘프로듀스 101’의 네 번째(番째) 시즌이 내년(來年) 4월(月) 방송(放送)을 목표(目標)로 제작(製作)을 준비(準備) 중(中)이라고 보도(報道)했다. 이에 대(對)해 Mnet 측(側)은 “새로운 시즌을 논의(論議) 중(中)이다. 하지만 편성(編成) 등(等) 자세(仔細)한 사항(事項)은 아직 확정(確定)된 부분(部分)이 없다”며 말을 아꼈다.

‘프로듀스 101’ 시리즈는 그동안 아이오아이, 워너원 등(等)을 탄생시켜 대중(大衆)들의 뜨거운 반응(反應)을 이끌어 냈다. 또한, 가장 최근(最近) 시즌인 ‘프로듀스 48’에서는 아이즈원까지 출범(出帆)시켰다.

I like it because it makes reading easier and faster for me and I actually have a lot of links to articles I saved that I planned to read. I'm pretty sure I'll read more Korean in 2019 than I did in 2018. this site makes me so much more motivated to read Korean. I always hated reading hangeul-only texts and having to figure out stuff from context only when I know the word is based on hanja and it's hiding behind hangeul just because I'm so comfortable reading in Japanese. I use readlang.com to save words that I want to add words to anki.
Last edited by Sayonaroo on Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
5 x

lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Postby lichtrausch » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:12 pm

This guy makes videos for Koreans learning English, but I find them very helpful for learning Korean. He provides lots of examples, the videos have great information density (you won't find small talk here), and he has great insights into the differences between Korean and English.

2 x

Jean-Luc
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English & German (C), Italian & Spanish (B), Russian, Chinese, Croatian (A)

Postby Jean-Luc » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:47 am

How to Study Korean is good stuff. Simple and efficient. https://www.howtostudykorean.com

My review on my blog (Google tool in the side bar to translate or improve your French:-) https://labdeslangues.blog/2018/08/25/un-cours-de-coreen-qui-ne-seoule-pas/

Assimil is great but not for starting from scratch for an average learner. It lacks some videos too...
0 x

Jean-Luc
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English & German (C), Italian & Spanish (B), Russian, Chinese, Croatian (A)

Postby Jean-Luc » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:28 am

Speakeasy wrote:
Assimil le coréen sans peine
The Assimil method needs no introduction in this forum. Broadly speaking, ratings on Amazon.FR of the entire Assimil product line are quite high. So, I was rather surprised by the lower-than-average rating of the “Assimil le coréen sans peine” course. Although, quite often, I have found Customer Reviews on Amazon.FR tend to be limited to rather terse comments expressing no more than the reviewer’s like or dislike of a product, in this case, a few reviewers have taken the publisher to task in greater detail. Nonetheless, having read and re-read the negative reviews, it is not clear to me whether or not the reviewers were actually aware of the challenge that learning an Asian language represents for a native speaker of an Indo-European language. That is, while the reviews are indeed negative, it is possible that the individuals associated their difficulties of learning the Korean language with the Assimil method itself and concluded that their lack of progress was due to the approach adopted by this highly-respected publisher … qui sait? I would assign more credence to a review submitted by an experienced independent language-learner on this forum than some unknown individual whose first attempt at learning a foreign language may have debuted with Assimil Korean.

The Korean Assimil is as good as the others (I have used eleven so far..) In my opinion only the Chinese's one is not so good for beginners. The characters are too small to read and the methode should have two books instead of one for this language. The latin looks very good and surprising, I just start it!
1 x

Jean-Luc
Orange Belt

Postby Jean-Luc » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:38 am

kylemw wrote:Has anyone tried Viki Learn yet? They just launched this new language learning site that uses K-Dramas to learn Korean.

https://welcome.learn.viki.com

I wrote a review on Viki on my blog and the language learning option sounded too simple at first... In fact this is a great tool especially for languages with characters. Unfortunatly very few films have yet the function available.

Here is my top of good series in Korean and Chinese mostly on Viki (in French but Google translation tool could be found in the sidebar).
https://labdeslangues.blog/2019/01/10/2 ... -a-tomber/
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:29 pm

Korean Podcasts
ryanheise wrote:These lists were created using a script that analyses and estimates the difficulty of a set of podcast episodes. Hopefully it will help Korean language learners to find which episodes of Korean podcasts might be easiest to understand for listening practice…
Korean podcasts sorted by difficulty
3 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:04 am

Asian Languages Reading Level Rated Children’s Books
Pinecone wrote:I was introduced to Let's Read: Asia's Free Digital Library for Children today. It has digital children's books in the following languages … Korean (한국어) …[inserted: amongst numerous others]
Asian Languages Reading Level Rated Children’s Books
2 x

pilot_2270
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Korean (low-intermediate)

Postby pilot_2270 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:00 pm

Dictionaries:
    • Naver Dictionary (en.dict.naver.com)
    • National Institute of Korean Language Dictionary (krdict.korean.go.kr/eng)

Machine Translation Services:
    • Naver Translator (papago.naver.com/)
    • Google Translate (translate.google.com/)

Pronunciation Guides:
    • Darakwon – Korean Pronunciation Guide (Kim, Yoon, and Lee 2017)
    • University of Hawaii – The Sounds of Korean (Choo and O’Grady 2003)

Reference Grammars:
    • Routledge – Korean: A Comprehensive Grammar (Yeon and Brown 2011)
    • Routledge – Modern Korean Grammar (Byon 2017)

Comprehensive Textbook Series:
    • Darakwon – Korean Made Easy, various levels
    • Darakwon – Practical Korean, Levels 1–5
    • Darakwon – Korean Grammar in Use, Volumes 1–3
    • University of Hawaii – Integrated Korean, various levels

Online Lecture Series:

Vocabulary Books:
    • TTMIK – Verbs Guide, Volumes 1 and 2
    • Korea University Press – Power Up! Korean Vocabulary
    • Darakwon – 2000 Essential Korean Words for Beginners
    • Darakwon – 2000 Essential Korean Words for Intermediate
    • Yonsei – Vocabulary Practice for Foreigners, Volume 1–3