Please recommend an anki alternative

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
ManyCupsOfTea
Languages: English (N). Actively learning Arabic and Italian. Abandoned Japanese. French on the back-burner for now.

Please recommend an anki alternative

Postby ManyCupsOfTea » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:21 pm

I'm happy to pay for a good flashcard app, but anki is too expensive. I typically only use flashcards for things like learning alphabets and the capabilities of anki are far beyond what I need. I can't justify paying the £24.

Hopefully someone can recommend another app. This is my wishlist:

- Syncs between iOS version and Mac/web
- iOS version works without an internet connection
- SRS, not just cards
- Simple interface
- Modestly priced or free
0 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Re: Please recommend an anki alternative

Postby arthaey » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:54 pm

Before I switched to Anki (for its greater flexibility & programmer-friendliness), I was a huge fan of Flashcards Deluxe. $4 for iOS. I think it has everything on your wishlish.

The developer of the app is very friendly & responsive. I liked the app so much that I even bought gift-copies for one of my sisters.

Give it a try! :) There is a free "lite" version to let you see if you like the interface, and the full version if you want more than 4 decks of 6 cards each. ;)

There's an Android version as well, but I've never used it myself.
1 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:14 pm

Memrise could work for you fine. The app has been improved a lot, especially the synchronization. Yes, it is a bit complicated, as Memrise uses other kinds of exercise, and creating content is a bit harder (the format is much more rigid than Anki). But it is free, it works, it is SRS
0 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:17 pm

I bet you could also create an "SRS spreadsheet" if spreadsheet macros/functions don't scare you. :)
0 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

stelingo
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (C1), Portuguese (C1), Italian (B2), German (High B1), Russian (B1), Czech (B1), Dutch (passive B1), Catalan (passive B1), Mandarin (A2), Polish (A2), Japanese (A2), Modern Standard Arabic (A1), Egyptian Arabic (A1), Turkish (Beginner) Thai (beginner). Korean (Beginner) Dabbled in Swedish, Norwegian, Slovak, Ukrainian, Romanian, Vietnamese

Postby stelingo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:56 pm

https://quizlet.com/

Offers digital and paper flashcards, also includes games and quizzes. Free and syncs perfectly. However it doesn't offer SRS.
1 x
Kolik jazyků znáš, tolikrát jsi člověkem.

ManyCupsOfTea
Languages: English (N). Actively learning Arabic and Italian. Abandoned Japanese. French on the back-burner for now.

Postby ManyCupsOfTea » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:02 pm

Cavesa wrote:Memrise could work for you fine. The app has been improved a lot, especially the synchronization. Yes, it is a bit complicated, as Memrise uses other kinds of exercise, and creating content is a bit harder (the format is much more rigid than Anki). But it is free, it works, it is SRS

I have played around with Memrise. I do like it, but in order to use it offline you must have a subscription and I don't use it enough to justify the cost. I prefer to do SRS reps during my commute and there is no internet reception on the tube - so offline capability is a must! It's a shame, as I would probably stick with Memrise otherwise.

I will try the lite version of Flashcards Deluxe. Also, has anyone used Flashcard Hero?
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:52 pm

ManyCupsOfTea wrote:
Cavesa wrote:Memrise could work for you fine. The app has been improved a lot, especially the synchronization. Yes, it is a bit complicated, as Memrise uses other kinds of exercise, and creating content is a bit harder (the format is much more rigid than Anki). But it is free, it works, it is SRS

I have played around with Memrise. I do like it, but in order to use it offline you must have a subscription and I don't use it enough to justify the cost. I prefer to do SRS reps during my commute and there is no internet reception on the tube - so offline capability is a must! It's a shame, as I would probably stick with Memrise otherwise.

I will try the lite version of Flashcards Deluxe. Also, has anyone used Flashcard Hero?

Ah, I didn't know you needed the paid version for offline use. Sorry.

Well, Anki still looks like a reasonable investment to me (as it is a one time payment), even though I agree the price of 24 euro is seriously worth thinking about, not just blindly buying.
1 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:33 am

stelingo wrote:https://quizlet.com/

Offers digital and paper flashcards, also includes games and quizzes. Free and syncs perfectly. However it doesn't offer SRS.

It doesn't offer SRS in its free version. There is a $19.99 paid version that does offer SRS. That said I would be surprised if the iOS version works without the internet.
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

israelrt
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Malayalam A2, Hindi A2, French (A1), Latin (beginner), Norwegian (beginner), Finnish (beginner), Latvian (beginner), Hebrew (beginner), Hungarian (beginner)

Postby israelrt » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:34 am

The Android version of Anki is free and opensource.
It is called Ankidroid. It is excellent.
0 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:02 am

Always one to incorporate both old and new technologies in my studies, I currently favour good old-fashioned pen and paper with my own spaced review strategy these days. This is partly down to my love of cursive writing (something I picked up whilst learning the Russian cyrillic alphabet), and partly because I suspect the more intricate and attentive hand-eye coordination and motor movements involved in handwriting lead to enhanced encoding in memory. I also like to hold a tangible physical artifact of my learning in my hands, one that has real offline dog-eared form and hard-earned teacup rings, which is not simply composed of bland bytes and fluffy digital clouds.

Nevertheless, I have used several spaced repetition flashcard apps over the last decade (e.g., Pauker, Declan, iFlash, Mnemosyne, Memrise, Quizlet, Cram when it was better known as Flashcard Exchange, and various incarnations of Anki), and my favourite so far and the one I currently have on my iPod is Flashcards Deluxe. It has a simple yet intuitive interface with lots of customisable options, as well as smooth side-swipe haptic navigation, and it lets me sync files automatically in Dropbox folders. Furthermore, as I think Arthaey mentioned in an earlier post, the developer is eager to continually improve the software and respond to user feedback, which is always a plus.
4 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”