Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Re: Please recommend an anki alternative

Postby lingua » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:18 am

ManyCupsOfTea wrote:I will try the lite version of Flashcards Deluxe. Also, has anyone used Flashcard Hero?

I tried Flashcard Hero but there was no way to add sound files to it. It did computerized pronunciation based on the target language being chosen on the computer but over time I realized it didn't handle the Thai tones so I got rid of it. It was only a few dollars (I don't recall how much but around $5 or so I believe). I tried another app that I liked (may have been Mnemosyne but not 100% sure) but it wasn't stable and kept crashing on the iMac.

I have not been successful in finding an app similar to Memrise which I still find to be the best SRS program out there for me. I just couldn't get into Anki. But I want an offline option because I am afraid that Memrise may decide to stop supporting the Web app ... they seem more interested in gamifying their Web apps which I have no interest in.
0 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

dynamicappdesign
Languages: English(N), Korean(intermediate)

Postby dynamicappdesign » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:56 pm

I may be a bit biased- but I highly suggest SmartCards+. I created this app after falling in love with spaced repetition. I had good success with Anki, but it just didn't work exactly the way I wanted it to. It's fairly new but users really seem to like it a lot. Free to download and currently offering one month free of premium use.

http://smartcardsplus.com/

Best,

Joe
1 x

80Percent
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish A2 (Done for now). Mandarin A1.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8270

Postby 80Percent » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:54 pm

dynamicappdesign wrote:I may be a bit biased- but I highly suggest SmartCards+. I created this app after falling in love with spaced repetition. I had good success with Anki, but it just didn't work exactly the way I wanted it to. It's fairly new but users really seem to like it a lot. Free to download and currently offering one month free of premium use.

http://smartcardsplus.com/

Best,

Joe

Thanks! Just downloaded the trial, might move from Quizlet to this, I really like that it tells you when to review which cards after so and so time past. Thanks. Any codes floating around?
0 x
杰西

jimmyloi92
Languages: English, Vietnamese, Chinese

Postby jimmyloi92 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:47 pm

Ulangi App is similar to Anki and focus on learning vocabulary. It's available on both iOS and Android for free.
0 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:50 am

I know you have said you can’t justify the cost of the anki iOS app but I would second Cavesa and say that it is well worth it.

I think many people are so accustomed to free apps or $2 apps that the anki app seems outrageously priced - not saying this is your situation, you may be genuinely financially struggling, I don’t know.

Anyway, it’s one of my most used apps, second only to my web browser and email. And I’ve been using it for four years, so it has cost me $7.50 AUD pa. That seems like peanuts to me.

It fulfills all of your requirements and I haven’t found or heard of another app that does. And it supports mp3 which is one of my requirements.
0 x

Beli Tsar
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Ancient Greek (intermediate reading), Latin (Beginner) Farsi (Beginner), Biblical Hebrew (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9548

Postby Beli Tsar » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:33 pm

lingua wrote:I have not been successful in finding an app similar to Memrise which I still find to be the best SRS program out there for me. I just couldn't get into Anki. But I want an offline option because I am afraid that Memrise may decide to stop supporting the Web app ... they seem more interested in gamifying their Web apps which I have no interest in.

I've tried a good range, and I really haven't found anything that remotely comes near Memrise for actual effectiveness. It's just so well designed.
It is a bit harder to get cards into than Anki, but I'm currently giving up on Anki for most things, because it takes several times longer to get things into my head.

I'd be deeply surprised if they stopped supporting their various apps... and I don't think the gamification has actually got worse recently.
0 x
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin Reading
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin 'Films'

zeplang
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate)

Postby zeplang » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:04 am

I really like the app called "Studies" for the mac and iphone, but it does have some issues. Also, it is better for people that like to make their own cards, as it doesn't offer any direct links to shared flashcard libraries.

I have used it for years and the best part about it for me is the ability to create, edit and arrange flashcards with the mac app. Then ideally for me all my studying is done on the iphone app, and the two are then synced via iCloud. Unfortunately, sync times became outrageously long for me. So lately I've stopped adding new cards to that app and just maintain what I have on the iphone so that I can do without syncing. I believe the problem is something that manifests with a large number of cards or cards that have been on the app a long time with space-repetition scheduling (as I have many cards that have been on it for years). So for the new user, I think you could make good use of it for quite sometime and perhaps not have any issues.

For all my new cards, I have now been using Flashcards Deluxe. One great thing about this app is that the developer uses it himself for his own language studies, so he is good about finding and fixing bugs and motivated to want to add useful features. The are different ways of loading and syncing cards, but I use the method he offers of downloading with a connection to Google Drive (via spreadsheets created there).

The Studies app developer does not use the app himself for long-term study of anything, so unfortunately that means the sync issues I experience are not likely to ever to be solved because he doesn't maintain a test deck that he studies daily on a long-term basis which would reveal the same problems. Most users of his app will buy it and only use it for a limited time (ie, a 4 month course, etc) and so never experience the problems. So he is not motivated to solve them. His iphone app is free though and I would at least check it out. You could put at least some of your cards on it. (the mac companion app cost $).
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”