Android app: 10,000 sentences

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
puzz

Android app: 10,000 sentences

Postby puzz » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:10 am

This is a small Android project I started for my own language learning. The app is based on the Tatoeba sentences database, it will present you a sequence of 10,000 sentences in increasing order of complexity. For each sentence you need to guess all the words.

Google play link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... 0sentences

After each word the application will copy that word in the clipboard. If you have "Tap to translate" enabled in Google Translate -- you can easily check the translation after each step (the "Tap to translate" widget will appear in the upper right corner of the screen).
The app also uses text-to-speach, if it is available for that language (but if it isn't there are many TTS engines on Google Play store for languages missing in most Android phones).

The app allows you to "annotate" words. I use it to create my own dictionary entry, each time I see a new/unknown word. Sometimes the word is just a variation of a word I already had in my dictionary, in that case it can be added in an existing annotation. For example, is I learn Italian I'll have an annotation "walk" and it will contain all the words "camminare" (to walk), "camminavo" (I walked), and "camminero" (I will walk). Now, users are free not to annotate words, but I found that it helps me to memorise and recognise them later.

There are currently 24 languages in two "directions". So, for example there is "French for English speakers" and "English for French speakers". I'll probably add more languages with time.

Hope you like it. And feedback is welcome :)

PS. The source is on github: https://github.com/tkrajina/10000sentences
7 x
I'm a software developer from Croatia. I'm not an experienced language learner, but I kind-of speak 4 languages (from better to worse): Croatian (native), Italian, English and Slovenian.

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Cebuano (basic spoken daily, best L2), Spanish (beginner, but can read), Esperanto (beginner and not maintained). Sometimes dabble with Dutch, Serbian, Slovak, Czech, German and Arabic.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5133&start=30

Re: Android app: 10,000 sentences

Postby Whodathunkitz » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:19 pm

I absolutely love this app.

I'm past 1500 Spanish sentences.

As it's source is tatoeba, some translations are pretty straightforward. Some are idioms

Strong as a horse (English)
Strong as a bull (Spanish)

And some phrases are very different.

But that's the source text.

The app itself works well with no connectivity so ideal for travel.

Thank you very much for creating this!

At some point I would like to add Cebuano as a language.

I definitely recommend it.
1 x
2018 Cebuano SuperChallenge 1 May 2018-Dec 2019
: 150 / 600 SC days:
: 6 / 1250 Read (aim daily 2000 words):
: 299 / 9000 Video (aim daily 15 minutes):

puzz

Postby puzz » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:26 am

Whodathunkitz wrote:I absolutely love this app.
(...)
At some point I would like to add Cebuano as a language.

Glad you like it. As for the Cebuano, I plan to add new languages when they reach ~10,000 sentences on Tatoeba. For some languages I was able to use other sentence databases. For example the EU parliament corpus for Slovenian, but I'm not satisfied with it, the sentences are obviously political in nature, but for small languages it's a problem to get enough translated sentences.

If you know of any sentence corpus for Cebuano (with a license allowing to reuse it) I might add it even before the 10,000 threshold on Tatoeba.
1 x
I'm a software developer from Croatia. I'm not an experienced language learner, but I kind-of speak 4 languages (from better to worse): Croatian (native), Italian, English and Slovenian.

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Cebuano (basic spoken daily, best L2), Spanish (beginner, but can read), Esperanto (beginner and not maintained). Sometimes dabble with Dutch, Serbian, Slovak, Czech, German and Arabic.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5133&start=30

Postby Whodathunkitz » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:01 am

puzz wrote:
If you know of any sentence corpus for Cebuano (with a license allowing to reuse it) I might add it even before the 10,000 threshold on Tatoeba.

No I don't.

Best I've come up with is
1) Bible and that's not sentence by sentence and
2) tatoeba.
3) There is Wolff's (sp?) Dictionary and
4) binisaya.com but I don't want to overload binisaya's servers.

Tatoeba (from memory) only has around 200 sentences for ceb to English.

But it has around 800 for ceb to German.

For my own purposes (Memrise course) I did a google spreadsheet with cebuano, Germán and google translate formula for de-en. The German wasn't tested but was there as a note to TRY and help.

1000 sentences is still useful when there's little else!

[edited for clarity]
Last edited by Whodathunkitz on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
2018 Cebuano SuperChallenge 1 May 2018-Dec 2019
: 150 / 600 SC days:
: 6 / 1250 Read (aim daily 2000 words):
: 299 / 9000 Video (aim daily 15 minutes):

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:16 pm

ロータス wrote:Why no Japanese?

Would you trust Tatoeba for Japanese? I know it's been cleaned up a lot, but has it been cleaned up enough?
0 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

Hrhenry
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish (C2), Italian (C2), Catalan, Galician, Portuguese, Norwegian

Studies: Turkish (B2), Polish, Ojibwe, Indonesian

Postby Hrhenry » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:27 am

I've only checked it out for Turkish and Hungarian, but I like it a lot. It's a great app.

R.
==
1 x

Alexia
Languages: my name is alexia and i am a blogger

Postby Alexia » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:38 pm

Hello guys,,

"This app is absolutely brilliant!" '10,000 Sentences' has completely transformed my approach to language study. It is a useful tool for acquiring vocabulary and grammar because of the wide variety of phrases presented. The user-friendly layout allows for easy browsing, and the interactive activities make the learning experience interesting and effective.top follow Whether you're a beginner or looking to enhance fluency, this app caters to all levels. The sheer volume of sentences allows for continuous practice, making it a must-have for language enthusiasts. Kudos to the developers for creating a game-changing app that makes language learning both enjoyable and efficient!"
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:23 pm

Doesn't load on new android devices. Hasn't been updated in years. Can't be bothered to modify the source code.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”