Is there interest in a History of English ESL course?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
FreeEasy
White Belt
Languages: English (N)

Student of:
German, Japanese

Is there interest in a History of English ESL course?

Postby FreeEasy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:01 pm

Hello all,

I'm posting in order to run an idea I had for an online course by our community of non-native English speakers & learners.

Recently, I had the idea of developing an online course for ESL students that centred around the examination of the English language through history. The students will learn not only the history of the English language but also become better acquainted with the structure of the language through examination and comparison of authentic English material.

I think there's a distinct lack of linguistics geared ESL material for learners who are interested in the real meat and potatoes of language description. Personally, I've found a better understanding of underlying language structure helpful in learning new languages and I'm sure there are others like me. My goal is to approach the subject through a linguistics lense, while minimizing the more obtuse jargon as much as possible. The course would target the material towards the linguist layperson whose desire it is to learn more about the history of English, leading to a better understanding of the structure and usage of modern English.

I'm in the preliminary planning stages at the moment and I would just like to have some initial feedback and/or commentary on how people feel about this idea. Is this something you are interested in and would invest your time in going through?

Material would be presented in both handouts and video lectures.

Thank you for your time,

FreeEasy
0 x
Die Verwandlung : 1 / 3
RTK Vol. 1: 11 / 56

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”