Booktube

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Booktube

Postby MamaPata » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:33 pm

I have seen a few posts around the forum about BookTube and it being a great way of a) listening to native speakers, and b) finding book recommendations in your target languages. I've come across a few suggestions and I just thought it would be great to get a few more thoughts. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have come across a few French booktubers but they tend to focus on romance novels. Which is great, but I read enough of these already! :lol: So I am particularly looking for some that are a bit more serious?

I love love love Jen Campbell who does videos in English. She does a lot of recommendations and I've come across some great things through her (but all in English). She's particularly interested in fairy tales and poetry, but she also talks a lot about representation in literature, so I would strongly suggest her LGBT+ book recs and her videos on disability.
6 x
Corrections appreciated.

Ogs
Languages: Swedish (N), English (C2), Italian (B1+) French (Intermediate)

Re: Booktube

Postby Ogs » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:21 pm

I've also noticed the same thing, it seems that the majority of (popular) booktubers focus on contemporary and young adult books (which is fine of course, but not really my thing :)).

My favorite French booktuber is probably HajarRead, she's in Morocco, reads lot's of classics, but also newer 'literary' books.

Another one that unfortunately has been inactive for some months is All You Need is Book, which does similar videos.

What I try to do is to search using the French title of books on youtube, sometimes that gives me some interesting channels. Another thing you could try is to check the subscriptions of the channels you like (go to the user's profile, click on the "Channels" tab).
9 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:57 pm

Ogs wrote:What I try to do is to search using the French title of books on youtube, sometimes that gives me some interesting channels. Another thing you could try is to check the subscriptions of the channels you like (go to the user's profile, click on the "Channels" tab).
Two genius ideas in one post. Thanks! :-)
0 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:28 pm

I have watched a fair bit of Booktube in my time, but I never really found anyone I liked as much as Tatiana. She is Brazilian and as such speaks Portuguese. She's a mature reader who reads lots of classics and things like that, but she reads fantasy and more contemporary stuff too. I dunno, I always found her videos to be interesting and really relaxing, but I haven't watched her for a while.

Here's a random video I picked from her channel:
2 x

Tati
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), Galician (B2), Mandarin Chinese (Beginner), Dutch (Beginner)

Postby Tati » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:52 pm

Spoonary wrote:I have watched a fair bit of Booktube in my time, but I never really found anyone I liked as much as Tatiana. She is Brazilian and as such speaks Portuguese. She's a mature reader who reads lots of classics and things like that, but she reads fantasy and more contemporary stuff too. I dunno, I always found her videos to be interesting and really relaxing, but I haven't watched her for a while.

I've just fallen in loved with her, thank you so much for sharing!
1 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:40 pm

Tati wrote:I've just fallen in loved with her, thank you so much for sharing!

You're welcome! I wasn't sure there would be much demand for Portuguese, but Tatiana is too lovely not to share. I'm glad you thought so too :)
3 x

rlnv
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby rlnv » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:37 pm

MamaPata wrote:I have come across a few French booktubers but they tend to focus on romance novels. Which is great, but I read enough of these already! :lol: So I am particularly looking for some that are a bit more serious?

Hi MamaPata. Can you please provide the channel names for the French booktubers that do romance novels. I'd like to listen to one or two. :D
0 x

whatiftheblog
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (C2?), Spanish (~B1)

Postby whatiftheblog » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:33 am

I quite like this woman's channel / voice / general presentation skills: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAmsG6 ... pGCfHQ3mig
1 x
Books completed: 5 / 20 5 / 20

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:36 pm

rlnv wrote:Hi MamaPata. Can you please provide the channel names for the French booktubers that do romance novels. I'd like to listen to one or two. :D

Okay, apologies for the incredibly slow response to this - this is the first time I've had access to a laptop. I didn't watch a great deal of them, so they may be less romance-centred than my impression. But these were some of the ones I came across.

Margaud Liseuse is fairly popular - I liked her, I thought she was very cheerful and calm. But when I looked up some of her recommendations, they looked quite romance centred.

Some others I've come across: Brody Books, Bulledop, Le Souffle des Mots, Moody Take a Book
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Postby crush » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:46 pm

I wish i could find something like this for Basque... any tips on what exactly to search for? Searching for "books" or "book recommendations" in Basque didn't really turn up anything :/
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”