Occitan

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Re: Occitan

Postby Saim » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:59 pm

I'd go for the Lengadocian-based "referential" standard. If you're in an Occitan speakers' meetup in Marselha they're likely to be Occitanists and neoparlants so I'd imagine they'd be pretty familiar with referential Occitan. Plus if you already have an understanding of a couple of Romance languages (especially French or Catalan) bridging the gap between the different lengas d'òc isn't so hard.
2 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

schlaraffenland
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2)
Actively studying: French (C1), Japanese (~N5)
My old flames: Latin, Ancient Greek (Koine, Attic, Homeric)
On ice for now: Spanish, Korean, Turkish, Norwegian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5831

Postby schlaraffenland » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:55 am

Saim and zenmonkey, thank you for the advice! I will tentatively begin my Occitan adventure in the early Fall, then...
1 x
: 120 / 150 Expressions françaises (120/150)

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:48 am

schlaraffenland wrote:Saim and zenmonkey, thank you for the advice! I will tentatively begin my Occitan adventure in the early Fall, then...

Be careful with interference from French. While it can be a great bridge - if you find that it is infecting your French, then you'll have to make a choice between pushing through or focusing on one or the other. Personally, I need to only do one Romance language at a time. I've put off further work on Catalan or Occitan until my Portuguese is in B2 land.
4 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

schlaraffenland
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2)
Actively studying: French (C1), Japanese (~N5)
My old flames: Latin, Ancient Greek (Koine, Attic, Homeric)
On ice for now: Spanish, Korean, Turkish, Norwegian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5831

Postby schlaraffenland » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:12 pm

zenmonkey wrote:Be careful with interference from French. While it can be a great bridge - if you find that it is infecting your French, then you'll have to make a choice between pushing through or focusing on one or the other. Personally, I need to only do one Romance language at a time. I've put off further work on Catalan or Occitan until my Portuguese is in B2 land.

Yeah, this is certainly a concern of mine as well. I guess the actual experience will make it clear within a week or two of starting as to whether I will have difficulty. I had six years concurrently of French and Spanish in school and never once jumbled them in speaking or writing, but I found in later years that I sometimes confused Spanish and Latin (!). I hope that as long as I keep the proportions of study time as equal as possible, I'll be able to allot each language its proper and separate space.
0 x
: 120 / 150 Expressions françaises (120/150)

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:23 am

Saim wrote:Alidé Sans (singer-songwriter; Aranese)
I found out about her by accident and she is pretty fantastic.

I must admit that I'm more pulled towards Gascon than any other Occitan dialect.

Here is a native speaker of Gascon, from the wonderful TV programme BIAIS. The French countryside is drop dead gorgeous. French traditional cultures connected with agriculture, fishing, and the rural world, in this case Gascon culture, are something we don't often see outside of France, which I find a great shame.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5nbadl

You can hear the very distinctive Gascon trait of Latin /f/ -> [h].
2 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Thu May 31, 2018 7:41 am

Time to bump this thread up again.

Some resources that I found:

Gascon radio and podcasts.

The website gascohna.com is frequented by many Gascon speakers. The layout of the website is extremely frustrating to use, but no where else online will you have as much insightful discussion IN Gascon and about the Gascon language. They also talk about the culture, the architecture, the toponyms of their country.

A fantastic YT channel for Niçois, Nissart.

A YT channel for Limousin

Mescladis e còps de gula. An excellent blog written by a Limousinist, sometimes his entries are written in Occitan, usually in French, but very insightful posts in any case.

A channel from the Valadas Occitanas in Italy.
3 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

guyome
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N)

Postby guyome » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:12 pm

https://www.occitan-aveyron.fr/fr
Hours of recordings of native speakers from Aveyron (a northern Languedocian dialect)

SuveProd
Puta de mòrt
Two youtube channels with plenty of audio material

Viure al País
A weekly TV show, usually filmed in a different place each week (I don't know if it can be accessed outside of France)

Aquò d'Aquí
Website of a journal printed monthly
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:24 pm

I learnt to read Ancient Occitan many years ago, and the orthography I learnt back then still works today with the spelling systems that are in use today - except Mistral. Mistral developed his own spelling, and for me it's much harder to read his works than those of the troubadours from the 13. century..
0 x

guyome
Blue Belt

Postby guyome » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:53 pm

Iversen wrote:I learnt to read Ancient Occitan many years ago, and the orthography I learnt back then still works today with the spelling systems that are in use today - except Mistral. Mistral developed his own spelling, and for me it's much harder to read his works than those of the troubadours from the 13. century..
I kind of have the same experience: texts written in Classical norm are generally more transparent than those using the Mistralian spelling (probably because the Latin/French parallels are easier to spot with an etymological spelling).
That being said, I'm happy some writers used a sort of phonetic spelling in the 1800/1900s. With whole dialects on their way out and/or not properly documented (no grammar, no audio...), these works written more phonetically are precious.

Edit. I forgot to add these a couple of links to my previous post:
- Occitanica, I use it mainly to get scanned copies of old books and journals but there are other types of material (see for instance the 20-episode radionovela Lo viatge de Joana)
- Parlam l'occitan dau Lemousin, a introductory course to the Limousin dialect (even if you don't read French the texts and matching audio is a good resource)
- Chansons limousines, songs but also tales and short stories, all with text and matching audio (Limousin dialect)
1 x

guyome
Blue Belt

Postby guyome » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:47 pm

Many hours of recordings are available on the website of the Archives départementales du Cantal (don't forget to tick the "Uniquement document(s) numérisé(s)" box to make browsing the results easier). Here is a list, but it is in no way comprehensive.

Audiobooks read by Jean Vezole (1923-2014):
Delhostal, Beluguetas
Delhostal, Los Piados
Dommergues, Couontes e Porpondejados
Géraud & Géraud, Auvergne scènes et portraits du vieil Aurillac
Prax, Historios de toutos menos
Prax, La Glebo Mairalo
Vermenouze, Jos la clujada
Vermenouze, Flor de brossa
Vezole, Contes pas tròp messorguiers (3 AV 777 1 to 5)
Vezole, Contes mai qu'a meitat vertadiers (3 AV 778 1 to 6)
Vezole, Textes publiés dans la revue "La Cabreta"
Vezole, Textes publiés dans la revue "Parlem !"

Tales (mostly told by Maria Girbal in the 1960s):
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
You can also find videos of Maria Girbal on Youtube.

Life stories
Joseph Lafeuille
3 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”