Language Programmes - Offers, Sales and Discounts

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Re: Language Programmes - Offers, Sales and Discounts

Postby aokoye » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:52 pm

Powells Bookstore is having a sale from now until August 30th at 11:59pm Pacific Time. 20% off of books that are in their stores or local warehouses (not partner or international warehouses and not ebooks) and free shipping within the US. Enter code ROWLING in the promo box.
2 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:17 pm

The "Think Language" monthly audio magazine subscriptions for Spanish and French are presently on sale at a price of 79 $US per year. The offer includes access to the archives of the previous year, for a total of 24 issues. Although the articles are not graded, I would estimate that they are in the A2-B1 range. Should you decide to subscribe, please remember to download and save the PDF and MP3 files to your computer as, upon termination of your subscription, you will no longer have access to the files.

Here are the LINKS:
http://www.thinklanguage.com/spanish/join-now/special-sale
http://www.thinklanguage.com/french/join-now/special
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:56 am

For those who are interested in the Linguaphone courses, the company's U.K. and U.S.A. websites are currently offering price reductions of 50% to 60%. In many cases, the refurbished courses are priced even lower.

Linguaphone U.S.A.
https://www.linguaphonelanguages.com/

Linguaphone U.K.
https://www.linguaphone.co.uk/
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:34 pm

Not quite the same thing, but on visit Estonia you can practise pronouncing Estonian words and win a trip.

(I'm really curious how well others do and if it actually attempts to evaluate your pronunciation or it's just random)
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:38 am

I have received several Emails from Simon & Schuster announcing their offer of the Pimsleur Unlimited courses at a 50% discount. This sale ends today.
0 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)

Postby aokoye » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:46 pm

Oh the joys of Black Friday (through cyber Monday)...

Powell's: 25% off of their website (so this isn't good in brick and mortar stores) with the code PARTRIDGE from now through Nov 27 before 11:59pm PST. This doesn't apply to books in their partner or international warehouses and there's the usual free shipping within the US and US Territories for orders over $50. Note that the real deal is looking for used books on Powells. I buy used German books for under $10 on a regular basis from them.

White Rabbit (learning wise, they Japanese textbooks): Up to 60% off ending on the 27th

Schoenhof's: 60% off foreign books and 20% off domestic books, where foreign is anything outside of the US. This is through the 27th.

Those are the ones I got emailed about. I also checked and it looks like the UK Linguaphone site has all new (as opposed to referbished) courses at 50% off and the US site is having a 45% off of everything (all courses including the short ones). I'm not sure how long either of those sales are.
2 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:41 am

Clozemaster has a Black friday/cyber monday deal :)
they also have some really cool-sounding new features!
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:24 pm

Mashable are selling uTalk courses at a heavy enough discount that someone might find it useful.
1 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby aokoye » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:16 pm

I was checking my spam folder today and found an email from Supermemo. They're giving 1 month's free access to the elementary level of their Extreme English (2,280 words)/French (3,020 words)/German (3,160 words)/Spanish (3,350 words) vocabulary courses. It isn't clear if you can have access to all four courses or just one. The offer ends on Nov 27th at 11:59pm but it isn't totally clear which time zone that is. It seems safe to assume that it's GMT+1 given that it's a polish company.

I've never really used any of their courses but from what I can tell it's all in the target language, potentially with Polish translations if you hover over a word. There is also audio for all of the words. For those who don't know Supermemo is essentially the company started the electronic spaced repetition system software category in the 80s. Obviously (or maybe not) spaced repetition wasn't new at the time, but they were the first to actually make it accessible on computers. I haven't spent enough time with their online system to pass any judgment but their purported intervals always make me raise an eyebrow because of how large they are. That said, I just played around with their irregular German verbs course (which is free) and it looks like it will repeat the ones that you've gotten wrong right after the session as opposed to the 3 days it originally told me. We'll see how the rest of the week with it goes. Additionally Anki based its algorithm on Supermemo so it has that going for it. Most of the posts on reddit and the like that I've found about it compare it to Anki, which is logical for the platform itself, but it looks like generally people limit that to talking about how clunky it is to create one's own vocab list in Supermemo (or at least the most updated version of it as opposed to the one on super-memo.com) as opposed to the paid courses.

There are a number of articles on their blog as well as a specific post about an update to their "Extreme courses".

I've pasted the relevant bits about the 1 month free trial from their email in English below.

Redeem the code CYBERMONDAY17 and gain access to the Extreme vocabulary course for a month for FREE!

Open the menu in the upper right corner and choose "Redeem your code"
Enter the special code: CYBERMONDAY17
1 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:50 pm

Simon and Schuster is offering the Pimsleur Unlimited courses at a 50% discount. The sale prices are valid for the next 3 days.
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”