French (B1), German (A2)

Up Next:
Persian, Russian

Flirting With:
Sanskrit

On the back-burner:
Turkish, Irish

Bucket List:
Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish, Hindi/Urdu, Ancient Greek, Latin, Old Church Slavonic, Modern Greek, Tamil, Sinhalese, Malayalam, Welsh, Arabic

Re: Language Programmes - Offers, Sales and Discounts

Postby n_j_f » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:42 am

It's not a "discount" exactly, but Abbeys Bookshop in Sydney has somehow got their hands on old stock of Assimil courses. Based on the packaging, I would say it is stock from the 90s and early 2000s. The shop clerk had explained that it was due to an employee or former employee that had some sort of association with Assimil.
I noted editions of the Arabic, Italian and Chinese courses — both books and the book and CD packs. Amazingly, they were even selling two Business French packs . . . well, now they are only selling one as I didn't even hesitate momentarily to buy it.
I was considering the Arabic pack, but I think I'll try and get hold of the old hardback (prior to the 1980s) instead as I already have the audio.
Now, if only I could get my hands on Le tamil and Business German, I could die happily.
So for anyone in Australia, they are located at 131 York St, Sydney NSW 2000.
Not sure if they do overseas orders but their number is +612 9264 3111.
1 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:06 pm

Two things
Powells is having a buy two get one free sale for all of their used books if you buy them online using the code EARTHDAY at checkout. This only counts if you're buying books online (and seeing as I think I'm the only one who will be in Portland this weekend, that doesn't really matter for anyone other than me). The sale ends April 24th at 12pm PST. Here's a link to their used foreign language titles and an apology for how crappy their website is - but that's a lovely segue to...

Schoenhof's apparently has a new online pricing scheme. All of the titles that aren't published in the US are 50% off and all of their domestic (US published) materials are 15% off as of April 18th. I'm hoping this isn't their death knell.
2 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:33 pm

I noticed that Amazon.com has massive price cuts on their Michel Thomas French sets: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1444790676/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not sure if the price cut is due to being discontinued sets, or what (you have to poke around a little to find the cheaper ones)
0 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Daristani
Orange Belt

Postby Daristani » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:39 pm

Schoenhof's Foreign Books has just sent out an e-mail announcing a sale from 3 to 14 July, with 60 percent off on all foreign books. They also offer free shipping on US orders totaling over 50 dollars.

http://www.schoenhofs.com/
1 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:18 am

n_j_f wrote:It's not a "discount" exactly, but Abbeys Bookshop in Sydney has somehow got their hands on old stock of Assimil courses. Based on the packaging, I would say it is stock from the 90s and early 2000s. The shop clerk had explained that it was due to an employee or former employee that had some sort of association with Assimil.
I noted editions of the Arabic, Italian and Chinese courses — both books and the book and CD packs. Amazingly, they were even selling two Business French packs . . . well, now they are only selling one as I didn't even hesitate momentarily to buy it.
I was considering the Arabic pack, but I think I'll try and get hold of the old hardback (prior to the 1980s) instead as I already have the audio.
Now, if only I could get my hands on Le tamil and Business German, I could die happily.

Abbeys do ship internationally. I don't know how their stock and prices compare with the American and European shops but it seems pretty good to me. And remember those are Australian dollar prices you are looking at and the Oz dollar is weak against the American dollar.

And the Abbey family and staff are generally great - real book lovers.
2 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Cebuano (basic spoken daily, best L2), Spanish (beginner, but can read), Esperanto (beginner and not maintained). Sometimes dabble with Dutch, Serbian, Slovak, Czech, German and Arabic.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5133&start=30

Postby Whodathunkitz » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:54 pm

For anyone in the UK, they also seem to do online (edit).

Teach yourself courses (french and Spanish, maybe more) for £10 at 'the works'. I'm told they are disappearing quite quickly. Hard to find where they put them so best ask.

Live Spanish pack of books and cds

Study planner
Cd with get talking and keep talking audio, downloadable PDF, searchable verb, vocab and grammar reference material
Complete Spanish beginner to intermediate course (Juan kattán-ibarra). 300 page a5 book. Cd at back
Some kind of time limited? Subscription to teach yourselflanguagesonline.com
Enjoy Spanish book and CD - intermediate improvers course. Same author Juan kattán-ibarra. Book is a4 200 pages.
1 x
2018 Cebuano SuperChallenge 1 May 2018-Dec 2019
: 150 / 600 SC days:
: 6 / 1250 Read (aim daily 2000 words):
: 299 / 9000 Video (aim daily 15 minutes):

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:02 pm

Got an email from Schoenhof's yesterday that they're now in their summer sale. 60% off foreign books until July 14, no code needed.
1 x

n_j_f
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying:
French (B1), German (A2)

Up Next:
Persian, Russian

Flirting With:
Sanskrit

On the back-burner:
Turkish, Irish

Bucket List:
Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish, Hindi/Urdu, Ancient Greek, Latin, Old Church Slavonic, Modern Greek, Tamil, Sinhalese, Malayalam, Welsh, Arabic

Postby n_j_f » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:16 am

Adrianslont wrote:
n_j_f wrote:It's not a "discount" exactly, but Abbeys Bookshop in Sydney has somehow got their hands on old stock of Assimil courses. Based on the packaging, I would say it is stock from the 90s and early 2000s. The shop clerk had explained that it was due to an employee or former employee that had some sort of association with Assimil.

Abbeys do ship internationally. I don't know how their stock and prices compare with the American and European shops but it seems pretty good to me. And remember those are Australian dollar prices you are looking at and the Oz dollar is weak against the American dollar.

And the Abbey family and staff are generally great - real book lovers.

Agreed.
Abbey's used to have a much better selection of language books, but their downsizing and selection of books is perhaps more reflective of the current quality of foreign language teaching materials, as well as the general apathy/aversion to learning a second language in this country.

On my latest visit, they seem to have obtained another copy of Business French as well as the penultimate edition L'espagnole perfectionnement (for those of us who hate the look of the new editions). They still have copies of the Chinese and Japanese courses (in English), as well as the 2nd Generation Arabic With Ease and Italian With Ease.
1 x

Daristani
Orange Belt

Postby Daristani » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:01 am

At the risk of seeming like some sort of shill for Schoenhof's bookstore, I wanted to note that they're extending their summer sale until the end of July.
3 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:36 pm

Daristani wrote:At the risk of seeming like some sort of shill for Schoenhof's bookstore, I wanted to note that they're extending their summer sale until the end of July.

Which is great! So I went to get something....
Well, except when you try to buy a single small book for $9.90 and the shipping costs shown is: :shock:

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 14.34.02.png

Schoenhof's Foreign Books just wastes my time now. Here is the email I just sent them.

Dear sirs,

I recently tried to buy a book from you.

The price of the book was $9.98 - a small volume "Modern Tibetan Language” and the only shipping option proposed was $77.50.
If this is the only shipping you have for Germany, I expect it to be delivered by Beyonce or the President of Harvard University, in person.

In which case, it’s a deal and I will confirm my order.

Work with me, yours truly,

Screw that, skips off to go buy at Amazon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”