Glossika methods

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Henkkles
Green Belt
Languages: N FI | A EN SV | I EE RU | B FR LN

Glossika methods

Postby Henkkles » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:41 pm

Since a lot of us here on the forum use Glossika, I figured I'd set up a thread where we can discuss and outline our ways of actually using the material, being as versatile as it is.

Keep in mind that this is not the thread for discussing whether or not to use Glossika, or to share opinions about the courses, because there is a thread for that already.

This is the official How to-section from Glossika.com:

https://glossika.com/howto/

Personally, I mostly do this:

1. n-0 GMS-A Read along
2. n-1 GMS-B Try to produce the sentence in the gap
3. n-2 GMS-C Transcribe the sentence

However, when I get to Fluency 3 I plan on doing the full ordeal outlined on the Glossika site.
4 x

Fatih
White Belt
Languages: Turkish (N), English (advanced), Spanish (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=4866

Re: Glossika methods

Postby Fatih » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:11 pm

I posted the following message today to the practical questions and advice section but I think here is more relevant and I repost it.

I took the b files and with a software and some tedious work I managed to split all the files to simple english and spanish sentences. After doing that, for example, for Glossika level 1, I had 1000 english and 1000 spanish corresponding sentences. I put them into the anki as L1-L2 and reverse. After all, I had 2000 anki audio cards.

I completed glossika level 1 and 2 like this until all the cards become mature.
0 x

Henkkles
Green Belt

Postby Henkkles » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:29 pm

Fatih wrote:I posted the following message today to the practical questions and advice section but I think here is more relevant and I repost it.

I took the b files and with a software and some tedious work I managed to split all the files to simple english and spanish sentences. After doing that, for example, for Glossika level 1, I had 1000 english and 1000 spanish corresponding sentences. I put them into the anki as L1-L2 and reverse. After all, I had 2000 anki audio cards.

I completed glossika level 1 and 2 like this until all the cards become mature.

Sounds like a good idea, I wish Glossika allowed this natively. Glossika app on Android with flashcards and the like.

Is your work automatizable and applicable to other courses?

How satisfied are you with that method, anyway? How would you change it?
0 x

snowflake
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1292

Postby snowflake » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:31 pm

There is a recent discussion where someone, using Glossika, lamented that he couldn’t answer simple questions even when he understood the question. Michael Campbell's response was "how many reps have you done? Set your fluency goals at 30,000 reps, 60,000 reps, and 90,000 reps. Once you hit those goals, re-assess your fluency at each stage. If you haven't hit 30,000 reps yet, I wouldn't worry about your fluency at all yet.
I don't know what "in A and B I do quite a lot" means. To me "do quite a lot" is 50,000 reps. What does it mean to you?"

For the purposes of counting reps he also said, "Each GSR file has 180 reps, except the first and last four files."

I'm pretty much chorusing GSR....getting to 90,000 reps will probably be in Sept 2017.
2 x

Henkkles
Green Belt

Postby Henkkles » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:01 pm

snowflake wrote:There is a recent discussion where someone, using Glossika, lamented that he couldn’t answer simple questions even when he understood the question. Michael Campbell's response was "how many reps have you done? Set your fluency goals at 30,000 reps, 60,000 reps, and 90,000 reps. Once you hit those goals, re-assess your fluency at each stage. If you haven't hit 30,000 reps yet, I wouldn't worry about your fluency at all yet.
I don't know what "in A and B I do quite a lot" means. To me "do quite a lot" is 50,000 reps. What does it mean to you?"

For the purposes of counting reps he also said, "Each GSR file has 180 reps, except the first and last four files."

I'm pretty much chorusing GSR....getting to 90,000 reps will probably be in Sept 2017.

This is an excellent way to train, I did this for Hungarian a short while back when Glossika had their 30 day trials available. I still remember many of those sentences.

I'm thinking I'll complete the course first in the way I outlined above and then shadow the GSR files until I break the 60k rep line.

(I'm not looking to get 100k from Glossika alone, I'm getting a lot of comprehensive input elsewhere as well)
0 x

snowflake
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1292

Postby snowflake » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:53 pm

Henkkles wrote:(I'm not looking to get 100k from Glossika alone, I'm getting a lot of comprehensive input elsewhere as well)

I use multiple resources as well though for reps am only counting Glossika for sentence pattern drilling reasons.
0 x

Fatih
White Belt
Languages: Turkish (N), English (advanced), Spanish (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=4866

Postby Fatih » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:42 am

Henkkles wrote:Sounds like a good idea, I wish Glossika allowed this natively. Glossika app on Android with flashcards and the like.

Is your work automatizable and applicable to other courses?

How satisfied are you with that method, anyway? How would you change it?

I used mp3splt's silence detection function. If you can set the right db level-which I dont remember right now-, you can split the files at once. But it is not as easy as I write here. Roughly I worked 4-5 hours on each level to make them suitable for anki. As for the results, well, it helped me to a certain degree but not as much as they claim. I think there are more useful programs out there, like fsi. And for that reason I did not continue to use and spend time on glossika level 3, instead of inclined to use fsi more heavily. Maybe later I can give it a shot again.
0 x

Henkkles
Green Belt

Postby Henkkles » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:48 am

Fatih wrote:I used mp3splt's silence detection function. If you can set the right db level-which I dont remember right now-, you can split the files at once. But it is not as easy as I write here. Roughly I worked 4-5 hours on each level to make them suitable for anki. As for the results, well, it helped me to a certain degree but not as much as they claim. I think there are more useful programs out there, like fsi. And for that reason I did not continue to use and spend time on glossika level 3, instead of inclined to use fsi more heavily. Maybe later I can give it a shot again.

Alright, sounds like you should try to use Glossika in another way (considering that you already have it).
0 x

roni
White Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (B2-C1), Finnish (studying)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... 40631&PN=1

Postby roni » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:41 pm

I'm using Glossika Finnish. I do GMS and GSR at the same time. I work on Fluency 1 using GMS and listening GSR for Fluency 3 while commuting.

I do GMS drills almost every day if I have time. There are four drills per day:

1) listening to a new 50 phrases with A or B files, repeating
2) writing down 50 phrases using C files
3) listening to C files and recording myself with mobile phone
4) trying to come up with phrases in Finnish using B files

Doing it properly takes 1.5 to 2.5 hours with some breakes.

I have been using the program for less than one month and already see huge progress in listening comprehension.

About own speaking production it is too early to say, I have covered only very simple stuff but there is some improvement for certain.

All in all I am extremly satisfied with the program and I will try to finish it.
2 x

Henkkles
Green Belt

Postby Henkkles » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:24 pm

roni wrote:I'm using Glossika Finnish. I do GMS and GSR at the same time. I work on Fluency 1 using GMS and listening GSR for Fluency 3 while commuting.

I do GMS drills almost every day if I have time. There are four drills per day:

1) listening to a new 50 phrases with A or B files, repeating
2) writing down 50 phrases using C files
3) listening to C files and recording myself with mobile phone
4) trying to come up with phrases in Finnish using B files

Doing it properly takes 1.5 to 2.5 hours with some breakes.

I have been using the program for less than one month and already see huge progress in listening comprehension.

About own speaking production it is too early to say, I have covered only very simple stuff but there is some improvement for certain.

All in all I am extremly satisfied with the program and I will try to finish it.

I have the Finnish-Estonian course, and I have to say that the Finnish translation is excellent. It's exactly the real Finnish we speak here.

Try shadowing the GSR files as well, if you feel like it!
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”