Glossika methods

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
ibrahimovic
White Belt
Languages: Malay (N) English (C1) German (A2)

Re: Glossika methods

Postby ibrahimovic » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:34 pm

Sorry if I derail the thread, but may I know if Glossika suitable for me and would it prepare me for B1/B2?

For background, I have studied German alone for 4 months. I studied everyday using Assimil with Ease by H. Schneider (lesson 82/100), German: How to Speak and Write It (Lesson 20/30) and TY German (Lesson 19/23). Anki too if I find it hard to remember.

I feel stuck and not progressing as much as I did earlier. I reluctant to finish any of the book now and I even have LL's Ultimate Advanced that I still haven't touch yet.

I also discover that my speaking is nonexistent as can't Skype due to very poor Internet connection.

Do you think Glossika might be my savior?
0 x

Henkkles
Green Belt
Languages: N FI | A EN SV | I EE RU | B FR LN

Postby Henkkles » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:03 pm

ibrahimovic wrote:Sorry if I derail the thread, but may I know if Glossika suitable for me and would it prepare me for B1/B2?

For background, I have studied German alone for 4 months. I studied everyday using Assimil with Ease by H. Schneider (lesson 82/100), German: How to Speak and Write It (Lesson 20/30) and TY German (Lesson 19/23). Anki too if I find it hard to remember.

I feel stuck and not progressing as much as I did earlier. I reluctant to finish any of the book now and I even have LL's Ultimate Advanced that I still haven't touch yet.

I also discover that my speaking is nonexistent as can't Skype due to very poor Internet connection.

They actually released a new scheduling guide that takes your particular situation into account!

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Glossi ... 2MphQz-FqA

I'm sure it would certainly help.
3 x

ibrahimovic
White Belt

Postby ibrahimovic » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:39 pm

Henkkles wrote:
ibrahimovic wrote:Sorry if I derail the thread, but may I know if Glossika suitable for me and would it prepare me for B1/B2?

They actually released a new scheduling guide that takes your particular situation into account!

Thank you for sharing that info! I doesn't expect it to be out yet. Now I'm all excited!

I already have Glossika bit never touch it yet. Sorry but can I ask? In the pdf, I assume German consider as my 2nd language (after Malay, English) and similar to English. Hence, it is recommended for me to do 2 or 5 months intensive schedule? Would it consider doing Assimil and other self learn books for 4 month considered as 'studied before'

I hope someone could answer as I can't wait to start tomorrow :D
0 x

Henkkles
Green Belt

Postby Henkkles » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:45 pm

ibrahimovic wrote:I already have Glossika bit never touch it yet. Sorry but can I ask? In the pdf, I assume German consider as my 2nd language (after Malay, English) and similar to English. Hence, it is recommended for me to do 2 or 5 months intensive schedule? Would it consider doing Assimil and other self learn books for 4 month considered as 'studied before'

I hope someone could answer as I can't wait to start tomorrow :D

It's completely up to you, do you have only two months or can you spend five? Do you need the extra reps? Choose for yourself!
1 x

ibrahimovic
White Belt

Postby ibrahimovic » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:45 am

ibrahimovic wrote:[quotge="Henkkles"]

Have anyone look into the schedule? I notice that the methodology for each schedule is different from the rest but they didn't state it.

There is a 5 month intensive schedule which to me seem to be spaced better than the rest. The user will finish the whole 3000 GMS-A sentences in 6 weeks in one go and repeat it again for 2 times using different file - GMS C --> GMS B) with some mix. Hence, user will remember it until the end.

For all other schedule listed, the user will repeat the 1000 sentences in one month (the same GMS A + B+ C), and than no more of it. The next month will be the next 1000 and so one. It will be weak as by the last month, the user might forgot the earlier sentences.

I'm sure they could just apply the same methodology to other schedule even with time constraint (5 month vs 3 months) by making sure it evenly spaced. However, I'm not sure the reason why he release it like this.

Thus, I would change my 4 month so to complete the whole GMS A before moving slowly to C + B, just like the 5 month intensive. The GSR file pattern will not be modified.

What do you guys think? Better to space out or do everything in one go and forgot it?

Extra - I notice almost everyone here only mention listening and repeating the Glossika audio and not doing the recommended writing and recording the voice of oneself. Whats your opinion on this?
Last edited by ibrahimovic on Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

snowflake
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1292

Postby snowflake » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:15 pm

ibrahimovic wrote:Extra - I notice almost everyone here only mention listening and repeating the Glossika audio and not doing the recommended writing and recording the voice of oneself. Whats your opinion on this?

I chorus the Mandarin GSR files. At the outset I used the GMS approach, did dictation, self-recording, etc but switched. The Glossika instructions say that using GSR is better for people who have difficulties remembering content…. that is definitely me. That aside, I spend a lot of time in front of a PC and self-recording would require spending even more time. I am less concerned with pronunciation than most language learners....am ethnic Chinese so with my appearance, myriad regional usage, and various regional accents, then native Mandarin speakers upon meeting me tend to assume that I am a native speaker. As for not doing dictation, I cannot hand write characters (personally unimportant). When using romanization for dictation, interestingly enough the romanization appeared in my mind when speaking which I consider to be undesirable. There is a Glossika discussion group where people mention doing dictation and self-recording. Those people “swear” by those practices and urge others to do the same.
0 x

derkommissar
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2), Spanish (A1).

Postby derkommissar » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:01 pm

Henkkles wrote:

As someone who is interested in trying Glossika I'd love to be able to view this link to see exactly how it works. Unfortunately it doesn't work. Have you got a working link?
0 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:53 am

ibrahimovic wrote:For all other schedule listed, the user will repeat the 1000 sentences in one month (the same GMS A + B+ C), and than no more of it. The next month will be the next 1000 and so one. It will be weak as by the last month, the user might forgot the earlier sentences.

I'm sure they could just apply the same methodology to other schedule even with time constraint (5 month vs 3 months) by making sure it evenly spaced. However, I'm not sure the reason why he release it like this.

Thus, I would change my 4 month so to complete the whole GMS A before moving slowly to C + B, just like the 5 month intensive. The GSR file pattern will not be modified.

What do you guys think? Better to space out or do everything in one go and forgot it?

I think Glossika's GMS main goal is for the student to be able to get an internal sense for the right structures and grammar of the target language, not to remember each and every sentence. With this in mind, I don't care if I forget most of the sentences.

ibrahimovic wrote:Extra - I notice almost everyone here only mention listening and repeating the Glossika audio and not doing the recommended writing and recording the voice of oneself. Whats your opinion on this?

I think that depends on your goals. But in general, I think all the activities reinforce one another. Writing will help you with your listening and reading skills as well. Recording and listening to it is a great way to receive feedback. With the recordings you can compare yourself to the native speaker and have a more objective perspective for assesing your progress and discovering your weak points.
2 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

Henkkles
Green Belt

Postby Henkkles » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:31 am

derkommissar wrote:
Henkkles wrote:

As someone who is interested in trying Glossika I'd love to be able to view this link to see exactly how it works. Unfortunately it doesn't work. Have you got a working link?

You can download it from the Glossika website when you log in, it's in the downloads section.
0 x

derkommissar
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2), Spanish (A1).

Postby derkommissar » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:26 pm

Henkkles wrote:
derkommissar wrote:
Henkkles wrote:

You can download it from the Glossika website when you log in, it's in the downloads section.

Seems like I have to buy it to even be able to see the different schedules... was hoping to see how it worked exactly before I decided to purchase.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”