Green Belt
Languages: N FI | A EN SV | I EE RU | B FR LN

Re: Glossika methods

Postby Henkkles » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:16 pm

derkommissar wrote:
Henkkles wrote:
derkommissar wrote:
Henkkles wrote:
ibrahimovic wrote:Sorry if I derail the thread, but may I know if Glossika suitable for me and would it prepare me for B1/B2?

For background, I have studied German alone for 4 months. I studied everyday using Assimil with Ease by H. Schneider (lesson 82/100), German: How to Speak and Write It (Lesson 20/30) and TY German (Lesson 19/23). Anki too if I find it hard to remember.

I feel stuck and not progressing as much as I did earlier. I reluctant to finish any of the book now and I even have LL's Ultimate Advanced that I still haven't touch yet.

I also discover that my speaking is nonexistent as can't Skype due to very poor Internet connection.

Do you think Glossika might be my savior?

They actually released a new scheduling guide that takes your particular situation into account!

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Glossi ... 2MphQz-FqA

I'm sure it would certainly help.

As someone who is interested in trying Glossika I'd love to be able to view this link to see exactly how it works. Unfortunately it doesn't work. Have you got a working link?

You can download it from the Glossika website when you log in, it's in the downloads section.

Seems like I have to buy it to even be able to see the different schedules... was hoping to see how it worked exactly before I decided to purchase.

I mean how would you need those without having bought Glossika? They're unimportant to making a purchase decision, they're just suggestions. Ultimately you do what you want with them.
0 x

dimon223
Languages: English, Français, Russian, Chuvash

Re: Glossika methods

Postby dimon223 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:16 pm

solaren wrote:3. Review your sentences in Anki with the AwesomeTTS plugin. This plugin enables text-to-speech functionality. You'll have to experiment with different voices, but I've found the Japanese voices to be very high quality and worth the extra effort. When reviewing your Anki sentences you need to make sure you are staying ahead of the actual GSR listening files. About 20 sentences per day are necessary to stay ahead of the GSR and give you time to first learn the material through Anki. When encountering sentences in Anki, look up any words or grammar forms you aren't familiar with. Spend as much time as you need to with the sentence, and add any additional notes or corrections to the card that are helpful.

4. Next, listen to a GSR file. If you are just starting out, I'd recommend starting this on day 2 or 3 of this study program. That way you've had sufficient time to get a head start using Anki. Each GSR file is about 20 minutes long, but this method will take about an hour. The process goes like this:

1. Listen to L1 speaker.
2. Pause.
3. Give L2 response. You can give multiple L2 responses as you become more comfortable in the language.
4. Listen to the L2 speaker.
5. Pause.
6. Repeat the L2 speaker's dialog as closely as possible.

That is almost exactly the way I learn French now.
I also use GSR files every day in the way you described, + one GMS every 5 days. It takes around 40-50 minutes to complete one average GSR file (20-25 minutes), and more than one hour for 25-29 minutes file.

I also do writing skill training, but instead of Anki I use another app, its name is rklim, it was made by a Russian programmer, and has different types of drills. I mostly use it to develop my writing skills, w/o repeating much after the French native speaker. The app shows me a source text in Russian, which I then need to type in French. Each time I make a spelling error it decreases number of points. The app considers that I wrote a sentence well if I make no more than 3 errors. Once I wrote the sentence completely the app shows if it the sentence was counted as well repeated or not and then plays French audio associated with it. Sometimes I repeat after the native speaker, sometimes not. With this app I repeat around 65 sentences every day, but I don't learn any new ones. Each time I reached current GSR progress I go back to few hundreds sentences and and repeat them until I reach current GSR file again. This helps me to repeat what I learned few months back.

I completed A1+A2 grammar in a language school prior I started Glossika training and feel OK with understanding of current way the sentences are built, but I consider to add a grammar learning on top of that, because sometimes I see new grammar structures which I didn't know.
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”