General Linguaphone Discussion

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: General Linguaphone Discussion

Postby smallwhite » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:38 pm

Maybe it was your colleague who uploaded those files you found online?
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Seneca
Green Belt
Languages: English (N); 日本語 (beginner)

Postby Seneca » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:42 pm

smallwhite wrote:Maybe it was your colleague who uploaded those files you found online?

No, these were dated a long time ago.

Either way, he doesn't work here anymore, so I can't ask him what the thinking was :lol:
1 x

Seneca
Green Belt

Postby Seneca » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:43 pm

smallwhite wrote:Maybe it was your colleague who uploaded those files you found online?

It seems a bit late as your English is already amazing, but I just saw a Cantonese-based Linguaphone for the first time!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Learn-English- ... SwV4BZxe07
1 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:45 pm

Seneca wrote:
It seems a bit late as your English is already amazing, but I just saw a Cantonese-based Linguaphone for the first time!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Learn-English- ... SwV4BZxe07

Linguaphone used to be a big name in Hong Kong. I think their slogan was "三個月學識外語" learn (and know) a language in 3 months ;)

That course on eBay seems to be in Japanese, though. All the Asian words you see are Japanese.
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

haziz
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (L2 but at native level - my primary language), Spanish (Beginner - ?A1), Egyptian Arabic (N but not using the language), Modern Standard Arabic (?C1 passive/reading, A2 active/writing - also not using), French (Studied in school but retained very little).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19722

Postby haziz » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:10 am

Can anyone who has the advanced or Business Spanish course post an image of the course material? I am trying to search for it in all the usual places, including EBay, but coming up short. An image of the cover or of the course material would be helpful.
0 x
Spanish:
: 23 / 55 Platiquemos/FSI
: 0 / 10 Aula internacional Plus 2
: 16 / 126 Gramática de uso del español
: 0 / 6 Difusion graded readers
: 1 / 15 Spanish for Reading
: 11 / 52 Destinos

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:42 am

I found a very old Linguaphone book for Afrikaans from 1993 in our library. And this is the final dialogue in the book (they begrudingly allowed me to scan this page in)

Screenshot_4.jpg

As a native, I am genuinely surprised. That is a pretty high level of Afrikaans.

They have sooo many Linguaphone books here lol. I was thinking of taking the afternoon off from work tomorrow and just spending it here :lol:

I am pretty much comitted to Assimil Spanish for now and don't know if Linguaphone would help me that much after Assimil. But when I start German next year I wouldn't mind testing it out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

Seneca
Green Belt

Postby Seneca » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:58 pm

Jaleel10 wrote:I found a very old Linguaphone book for Afrikaans from 1993 in our library. And this is the final dialogue in the book (they begrudingly allowed me to scan this page in)

Screenshot_4.jpg

As a native, I am genuinely surprised. That is a pretty high level of Afrikaans.

They have sooo many Linguaphone books here lol. I was thinking of taking the afternoon off from work tomorrow and just spending it here :lol:

I am pretty much comitted to Assimil Spanish for now and don't know if Linguaphone would help me that much after Assimil. But when I start German next year I wouldn't mind testing it out.

I believe Afrikaans is the most-rare Linguaphone course from an English base. You should find a way to add it to your personal collection :? I want to go to this amazing library, haha.
1 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:49 am

Is there a certain level this is supposed to get you up to? Like Assimil is supposed to be A2 or something, right? What's the general one for this course?
0 x

neumanc
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: German (native), English, Dutch
Studies: French (advanced), Spanish (false beginner)
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Latin

Postby neumanc » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:11 pm

The course covers Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced levels in the Russian language. What does that mean? It means, on completion, you will be able to speak, read and write Russian to a high level. You will be able to express yourself effectively in conversation, understand when Russian is spoken to you and make yourself understood in a wide range of situations. This course will enable you to think for yourself, construct sentences, create dialogue and use Russian freely. In short, when someone asks if you can speak Russian, you’ll say yes I can! That’s our promise to you.

This is of course only marketing. You won't reach an "advanced" level. Some time ago, these courses were marketed as "Starter Courses", which was significantly nearer to the truth (possibly up to B1). The German version of the so-called "Second Stage" courses were named "Mittelstufe", which can be translated as "intermediate level" (possibly B2). As I see it, Linguaphone doesn't have advanced courses.
1 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:45 pm

I found this in the version I'm considering using online.
You can now make yourself easily understood when you speak it; your accent is good and you have a sufficient vocabulary for all the ordinary needs of daily life. Moreover, you will have no difficulty in understanding the language when others speak it, and can converse fluently with natives and enjoy the broadcasts from foreign stations. Most thrilling of all, perhaps, you are well-fitted to set out on a voyage of exploration in the literature of the language you have mastered.

I don't know if I'd be able to read books after 50 lessons, but I suppose it would be possible to read news articles. The language at the end of the program looks pretty advanced. Reading Morgana's post was certainly helpful. If any of you would like to share about how effective you thought this course was, I'd like to hear (read) it - either here or through PM. Thank you for your input and insight.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”