General Linguaphone Discussion

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
AnthonyLauder
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Everything Else (A0)

Re: General Linguaphone Discussion

Postby AnthonyLauder » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:09 pm

I have a pretty large collection of Linguaphone courses, across all generations. This includes many of the older courses that come with records. While collecting these, I have learned that, in addition to language courses, Linguaphone offered their own gramophone record player.

Perhaps more surprisingly, Linguaphone also sold their own needles, advertised as having special properties for reproducing the spoken voice as opposed to music.

What caught my eye on a recent box of Linguaphone needles on ebay is that each needle was suitable for a mere 20 minutes of playback time. How can that be correct? If it is indeed the case, a language learner would have to use a very large number of these needles to complete a Linguaphone course.

Getting customers on the hook for constantly having to buy more of these needles reminded me a little of the modern subscription service model for language learning products. Linguaphone was, perhaps, ahead of their time in this regard.

Linguaphone Needles.png
Linguaphone Needles.png (335.96 KiB) Viewed 572 times
Last edited by AnthonyLauder on Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8 x

Speakeasy
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (C2). Studying: Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Dutch, Polish, and Russian; all with widely varying degrees of application, enthusiasm, and success.

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:01 pm

AnthonyLauder wrote: … Getting customers on the hook for constantly having to buy more of these needles reminded me a little of the modern subscription service model for language learning products. Linguaphone was, perhaps, ahead of their time in this regard.
In sales’ jargon, it’s called “creating the need and responding to it” viz. “A common (and frustrating) obstacle for salespeople is creating a sense of urgency with prospective customers … ‘Need to have’ products create urgency. ‘Nice to have’ products get the push off. Which is yours?” (copied from one of hundreds of websites offering advice to professional sales people). Something deep inside is telling me that this concept has been around since the dawn of time.
0 x

Speakeasy
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (C2). Studying: Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Dutch, Polish, and Russian; all with widely varying degrees of application, enthusiasm, and success.

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:54 am

Une occupation idéale, vous dites?
The English expression “double entendre”, which derives from a now obsolete expression in French signifying “double meaning”, might be rendered into contemporary French as “une expression à double sens.” Either way, the notion of a double entendre struck me rather sharply whilst reading the French WWII advertisement, below, presumably conceived (with a Gallic sense of humour) by the Sales and Marketing staff at Linguaphone’s Paris offices … une occupation idéale pour les longues soirées du temps de guerre …
Linguaphone Occupation Idéale.JPG
Linguaphone Occupation Idéale.JPG (82.2 KiB) Viewed 497 times

EDITED:
Erreurs de frappe.
5 x

Speakeasy
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:02 am

Linguaphone Rapid Esperanto Course
Although Esperanto appears on a list of courses, above, which Linguaphone published during the period 1940’s – 1960’s, there are no references to it on either the HTLAL or the LLORG. Collectors and students of this language might wish to know that there is presently an offer on eBayUK for the “Linguaphone Rapid Esperanto Course” manual. I suggest that aficionados of this language consult the seller’s list of “See other items” as it contains some very interesting materials, indeed!

Linguaphone Rapid Esperanto Course - eBayUK
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linguaphone-Rapid-Esperanto-Course/264451095670?hash=item3d92837c76:g:580AAOSwWhZdaN52

Linguaphone Rapid Esperanto 1.jpg
Linguaphone Rapid Esperanto 1.jpg (224.72 KiB) Viewed 396 times

Linguaphone Rapid Esperanto 3.jpg
Linguaphone Rapid Esperanto 3.jpg (267.86 KiB) Viewed 396 times

Linguaphone Rapid Esperanto 4.jpg
Linguaphone Rapid Esperanto 4.jpg (284.41 KiB) Viewed 396 times
Attachments
Linguaphone Rapid Esperanto 6.jpg
Linguaphone Rapid Esperanto 6.jpg (367.71 KiB) Viewed 396 times
4 x

Speakeasy
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:19 pm

0 x

Ug_Caveman
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Dutch (A1-2ish).

Near future: French, German, Swedish.

Postby Ug_Caveman » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:49 pm

Elexi wrote:I have most of the blue cover hardback/cassette era second stage courses, so I can confirm they exist.

Going back to this particular topic of discussion - I've managed to find copies of the first/second stage combination briefcase cassette courses for French and German, but nowt for Spanish. Does anyone know if the Spanish second stage course was published during the hardback-and-cassette era, or if it only exists as the edition sold today by Linguaphone?
0 x

Elexi
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2), Latin (eternal beginner), Dutch (Aspires to find the time).

Postby Elexi » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:47 am

Anecdotally, based on many hours searching ebay, I would say the Spanish advanced course came later and was not introduced during the baby blue hard cover book era. I might be wrong, though.
0 x

AnthonyLauder
Yellow Belt

Postby AnthonyLauder » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:02 pm

If anybody is interested, there is a rather rare Linguaphone product on Ebay in the UK at the moment:

Linguaphone French and German For Business.

Six books and 30 cassettes, as far as I can tell

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LINGUAPHONE-GERMAN-AND-FRENCH-LANGUAGE-COURSE-FOR-BUSINESS-USE/143422711345
0 x

AnthonyLauder
Yellow Belt

Postby AnthonyLauder » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:21 pm

Another rare find has come up on ebay in the UK, which will appeal to real Linguaphone fans.

The second stage French course comes up rarely, and when it does come up it is almost always the version with blue covers.

This one is the very hard to find Second Stage French, with Russet Covers

So far, there are no bids for the item.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193194063700
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”