General Linguaphone Discussion

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Elexi
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2), Latin (eternal beginner), Dutch (Aspires to find the time).

Re: General Linguaphone Discussion

Postby Elexi » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:59 pm

I thought I would put up pictures of the various generations of Linguaphone courses.

Here is an example of the 30 lesson first generation from the 1920s and 1930s - this is the revised French Conversation course from 1935. I have this course also in German and Italian and there were a good deal of others.

It comes with 4 booklets - the lesson book, a grammar analysis book, a vocabulary list and a book of supplemental material as well as a case of 78s.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Elexi on Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Elexi
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2), Latin (eternal beginner), Dutch (Aspires to find the time).

Postby Elexi » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:00 am

Here is Lesson 30 from the Course, the format is - an engraving with vocabulary, a narrative, a conversation, some grammar and some exercises.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Elexi
Green Belt

Postby Elexi » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:51 pm

Here is an example of the second generation French course from Linguaphone from the 1950s until the early 1970s - I have chosen the lesson on radio and television to keep the theme going...

The course comes with a textbook, notes and vocabulary book together with 45 singles or tapes (as well as a sheet of instructions).
Last edited by Elexi on Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Elexi
Green Belt

Postby Elexi » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:53 pm

Here is an example of a lesson and notes. There are 50 lessons in the second generation courses.
2 x

Elexi
Green Belt

Postby Elexi » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:16 pm

The following is an example of the 3rd generation French course from the 1970s to the 2000s. They come in various covers - the picture is from the 1970s edition, but they also come in brown and gold and grey and silver. The 3rd generation has 30 lessons and records or cassettes - it originally had 3 books - the coursebook, the notes and written exercises. Later a set of FSI type drills was added with an additional book of exercises. There was also a set of videos in the 'VideoPlus' edition that served as a basic introduction to the language.
1 x

Elexi
Green Belt

Postby Elexi » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:20 pm

Here is an example of a lesson in the third generation - it consists of a recorded dialogue, a word list and grammatical notes. The third generation breaks the habit of the previous two generations which presented material by being about things (radio, theatre, a room, etc) but instead develops a storyline.
3 x

Elexi
Green Belt

Postby Elexi » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:29 pm

Finally, here is the fourth generation of Linguaphone French course - the one that is currently available. It comes with 6 books that focus the learning on useful situations. It aims to take one from complete beginner to learning to speak in the futur, the passe compose and the imparfait (about A1?). As you can see this generation is much more modern and follows the style of language learning similar to the BBC The French Experience book or school textbooks.

It is only available in French and Spanish - the other Linguaphone courses remain the 1970s editions.
2 x

creamsodafan
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2?)

Postby creamsodafan » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:03 pm

I have a fourth generation copy of the Spanish course and it is far inferior, imo, to the previous generation course, possibly from the 70s or 80s. I wouldn't recommend buying the fourth generation course given it's very high price (about £180 after the discount that is often available). It's not a terrible course by any means but it's far simpler than the previous gen courses and teaches a lot less. It may be of use to first time learners as it goes fairly slowly and introduces content in a structured way. My biggest complaint is that it teaches very little grammar.

On the other hand the 70s/80s course is muchmore comprehensive but far more challenging. First time learners might well be put off by the depth and initial difficulty.
3 x
: 2 / 13 Hugo Spanish In Three Months

Elexi
Green Belt

Postby Elexi » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:50 pm

Here is my last set of images for now - this is from the Latin American Spanish course - which like Dutch, Afrikaans and Welsh falls as an intermediate step between the 1970s third generation 30 lesson series and the current fourth generation. The format is very similar to the third generation, there is still a number of dialogues per lesson and a separate grammar book - but the dialogues have exercises after them.
1 x

Seneca
Green Belt
Languages: English (N); 日本語 (beginner)

Postby Seneca » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:06 pm

Does anyone have the Japanese Linguaphone course?

I am trying to figure out if this set on ebay is complete. To me it seems to be missing a standalone "Handbook," but I am unsure if the other books besides the main coursebook (Nihongo Kosu) might actually provide everything I need. I don't mind buying an incomplete Linguaphone set, but it can be a real pain to pick up the missing pieces sometimes. Anyone know if those one shows all the parts, book wise, or not?
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”