General Linguaphone Discussion

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
dlw28
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B1), French (B1), Russian (A2), Farsi (beginner)

Re: General Linguaphone Discussion

Postby dlw28 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:53 pm

Could anyone who has the 1920/30's Linguaphone Chinese course tell me if the recording here

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1PK4y1D7Jc/

is the complete audio? Thanks.
0 x

Beli Tsar
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Ancient Greek (intermediate reading), Latin (Beginner) Farsi (Beginner), Biblical Hebrew (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9548

Postby Beli Tsar » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:38 pm

dlw28 wrote:The audio and accompanying text for the John Mace TY Modern Persian course can be found on archive.org at

https://archive.org/download/50-languag ... ian-part-2

This is magnificent! A real boon for a language with not many good resources!
0 x
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin Reading
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin 'Films'

n_j_f
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying:
French (B1), German (A2)

Up Next:
Persian, Russian

Flirting With:
Sanskrit

On the back-burner:
Turkish, Irish

Bucket List:
Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish, Hindi/Urdu, Ancient Greek, Latin, Old Church Slavonic, Modern Greek, Tamil, Sinhalese, Malayalam, Welsh, Arabic

Postby n_j_f » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:52 pm

zenmonkey wrote:I just found a very incomplete Polish linguaphone set of records from the 20-30‘s. I’m assuming this is the first series. Unfortunately I only have 6 records and nothing else.
I‘ve looked around and apparently this is not really a set that’s easily available. I don’t know if I’ll find the rest of the set or the books.

Yes, 1st Generation. I purchased that set on eBay about three years ago and it never arrived although I received a refund (without an explanation) and I've never seen a set before or since. I could be wrong depending on the size of the records, but it doesn't sound like the set of records is complete as there more LPs than that. The 1st Generation Polish and 1st Generation Afrikaans seem to be as rare as hen's teeth unfortunately.
1 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:04 pm

n_j_f wrote:Yes, 1st Generation. I purchased that set on eBay about three years ago and it never arrived although I received a refund (without an explanation) and I've never seen a set before or since. I could be wrong depending on the size of the records, but it doesn't sound like the set of records is complete as there more LPs than that. The 1st Generation Polish and 1st Generation Afrikaans seem to be as rare as hen's teeth unfortunately.

I have mp3 copies of the 1950 Linguaphone Afrikaans. Is there an earlier version?
0 x

n_j_f
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying:
French (B1), German (A2)

Up Next:
Persian, Russian

Flirting With:
Sanskrit

On the back-burner:
Turkish, Irish

Bucket List:
Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish, Hindi/Urdu, Ancient Greek, Latin, Old Church Slavonic, Modern Greek, Tamil, Sinhalese, Malayalam, Welsh, Arabic

Postby n_j_f » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:41 pm

Le Baron wrote:
n_j_f wrote:Yes, 1st Generation. I purchased that set on eBay about three years ago and it never arrived although I received a refund (without an explanation) and I've never seen a set before or since. I could be wrong depending on the size of the records, but it doesn't sound like the set of records is complete as there more LPs than that. The 1st Generation Polish and 1st Generation Afrikaans seem to be as rare as hen's teeth unfortunately.

I have mp3 copies of the 1950 Linguaphone Afrikaans. Is there an earlier version?

There may or may not be earlier "editions" (i.e. same content but different binding, etc. and I have seen some variance in illustration between different editions) but this would be the first "generation".

Please provide your full street address, and the hours that you are at work and the house is unoccupied ;)
1 x

coigreach
Languages: Intrested about ALL CELTIC LANGUAGES

Postby coigreach » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:07 pm

I've collected many Linguaphone courses, I have 2 different for Afrikaans which I have both scanned and posted some years ago.

I've seen that the "Efik" and "Luganda" language were also available, these are really rare !
I'd be really be curious to see them.

Besides the first efition of Welsh (don't know the year possibly 1950 - 1960) I would also like to have for study reasons. I'm studying celtic languages.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”