General Linguaphone Discussion

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Lysander
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N); Italian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10248

Re: General Linguaphone Discussion

Postby Lysander » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:30 am

It turns out the Linguaphone course I was gifted is a bit of a Frankenstein!

The Handbook is the russet and gold 3rd generation without oral exercises.

The other two books (the coursebook and written exercises) are not russet-and-gold, but are dark blue hardcovers in white dust covers with an Italian flag, which is the version with oral exercises. Strangely, not only is there no oral exercise book, but the russet-and-gold Handbook was inside a white dust jacket-with-Italian-flag, which seems to not be one it belonged in from a perusal of this thread!

The cassettes (which are pretty easy to digitize these days with a plethora of options) are the version with the oral exercises too. However, the oral exercises are all just on the 4th tape (out of 4 total), so I skipped converting that one.

It seems this was the plus version, but the oral exercise books and original Handbook were misplaced, and the seller on ebay decided to combine with another partial course to complete it. It works since it is just an amalgamation of all the same things without the oral exercise books. It is just strange and I am curious how the combination came to be, especially considering the russet and gold book is in a dust jacket that matches the other books.

Anyway, editing Linguaphone audio is substantially less work than an Assimil course. The audio overall also seems much closer to proper speed than Assimil, though still not quite there. However, after fiddling with the cassettes and solving the mystery of the seemingly mismatched books and editing the audio, I am kind of sick of looking at Linguaphone for the moment, and will be setting it aside for a couple weeks before coming back to it :lol:
2 x
: 8 / 30 Linguaphone Corso d'italiano

tractor
Orange Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Latin

Postby tractor » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:11 am

Lysander wrote:It is just strange and I am curious how the combination came to be, especially considering the russet and gold book is in a dust jacket that matches the other books.

I guess the previous owner had an incomplete set and bought the missing parts separately.
0 x

blakroz
Languages: English, German

Postby blakroz » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:58 am

I have a question regarding Linguaphone German 1990 edition. I read somewhere that the audios in this edition are spoken by non-natives and is taught by someone from Canada (who is not a native German) and pronunciations and intonations have errors and it's way different from native German speakers. Is this true?
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”