German resources

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Re: German resources

Postby Doitsujin » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:48 pm

cjareck wrote:Rechtschreibprüfung - I recommend it, as it really helps in writing by finding grammatical errors in the text.
If you're a Firefox user, I'd also recommend the LanguageTool browser plugin, which supports 25+ languages. (It's also available for Chrome/Chromium)

korrekturen.de also offers the out-of-print 2006 Wahrig spelling dictionary as a free pdf download.
(The Wahrig dictionary is more conservative than the Duden. E.g., if you look up "vor kurzem," the Duden will recommend "vor Kurzem" while the Wahrig will suggest the old (and still acceptable form) "vor kurzem". The same goes for the translation of nightmare, which the Duden spells as Albtraum and the Wahrig as Alptraum.
1 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:16 am

0 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:23 pm

Reading list [PDF] for 1st year university student.

Prose:
Drama:
Poetry:
    Deutsche Lyrik, edited by Hanspeter Brode.
Last edited by DaveAgain on Thu May 21, 2020 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Tue May 28, 2019 12:35 pm

Synod of German-Speaking Lutheran, Reformed and United Congregations in Great Britain

http://www.ev-synode.org.uk/

---------

Elsewhere in the world: Die Auslandsgemeinden

https://www.auslandsgemeinden.de/gemeinden.html
Last edited by DaveAgain on Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:00 pm

Might be interesting to some, it has man-made subtitles:

Die Tricks der Discounter
Doku & Reportage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoK-v7fLqfw
Last edited by Kraut on Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:18 pm

An Unusual German Reader

Students of German interested in expanding their vocabulary of military terminology via readings of actual BBC broadcasts in German, addressed to the citizens of their erstwhile WW2 adversary, might be interested by “News in German” by D.H. Stott, published in 1942 by George G. Harrap & Co. Ltd.
News in German 1.JPG
The Preface to this 64-page pocket-sized booklet advices the reader:

“This short course of ‘news’ is so arranged as to include the words most frequently used in the [BBC] broadcasts in German. It is the result of the author’s experience with army classes, with which it has an outstanding success.

Very easy at the start, the passages gradually work up to the point where the actual [BBC] broadcasts can be understood. With the pronunciation guide and full vocabulary, compiled for use without previous knowledge of the language, even the beginner can tackle this course; by listening to the [BBC] broadcasts broadcasts in German, and with the help of this book, he will be able to pick up the correction pronunciation, train his ear to understand German, and go a long way towards learning the language.

The readings are based upon [BBC] broadcasts sent out at various dates in 1941, and do not profess to represent the war situation up to date. A number of extracts from actual broadcasts – made available by the courtesy of the British Broadcasting Corporation [BBC] – are given in an Appendix.”

Imagine yourself sprinkling your conversations with “Eines der besten russichen Unterseeboote, unter dem Kommando von Kapitänleutnant Starikow, ist dreimal versenkt worden – allerdings nur von Goebbels. Als sich Starikow wieder einmal in feindlichen Gewässern befand, sichete er zwei bewaffnete Transporter, die vor einer Hafenmole ankerten. Er torpedierte sie ...” and how suitably impressed your fellow students of German would be (or should be)! This little reader begins at the CEFR A0 level and moves quickly into the CEFR B2-C1 range. Here are two example pages:
News in German 2.JPG

News in German 3.JPG

EDITED:
Expansion of the text to include: "Imagine yourself ..."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
8 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:26 pm

Chung (in the German Study group) wrote:Here're some links to free online videos with good to excellent German subtitles (i.e. not auto-generated). Many of you probably know about a few of these already and some have been mentioned in other parts of the forum but I don't see the harm in putting up links for several of them in one post in this thread. Like a lot of learners, I've always preferred subtitles to dubbing and I especially like it when there are subtitles in the same language as the speaker(s) so that I get a running transcript (even better when the subtitles can be toggled on and off so that focus more on listening and watching the action in the original language when the subtitles are turned off).

German news shows or documentaries/educational videos

- Easy German
- Y-Kollektiv
- Dinge erklärt - Kurzgesagt
- logo! - Kindernachrichten (you can toggle the German subtitles for most broadcasts, which are offered for the last 7 days on a rolling basis)
- Online Focus
- Titel, Thesen, Temparamente
- Deutschland von Oben
- German Story - Where we come from? (English and German subtitles available)

German shows that aren't news or documentaries

- Nicos Weg 1 (A1), Nicos Weg 2 (A2) & Nicos Weg 3 (B1) (telenovelas for learners by DW)
- Jojo sucht das Glück (B1-B2) (telenovela for learners by DW)
- Berlin, Berlin (series from the early 2000s)
- Extr@ auf Deutsch (series for learners that mimics "Friends")
- Heute Show (something like a German version of "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert")

Non-German shows/channels

- Extra History (pick the episodes that are most interesting. Most of the videos have German subtitles, in addition to those of other languages)
- Maangchi (this is a popular channel for many Korean recipes. Most of the videos have German subtitles, in addition to those of other languages)

In general, look up videos with "deutsch Untertiteln" or "German subtitles", and you should get some hits.

I know that you can also turn on the German subtitles for many shows/movies on DVDs or Netflix although those aren't usually free.
2 x

mentecuerpo
Blue Belt
Location: El Salvador, Centroamerica, but lives in Phoenix, Arizona.
Languages: Spanish (N) English (B2) Italian (A2) German (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 18#p155218

Postby mentecuerpo » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:55 pm

I got this one yesterday at my local Barnes & Noble book store. No, it is not the dog.

The German travel pack. German phrasebook by Eyewitness Travel Guide. It cost me USD $10.
I like it a lot; the small phrasebook comes with an audio CD where a native speaker reads all the phrases.

It gives time to shadow before the next sentence. You can read the book as you listen to the phrases.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

dgc1970
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)

Postby dgc1970 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:47 pm

mentecuerpo wrote:I got this one yesterday at my local Barnes & Noble book store. No, it is not the dog.

The German travel pack. German phrasebook by Eyewitness Travel Guide. It cost me USD $10.
I like it a lot; the small phrasebook comes with an audio CD where a native speaker reads all the phrases.

It gives time to shadow before the next sentence. You can read the book as you listen to the phrases.

I wonder if your dog will turn into a German shepherd.
2 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:02 pm

Audio books on YouTube: Hörbuch
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”