The Master List of Resources

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Re: The Master List of Resources

Postby Jaleel10 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:26 am

4 Fairy tales in 5 languages, each with audio - https://www.thefablecottage.com/english

Jack and the Beanstalk, The Three Billy Goats Gruff, Hansel and Gretel, and Cinderella in Spanish, Italian, German, English and French.
3 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

SBS Radio

Postby Jaleel10 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:56 am

SBS Radio produces podcasts in 68 different languages. If you would like to listen, download or subscribe to a podcast please click on a language below.

https://www.sbs.com.au/radio/yourlanguage_podcasts
1 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:33 pm

https://langmedia.fivecolleges.edu/culturetalk-regions

Interviews with people in different languages, mostly rarer ones. Some are in English. Mostly there to give a cultural perspective. The rest of the site contains syllabi among other things.
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:24 pm

I have updated the first post of the list with updates Speakeasy sent me. If anyone has other updates please PM me or post here and I'll update the list as required.
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:08 pm

rdearman, thank you for updating the “Master List of Resources” thread that reineke began some years ago. When you find the time – no rush, here – perhaps you could insert the following link into the “Other Languages” sub-section. Thank you, in advance.

Filipino (Tagalog)
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11613

EDITED:
Formatting
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:03 pm

Speakeasy has kindly created these two resources. I have no editing privileges and I cannot add these lists to the first post:

Persian (Farsi, Dari, Tajik)
LINK: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11874

Filipino (Tagalog)
LINK: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11613

I like my Persian resources better but I can see why you might include his list in the first post.

I wanted to make the edits but the edit button is missing from my post. Including the list by replying here is already something and the prospective learners are encouraged to use the search button.
0 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:02 pm

It's working now. Thank you moderators. Did I just write that?
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:13 pm

BTW. This is probably the threadI recommend the most when people ask me about learning languages. It is like, just go there and you'll find it.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:39 pm

Asian Languages Reading Level Rated Children’s Books
Pinecone wrote:I was introduced to Let's Read: Asia's Free Digital Library for Children today. It has digital children's books in the following languages …
Asian Languages Reading Level Rated Children’s Books
1 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:25 pm

School Textbooks in Hindi, Bengali, Telugu, Urdu, Tamil, and Other Indian Languages
verdastelo wrote:This is a post for people who are interested in the languages of India and are looking for some authentic texts for children. I link to the textbooks used in Indian schools. You can use the language textbooks to read literature and subject textbooks to explore how students in India study mathematics, science, programming, or history. Most textbooks are of high-quality, but you might find some oddballs, such as a Tamil Nadu textbook in English that presents the existence of Lemuria as a valid scientific hypothesis and a textbook from Gujarat (I tried to find but failed) which was reported by BBC to compare white people to an undercooked roti, black people to an overbaked roti, and brown people (Indians) to a perfectly baked roti.

NOTES ON LANGUAGES

1. Most states allow students to select a language of instruction.
  2. The students can choose between the language of the state, Hindi, or English. Sometimes, they can opt to study in a school where the medium of instruction is the language of a neighbouring state. For example, Telugu textbooks in Tamil Nadu. Thsoe who can afford it, always choose English.
  3. Most students study three languages: the language of the state, Hindi, and English. Sanskrit is a popular fourth language and is available in all the Indian states; with the possible exception of Jammu and Kashmir which happens to be Muslim-majority and the Seven Sister States which haven't yet been fully Indianised; which means that Sanskrit, the Vedas, and the caste system don't have much of an influence.
  4. While students can study in their mother tongue in school, the only way to become an engineer, doctor, programmer, historian, journalist, or to obtain higher education is to study in English. Almost all the universities teach exclusively in English.

NOTES ON EDUCATION

1. School education is state matter in India. The central government creates textbooks for the Union Territories. Schools outside the Union Territories can align their curriculum with the state or with the central government.

THE LANGUAGES IN PARENTHESES ARE THE MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION.

India

• India (Hindi, Urdu, and English)

North India

East India

West India

Central India

• Nothing for now.

South India

• Tamil Nadu (Tamil, English, Telugu, and other languages)
  • Telangana (Telugu, English, Urdu, Hindi, and others)
  • Andhra Pradesh (Telugu, Hindi, English, and others)**
  • Kerala (Malyalam, English, Tamil, and Kannada)
  • Karnatka (Kannada, English, Hindi, and others)

This list is not comprehensive. The website of the Jammu and Kashmir State Education Board is down right now, Manipur lists the textbooks but you have to pay to get them, and Haryana is busy displaying messages from ministers. I will update this post when I find links to those websites.

* = Not all the books are listed.
** = Starting this year, Andhra Pradesh plans to use only English in schools. The state's language, Telugu, will be only be taught as a subject (like a foreign language). The medium of instruction will be English.
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”