Better language voice resources?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Mymar
White Belt

Better language voice resources?

Postby Mymar » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:15 am

I didn't know how to call it, but I've been using the voice add on for anki for awhile and it's alright, I'd prefer to have real speakers voices instead of computer voices because sometimes it isn't all that greatly emulated by the computer, but it's better than nothing. Is there something better I can do? I don't have the greatest accent in the world and want to train myself to hear the words as well as recognize them in print. Is there another way of adding voice to the text besides recording it myself (which would be bad for my purposes) and the awesome tts thing?
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Better language voice resources?

Postby rdearman » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:51 am

Mymar wrote:I didn't know how to call it, but I've been using the voice add on for anki for awhile and it's alright, I'd prefer to have real speakers voices instead of computer voices because sometimes it isn't all that greatly emulated by the computer, but it's better than nothing. Is there something better I can do? I don't have the greatest accent in the world and want to train myself to hear the words as well as recognize them in print. Is there another way of adding voice to the text besides recording it myself (which would be bad for my purposes) and the awesome tts thing?

TV and Movies with subtitles are your answer. You can get them on to a card with Substudy, or subs2srs.
1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:43 am

For words and short phrases, Forvo has lots of recordings of real native speakers. RhinoSpike is another frequently mentioned site where you can get native speakers to record longer passages, although I've not used it myself.
1 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:20 pm

Mymar wrote:I didn't know how to call it, but I've been using the voice add on for anki for awhile and it's alright, I'd prefer to have real speakers voices instead of computer voices because sometimes it isn't all that greatly emulated by the computer, but it's better than nothing. Is there something better I can do? I don't have the greatest accent in the world and want to train myself to hear the words as well as recognize them in print. Is there another way of adding voice to the text besides recording it myself (which would be bad for my purposes) and the awesome tts thing?

If you have an unabridged audiobook and e-book pair that you like, and don't mind getting your hands dirty with Audacity, you might try a bit of DIY. It shouldn't be too hard to split an e-book in text form (one can use Calibre to convert other formats) into sentences. Converting the audio to sentence files will be harder work, but it may be instructive in itself.

Or if that all sounds like too much hard work, you might just use the pair for listening-reading. :-)
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”