FSI Spanish Basic Course for iBooks

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
ilmari
Orange Belt
Languages: Fluent - French (N), English, Hebrew, Japanese.
Intermediate - Korean, Finnish, Spanish, Russian.
Studying (now) - Russian, Spanish
Dabbling - Italian, Polish, Yiddish, Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, Persian, Turkish, Urdu, Indonesian, Māori, Latin, Esperanto, Swahili
Would love to study - Norwegian, Swedish, Ancient Greek, and so many more.

Re: FSI Spanish Basic Course for iBooks

Postby ilmari » Mon May 02, 2022 11:09 am

Lysander wrote:
My question is, of those 50 lessons, is all the content originally there still part of your updated version, and just formatted in an easier to use manner with cleaned up audio? Or did you cut certain exercises or drills or anything like that?

Finally, will you be digitizing the final 5 lessons, or do you consider this project completed now?

Thanks for your kind words, Lysander.

As for your questions:
1. This is the original content, yes, but I took the liberty to change a few small things. For example, I transformed part of the translation drills into repetition drills. I found those translations quite challenging, especially at more advanced levels, and, generally speaking, I’m not a big fan of translating when learning a language. Besides, if you really want, you can always do these drills as translation drills just by showing the answers.
I’ve also (in random order): summarised the grammatical information, skipped the questions following the readings, added listening audio tracks (I made them by deleting the blanks from the original repeat tracks), transformed the Conversation Stimulus into listening and reading texts and dialogues, etc. Besides, in Level 1, I’ve added a bunch of exercise widgets for more practice. There may be some other minor changes I can’t recall now, but basically it is the original content. Oh yes, I’ve also modernised the spelling to follow the latest official rules.

2. Due to a series of reasons, I had less time for the project in the past couple of years, but I have the intention to complete it. Unit 51 is actually nearly 2/3 near completion, but these last units are quite massive and the drills are long and varied, which require a lot of editing and layout work. And all this takes time. But I’ll get there :)
5 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”