German (B2)
Italian (False beginner)
Norwegian (Beginner)

Dormant:
French (Lower intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9066

Intermediate - Upper-Intermediate English Resources

Postby Soclydeza » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:44 am

I have a friend that is trying to better her English. Being that English is my NL, I've never had to go through this so I don't know of any resources other than general practices for upper-intermediate language learning. What are some good resources for someone that knows a good amount of English but wants to get better at speaking/listening? Anything like podcasts, articles with spoken element, etc. would be great. Also, she prefers American English. Thanks!
0 x
END OF YEAR
: 108 / 108 Babbel Italian (Beginner)
: 47 / 47 Babbel Italian (Intermediate)

CONTINUOUS
: 27 / 100 Assimil Italian

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Re: Intermediate - Upper-Intermediate English Resources

Postby Expugnator » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:05 pm

I'd suggest the books Speak English like an American/Speak Business English like an American, though they feel almost like upper-intermediate to me, given the focus on slang.
0 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

mente&cervello
White Belt
Languages: Native English speaker. Target language Italian; not yet trying to write. Formerly fluent in French (ALM), Spanish (self-taught); employed in German (horrible course fr Brigham Young) but forget it all; Egyptian hieroglyphics (self taught text; forget it all).

Re: Intermediate - Upper-Intermediate English Resources

Postby mente&cervello » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:25 am

Hello Soclydeza,
What are your friend's language goals? What is her relative expertise-plus-interest regarding speaking, reading, understanding native speakers at normal speed, writing, and spelling?

For intermediate levels, I personally find that very clear enunciation, and native speech paired with transcript, are very helpful.

I would highly recommend
(1) Voice of America Slow English http://learningenglish.voanews.com/sect ... /3774.html
It is free, and provides short news articles, enunciated with a bit more care and a bit more slowly than the regular Voice of America news. They also gloss and define new vocabulary words or names that referring to people and institutions whose background is needed for understanding.

If she finds it too easy, she can move to

(2) Voice of America regular news

and
(3) National Public Radio NPR.org
the news programs "All Things Considered" and "Morning Edition" provide free written transcripts or summaries of the audio reports.

There are also a number of shows that feature one person speaking at a time, without background music or noise. There is a wonderful interview program, called Fresh Air, which can be reached via the NPR site. It also provides free transcripts. The host is considered one of the best interviewers in the US. The guests vary greatly; there will always be at least a few shows of interest. This also gives the learner a chance to get used to different voices, and sometimes different accents.

Good luck. Please do report back what turns out to be useful for your friend, and not?

regards,
mente & cervello
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”