Avistomat Natural Method?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Speakeasy

Avistomat Natural Method?

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:24 pm

While trolling on the Internet for vintage self-study language courses recently, I snagged quite a number of deadheads, rubber tires, and similar objects of dubitable use. Still, I was rather surprised when a few "Avistomat Natural Method" courses floated to the surface, viz. this offer on EBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/avistomat-vintage-1959-methode-complete-francais-italien-avec-vinyl-livrets-/361447655508.

The materials seem to date from 1959, included a dozen or so slim course pamphlets, up to 30 small 33-1/3 LP vinyl records, and a strange-looking, manually-operated machine for displaying phrases. I have come across similar examples of these materials from either a German or a French base for the teaching of English, Italian, French, German, and Spanish.

I have been thinking of acquiring one of these courses but, before making an offer, particularly as the weight of the LP records would translate into rather steep shipping charges, I was wondering if anyone might have some information as the method of instruction. Does anyone know what the "Avistomat Natural Method" really was? Was this an "audio-lingual" type of programme or some well-intentioned, but rather ineffective variant of the (shudder) Berlitz or similar method?
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”