German Grammar Books?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: German Grammar Books?

Postby Cavesa » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:12 am

Klipp und Klar by Klett is great and very learner friendly (quite similar approach to the Grammaire Progressive series), there are two levels

Hueber has published several grammars, I've been quite content with Übungsgrammatik für Anfänger, even though it is not that total beginner friendly. They've got such grammars for the intermediates and advanced students too.
2 x

EmmaC02
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Learning: German (Intermediate), French (Intermediate), Hindi-Urdu (nada)
For the Future: Arabic, Farsi/Persian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2169

Postby EmmaC02 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:28 pm

This is brilliant information, thank you all. I'll check out every single suggestion, since as this is the first language I've truly learned on my own, I'm not sure exactly what works best for me yet. Having all these options will make it much easier for me :D Cheers.
1 x

Melkor
Yellow Belt
Languages: US English*
German (Goethe A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9161

Postby Melkor » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:16 am

Skynet wrote: Recommendations: Übungsgrammatik für Anfänger A, B & C (Hueber), Klipp und Klar (Klett), PMP: German Problem Solver, Schaum's German Grammar, German for Reading (K. Sandberg), German Quickly (A. Wilson) and Reading German History (Hueber). Amazon has glowing reviews for K. Sandberg's and A. Wilson's books, and since they both state that their respective courses can be completed within 100 hours...
I capitulate! German is just not working out for me as I had hoped :( . Speaking is not difficult, what is difficult is reading. Which would be the best course that takes the user to the highest level of German reading ability? 100 hours sounds like two Assimil books to me, and I wonder if Sandberg and Wilson would leave you barely above A2 in reading.
2 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:51 pm

Hello, Melkor, I feel your pain! All the same, as this particular thread has been devoted to the discussion of German Grammar Books, I have taken the liberty of opening a separate discussion which hopefully deals with your concerns in the Practical Questions and Advice sub-forum.

German: Improving Reading Skills (Intermediate and Advanced)
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&p=138664#p138664
1 x

Daristani
Orange Belt

Postby Daristani » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:18 pm

A new book: probably not really helpful in helping learners assimilate all the seemingly endless details of German grammar, but perhaps offering some entertainment and "if only!" moments for those engaged in the struggle:

https://en.qantara.de/content/book-revi ... an-simpler
2 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”