Dodgy Google Translated Versions of Books Out There...?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Dodgy Google Translated Versions of Books Out There...?

Postby Montmorency » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:18 pm

I got quite excited for a while this evening when finding in the website of a well-known online bookseller what appeared to be Welsh translations of some classic books in new editions.

One I was particularly interested in didn't have a review, but another one I looked at from the same publisher had two - very bad - reviews and both mentioned that they looked like un-checked google translations.

I then noticed that there were quite a few other books that had a similar "look and feel", although none of them happened to be reviewed.
One was "Around the World in 80 Days" by Jules Verne (in Welsh).

I was fooled at first by the first one as it mentioned what I assumed was the translator's name (in addition to the well-known name of the original English-language author). So I searched within Amazon for his name and found a Romanian version of the same book.....
...well, I suppose he could be a polyglot translator, but this was sounding more and more suspicious to me, and I certainly now wouldn't buy the book I had been thinking of buying, or the Jules Verne on.

In view of certain events on this forum in recent-ish weeks (which I still feel very sore about, as it happens :shock: :x :-( ) I'm not going to mention any names of publishers, translators, or whatever, but I just throw out the general question to fellow forum members: Is this a growing problem, as perhaps machine translations become (at least superficially) "better", and what we innocent language-learners think are "real" translations are not quite what they seem?

Has anyone actually been "burned" by this? (Feel free to PM me - I don't recommend mentioning any very specifics on here, at least not in this thread thank you).

People are often advised to look for parallel texts and/or translations, so it would not be surprising if people could be taken in, especially for the less-popular languages where good quality translations are in short supply, and people might be tempted to seize on what looks on the face of it like a good opportunity.

If anything, this has reminded me of my original advice to myself to try only reading TL books which were originally written in the TL, although that is admittedly sometimes a counsel of perfection.

Edit: I now see there is also a "Norwegian" version of the first book I was referring to, and it has a bad review, complaining of an unchecked google translation by someone who wasn't a Norwegian speaker. *sigh* So my suspicions were correct, it seems.
Oh, and several other languages as well, but I won't bother looking any further.
3 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

Re: Dodgy Google Translated Versions of Books Out There...?

Postby cathrynm » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:52 pm

Yeah, I was slimed by a company called Onyx Translations on Amazon. The book was straight from Google Translate to Finnish. I'm not a native speaker, but I can spot a borked translation. Near as I can tell, there are no Finnish books on Amazon, aside from scams and language learning texts. I still need to find a safe way to buy Finnish books in the USA.
1 x

Star1
White Belt

Postby Star1 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:28 am

Look for modern books which will have official/licensed/professional translations. Books which have fallen out of the public domain have no legal protection and can be used for anything by anyone.
1 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:30 pm

Try Schoenhof's in Cambridge, Mass. They are a little pricey, and take forever to ship, otherwise they usually have a good selection.

Try asking the Finnish embassy for suggestions on where to buy Finnish books.
0 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:21 pm

---
Last edited by reineke on Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Keys
Yellow Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C2), German (C1), French (B2), Swedish (B2), Spanish (B2), Italian (B2), Russian (B2), Hungarian (B1), Polish (B1), Urdu (A2); reading literature and listening to audiobooks in Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish and Spanish. Studying Urdu, Polish atm.

Postby Keys » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:50 pm

I publish on Amazon as well, and their policy states that they can remove publications if they deem it necessary. Amazon themselves won't be able to read the Finnish and Chinese I'm afraid ;-) Although they might have people or subcontract to people who are able to double check texts. So I assume only if there's enough backlash via reviews and complaints they might ban the publisher.
2 x

SallImSayin

Postby SallImSayin » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:53 am

I've seen this looking for novels in Swahili. There are some legit novels in Swahili and legit translations, but others? They didn't even bother to capitalize words at the beginning of sentences, it was just thrown together.

On a job site I use, one can hire translators. I contracted someone to translate a course for me, they had problems with it, so I simply asked them to write a short (just a few pages) grammar review with audio. They sent me a sample of a text with audio they did for someone. On the submission day, they submitted text, but no audio. They pretended to not have agreed to audio but the site does not allow you to delete messages, and simply scrolling up showed they did agree and provided an exact example of what I wanted. The text they provided looked familiar. So they agree to the audio, after not being able to wiggle out of it. So I pay, but the text is bugging me because I know I've seen this before. I do a Google search, and they copy and pasted a wiki page (that I already had bookmarked and had read!). They'd tried to get away with stealing someone else's material AND not even providing audio for it. It took 10 secs to literally word for word copy this website into a doc. If you have people who will do that, for decent pay...you think they aren't simply running text through Google Translate? There are a lot of lazy people and I see a lot of Amazon job ads on there, for reviews, ghost writing, and translators.
1 x
Ask me for my WhatsApp, Kik, or messgenger info, I'd be happy to chat.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:01 pm

Yeah, there are more and more books just based on wikipedia pages. Often they print* an entire category, and put its name and an enumeration of some pages in the title. (example)
*most of these books are print-on-demand and exist only as pdf's until someone actually orders them.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”