German (B2)
Italian (False beginner)
Norwegian (Beginner)

Dormant:
French (Lower intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9066

French Grammar Books (A1-A2)

Postby Soclydeza » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:56 pm

I'm aware that there is a similar post, but this is more aimed at beginner French.

I'm looking for a good grammar workbook that can complement what I'm learning with Assimil NFWE. Not something that's overly technical, but gives good general explanations and also provides exercises. I liked Schaum's and PMP for German, but I wanted to see if there was something that was especially good for French. Any ideas? Thanks!
1 x
END OF YEAR
: 108 / 108 Babbel Italian (Beginner)
: 47 / 47 Babbel Italian (Intermediate)

CONTINUOUS
: 27 / 100 Assimil Italian

Rotasu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N),
日本語 (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1354

Re: French Grammar Books (A1-A2)

Postby Rotasu » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:33 am

Might want to check/post your question here

Here's a free bump
Surprised Tom didn't jump on this topic the second he saw French lol xp
2 x
Gone

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Postby James29 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:49 am

Dover's Essential French Grammar seems to be the most appropriate for what you are looking for (from what I've read). It's cheap too.

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-French- ... ch+grammar
4 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:02 am

I agree that Dover grammar is great. It explains just enough to clarify, and not bog you down.

I like my Practice Makes Perfect workbooks, and have many of the French ones (I caught a great sale on them). I'd recommend Basic French for a true beginner, but as a false beginner I found the Complete French Grammar a better fit, at least after a couple of weeks of using Basic French. The Kindle editions (at least via vintage iPad) have the exercises directly linked to their answers (and back again), and for all editions, all answers are supplied.

I liked the French ones enough that I've been using PMP's Basic Japanese to help revive my long dormant Japanese.
4 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Postby Fortheo » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:39 pm

tangleweeds wrote:I agree that Dover grammar is great. It explains just enough to clarify, and not bog you down.

I like my Practice Makes Perfect workbooks, and have many of the French ones (I caught a great sale on them). I'd recommend Basic French for a true beginner, but as a false beginner I found the Complete French Grammar a better fit, at least after a couple of weeks of using Basic French. The Kindle editions (at least via vintage iPad) have the exercises directly linked to their answers (and back again), and for all editions, all answers are supplied.

I liked the French ones enough that I've been using PMP's Basic Japanese to help revive my long dormant Japanese.

I second this post. However, if you do chose to get Complete French Grammar, I wouldn't use it in a sequential coursebook type fasion because the order of chapters seems a bit odd to me (you don't cover nouns and genders till like chapter 20, yet you cover the subjunctive around chapter 13 ish). Also, just to add another title to the mix, I thought Hugo's French In Three months was very direct and very helpful.
2 x

Mohave
Orange Belt
Languages: English (Native),
French (enjoying and still learning the language)
Spanish (Beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... f=15&t=766

Postby Mohave » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:54 pm

James29 wrote:Dover's Essential French Grammar seems to be the most appropriate for what you are looking for (from what I've read). It's cheap too.

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-French- ... ch+grammar

I highly recommend this book - it's the only true grammar book I used for the first year or so. It's short, simple and inexpensive with short and clear explanations. It will clearly explain everything you need to know on French Grammar in the near future. Also, the about.com French Grammar site is very valuable and has many good grammar exercises. Laura Lawless used to be the mentor for the about.com site but it appears she has started her own site now (I have not used her new site). I used Essential French Grammar and the about.com website for most of my basic grammar.

The Grammaire Progressive du Français series is the gold standard (IMO) as far as French grammar exercises, however, the books and explanations are in French. From the reviews on Amazon, there is not much difference from the Beginner and Intermediate books, and many recommend to buy the Intermediate book. I have the intermediate book, and it is very basic, but may be a little too much at this point with it being in French.
2 x
Spanish Motivation: Dec 2018 - Costa Rica
Spanish Pimsleur 3: 6 / 30 Assimil: 56 / 100
Spanish Super Challenge Books: 2 / 50 Movies: 0 / 100
French Super Challenge Books: 24 / 100 Movies: 22 / 100

My Goodreads

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:31 pm

I updated the Resources page of Les Voyageurs with the suggestions in this post. I also added a few other grammar books.
2 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Postby Tomás » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:55 pm

I recommend the "Grammaire Progressive du Francais" series because they are totally in French -- even the beginner's book.
2 x

MCK74
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Studying: Spanish (intermediate) German (beginner) Latin (beginner)

Postby MCK74 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:46 pm

I've been using PMP Complete French and I have the Dover French grammar - I agree, both are good.

You may also want to try Easy French Step by Step.
2 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”