French Advanced Grammar Books/Manuals (B2+)

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: French Advanced Grammar Books/Manuals (B2+)

Postby smallwhite » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:00 am

A Comprehensive French Grammar L.S.R. Byrne and E.L. Churchill, rewritten by Glanville Price

That's my favourite. It covers all grammar from basic to advanced, with the advanced parts more advanced than all but one textbook [*] I've seen in the library. Explains well and uses simple, illustrative examples. More for hardcore grammar-addicts.

[*]
"A Reference Grammar of Modern French" is probably more advanced, but is a pain to read.
2 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: French Advanced Grammar Books/Manuals (B2+)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:35 pm

These days, there is more to choose from than just a few years ago.

Grammaire Progressive got a new and awesome level: Perfectionnement. Advanced topics, overview of the grammar, focus on common mistakes, correct usage of the grammar. They've recently published the same level of Vocabulaire too.

Alter Ego series got a C level book but it is more classroom aimed, focused on various tasks, including writing. Quite useful, especially if you are preparing for an exam.

PUG is a less known publisher of very good stuff, including Expression et style, and Expression ecrite et orale.

And how about books for native speakers? I really love Toute la conjugaison by Colignon, PUblished by Albin Michel. A very complete, with explanations, examples, well writen. It is much more than just the tables (which are awesome thanks to great use of colors btw)
5 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”