Reviewing Language Reactor, Migaku, jidoujisho, etc. as an alternative to Subs2SRS

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

jidoujisho for Android

Postby emk » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:58 am

Ooh, found another one!

jidoujisho for Android, an open source video player/ebook reader/card creator/comic reader/dictionary app. Apparently it exports cards straight to AnkiDroid, which would immediately move it to the head of the pack. And it even claims to have some way to hook video games?

This looks Japanese-specific, but it also looks really interesting. I also think you need to download and side load it; it's not in the Play Store.

Anyone have experience with this?
4 x

elAmericanoTranquilo
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18495

Re: Reviewing Language Reactor, Migaku, jidoujisho, etc. as an alternative to Subs2SRS

Postby elAmericanoTranquilo » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:17 pm

I mentioned Knowclip in another thread, but it's probably worth mentioning here too, alongside the discussion of these other tools:

Knowclip "makes it ridiculously easy to 1) grab sentences straight out of your video and audio files, 2) make media-rich flashcards tailored right to your level, 3) instantly bundle them into a ready-to-use deck of Anki flashcards."
6 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Knowclip

Postby emk » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:49 pm

elAmericanoTranquilo wrote:I mentioned Knowclip in another thread, but it's probably worth mentioning here too, alongside the discussion of these other tools:

Knowclip "makes it ridiculously easy to 1) grab sentences straight out of your video and audio files, 2) make media-rich flashcards tailored right to your level, 3) instantly bundle them into a ready-to-use deck of Anki flashcards."

Thank you for a great discovery!

Knowclip is a free, open source desktop application for watching videos and making Anki cards. It's Electron-based, but quite snappy on my laptop. It has a straightforward and pleasant-looking graphical UI. Contributions may be offered to the author via Patreon.

(Full disclosure: I am also working on a different free, open source subtitle tool.)

To use Knowclip, you will need to supply:

1. A video file.
  2. A subtitle file.
  3. Optional: A second subtitle file with a translation.

For each video, you need to create a project, and add the video (plus any subtitles). As you go through the process, there's a screen that tells you what to do next:

From here, you can watch the video normally:

You can make a card by clicking on a subtitle. It's easy to combine two adjacent subtitles and adjust the audio start and end.

When you're done watching, you have several export options, including CSV + media, or an importable Anki deck:

However, I can say from first-hand experience that AnkiConnect offers programmers and users a fairly clean way to export media cards into Anki, and it would be an obvious addition here.

Overall, this is a really nice tool! There are a number of limitations, some of which the author hopes to fix:

• in-app popup dictionaries
  • speech-to-text integration
  • sentence difficulty ratings based on word frequency

I definitely think tools like this are more useful when you have a ready source of subtitles. And for some of the most popular languages, automatic Whisper transcription will get you a long way for under US$0.01/minute. Similarly, various LLMs can do a surprisingly good job of translation and explanation. (Migaku already has some nice features along these lines.)

Major pluses for using native audio and for including images. And I'm sure everyone is sick of me mentioning this, but I do miss a way to easily include the surrounding lines of dialog. :lol:

Who will like this most: People with laptops or desktops, a selection of local media files, and access to accurate subtitles. It supports a mix of extensive watching and making Anki flash cards.
8 x

elAmericanoTranquilo
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18495

Re: Reviewing Language Reactor as an alternative to Subs2SRS

Postby elAmericanoTranquilo » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:47 pm

emk wrote:
kundalini wrote:There's a service called Migaku that, I believe, is similar to Language Reactor, but does have the ability to create Anki cards with the original audio. I've never used it, so I don't know how well it works.

An older version of Migaku supported Anki export. The current version does not seem to? You can only review cards in a phone app.
Thanks for the heads up about Migaku and for the detailed review! I took it for a test drive and I agree it's in some ways clunkier than Language Reactor and that it also has some complementary capabilities. In particular, I was pleasantly surprised by the usability of "Migaku Memory," their custom flash card app. Things I liked about it:

* Simple, clear user interface. (I just can't abide Anki, so this is huge for me)
* Works on the web as well as on iOS and Android.
* Can import decks which have been saved in the Anki format.

I'm planning to sign up for Migaku primarily to get access to Migaku Memory, and make it my preferred flash card reader. Then I can create cards for it by using any of the different tools mentioned in this tread.

Note: they do now say that they also support exporting to Anki format, but I didn't test that because I'm trying to avoid using Anki :D
4 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Re: Reviewing Language Reactor, Migaku, jidoujisho, etc. as an alternative to Subs2SRS

Postby emk » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:37 pm

Ooh, another one! garyb, in his log, metioned asbplayer, which sounds interesting:

garyb wrote:I've been using Migaku for German and Spanish, and so far so good. It's rough around the edges but mostly does what it's supposed to and mismatching subs have rarely been an issue so far. I have read that people are doing the same thing (for Japanese at least) with free and open-source tools (asbplayer, which seems to do quite the same thing as Language Reactor, and captures cards like Mikagu) plus Yomitan and Anki. That seems worth looking into, since using a subscription service always has risks (Memrise anyone?) and the cost adds up, although I can't imagine the user experience would be any less clunky.

This looks really promising. They seem to extract real audio, like asbplayer? And they use AnkiConnect, which is absolutely the Right Way™ to create Anki cards from a tool like this. I'll need to install this at some appropriate point.

One of my goals of this thread is to track down all the viable commercial and open source tools for "audio card mining" in 2024, and to ideally, eventually boil them down into a short guide advising people on which tools they might enjoy trying.
7 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:33 pm

I have never used flashcards. It seems to me that the Languatalk app has a new feature for consolidating words: creating new coherent stories with the vocabulary collected via flashcards.

How does Langua work? (explainer video)

https://languatalk.com/langua?oc=true
https://languatalk.com/langua/vocab_ai_stories

VocabAI Stories
Learn saved words

When you've added at least 12 words to your account, come back here & you'll be able to generate a story that uses your recently saved words. This will help you learn through context.

https://support.languatalk.com/article/ ... +on+Langua
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”