Sites/Apps like Readlang, Lingq, Lingua.ly, etc.

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Rotasu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N),
日本語 (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1354

Re: Sites/Apps like Readlang, Lingq, Lingua.ly, etc.

Postby Rotasu » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:35 pm

Soclydeza wrote:I've come across a few sites/app like these and wanted to hear opinions from anyone that's used them and also others like them. I've played with Readlang, which is great, and am thinking about getting the premium membership, but I want to know what others I should look at before I settle one into my routine. Any thoughts?

How about we keep the focus on what OP wanted. Anything else can be said in personal messages
3 x
Gone

Keys
Yellow Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C2), German (C1), French (B2), Swedish (B2), Spanish (B2), Italian (B2), Russian (B2), Hungarian (B1), Polish (B1), Urdu (A2); reading literature and listening to audiobooks in Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish and Spanish. Studying Urdu, Polish atm.

Postby Keys » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:15 pm

Soclydeza wrote:I've come across a few sites/app like these and wanted to hear opinions from anyone that's used them and also others like them. I've played with Readlang, which is great, and am thinking about getting the premium membership, but I want to know what others I should look at before I settle one into my routine. Any thoughts?

I used Readlang as well; I noticed the translation was sort of google translation based and it kind of broke immersion to have the words that I wanted to look up translated incorrectly. Some texts are better then others but low frequency words / difficult words / words with multiple meanings had wrong translations (côtes du mer nord, ribs of the north sea, for example).

Is the premium membership with correct translations? Since you pay for it?
0 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:39 pm

Keys wrote:

I used Readlang as well; I noticed the translation was sort of google translation based and it kind of broke immersion to have the words that I wanted to look up translated incorrectly. Some texts are better then others but low frequency words / difficult words / words with multiple meanings had wrong translations (côtes du mer nord, ribs of the north sea, for example).

I was an early "Beta" member, so I qualified for free premium membership when that started. So I don't know how much premium membership is, but I'd got the impression it was quite cheap. And the main difference, last time I used it, was that free users could only look up individual words, but premium users could look up phrases (up to 10 words I think). My experience with Google Translate is that usually, you get a better translation with a whole clause or sentence than with individual words, although if 10 words is still the limit, that obviously rules out long clauses / sentences.

However, there is also online dictionary lookup, and I thought you could over-ride any default choice that the site makes. I must admit I haven't used it in a while, so my memory may be faulty, and I'm not up to date with the latest state. I did like it though, and want to give it another try. Just so many other things to do ...
1 x

language2015
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N) French (A0) Spanish (A0)

Postby language2015 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:53 pm

Keys wrote:

No
1 x
Why did I decide to become a polyglot when I knew I am a super lazy student?!?

Anki or Die

: 700 / 10000 Mine 10,000+ Spanish Sentences
: 700 / 10000 Mine 10,000+ French Sentences
: 80 / 10000 Anki All Of It

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Postby Tomás » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:36 pm

Montmorency wrote: And the main difference, last time I used it, was that free users could only look up individual words, but premium users could look up phrases (up to 10 words I think). My experience with Google Translate is that usually, you get a better translation with a whole clause or sentence than with individual words, although if 10 words is still the limit, that obviously rules out long clauses / sentences.

However, there is also online dictionary lookup, and I thought you could over-ride any default choice that the site makes.

I concur.

1) Google is at its best with short phrases. Single words might get you an alternate meaning, and long sentences tend to confuse it. But with short phrases it is quite good, in my experience with Spanish.

2) If you don't trust google, you can use *any* online dictionary with Readlang in the sidebar. Kind of like LWT in that sense.

I don't know what the premium options are. I signed up for premium because Readlang is a great service and I wanted to support the creator.
2 x

Ketutar
Orange Belt
Languages: Finnish (N), Swedish, English, French (~A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3147

LWT

Postby Ketutar » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:36 pm

I used to use LWT on-line when it was still working, which it doesn't seem to be doing any more.

I'd like to get it on my own computer, but I wonder if it is still possible, and if it is, how do I do it?

Is this information correct?
http://www.mezzoguild.com/how-to-install-learning-with-texts-lwt/
0 x
Memrise: 656 / 1657
5000 words: 2300 / 5000

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:06 pm

I use readlang which I am loving! I really ought to play around with it more though, because I'm sure I could get more out of it, in terms of the dictionary used etc. If anyone has any comments or tips about how they use it, I'd love to know! I personally don't pay for it, because the paid features aren't things that would be very useful for me (and I would have to pay in dollars, which my bank would charge me a ton for).

One question I do have is what people think of the levels listed on readlang. I have uploaded two texts and was really intrigued by the levels listed. Do people feel they're accurate? I have no real experience of evaluating these things.

I've never really used any of the other options so totally useless there, sorry! I had been hoping to sign up to LWT but had the same issue as a previous poster and wasn't aware that there was an alternative. But at least for now, readlang keeps me happy.
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Re: LWT

Postby Stefan » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:07 pm

I used another software to host sites roughly 10 years ago and from what I remember, the steps seems to be pretty similar and correct. Now I'm paying for a web host (due to work) and installed LWT there so I can't vouch for the guide. With that said, I would probably follow the steps on the LWT site:

http://lwt.sourceforge.net/#installwin

The creator also added a video going through all the steps:

It's a bit outdated (Windows 10 and EasyPHP 16.1.1 was released) with download sites getting new designs but other than that, it seems to be right.
2 x

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Postby Tomás » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:15 pm

MamaPata wrote:I use readlang which I am loving! I really ought to play around with it more though, because I'm sure I could get more out of it, in terms of the dictionary used etc. If anyone has any comments or tips about how they use it, I'd love to know! I personally don't pay for it, because the paid features aren't things that would be very useful for me (and I would have to pay in dollars, which my bank would charge me a ton for).

One question I do have is what people think of the levels listed on readlang. I have uploaded two texts and was really intrigued by the levels listed. Do people feel they're accurate? I have no real experience of evaluating these things.

I've never really used any of the other options so totally useless there, sorry! I had been hoping to sign up to LWT but had the same issue as a previous poster and wasn't aware that there was an alternative. But at least for now, readlang keeps me happy.

I use Readlang as my ebook reading app, at which it excels. You can download the words you save to Anki (this might be a paid feature; I don't know).

Re Readlang's estimated CEFR levels, I would consider them a very rough estimate at best. And the CEFR scale itself is already a rough estimate. But I use them to sort out which of my ebooks I should read next. The easiest one, of course.
1 x

Ketutar
Orange Belt
Languages: Finnish (N), Swedish, English, French (~A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3147

LWT

Postby Ketutar » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:10 pm

I am feeling really tired and sad right now… I followed the steps as I understood them, and it’s not working. I don’t know why. I don’t know enough of anything involved to be able to figure out how to fix this.

I have Windows 10
I installed the Easy PHP Devserver 16.1.1 as they told to do with Windows 10. Maybe I should have got the 14…
I installed the ZIP file
I moved it in the right folder and unzipped it in the \www directory and renamed the lwt_v_whatever to lwt
I renamed the file connect_easyphp.inc.php to connect.inc.php.
I started PHP. The app icon appeared in the task bar.
I want to start the LWT and right-click on the PHP icon.

No “local web”. No “lwt”.

I open Dashboard. I open Ports controller. I open Process explorer. None of it looks right. I try the dashboard, and all it does is keep asking me to choose, and all the choices look weird and don’t take me to anything I recognize.

What do I do?
0 x
Memrise: 656 / 1657
5000 words: 2300 / 5000

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”