Sites/Apps like Readlang, Lingq, Lingua.ly, etc.

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Kubelek
White Belt
Languages: PL (N), EN (C2), FR (C2), ES (C1);
Studying DE, RU, euPT, ελ

Re: Sites/Apps like Readlang, Lingq, Lingua.ly, etc.

Postby Kubelek » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:08 pm

Leosmith's online reading tool, see 4 posts above.
I'd encourage anyone who doesn't have a go-to reader to try it out. It's in its incipient form but Leo's respose to feedback was very quick and suggested features were quickly implemented.
1 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:04 am

Sayonaroo wrote:I have an aversion to staring at the computer/screen for reading so I figured out a way to do readlang/lingq thing without staring at a screen. I just print the whole thing out with the google translation and it's been pretty helpful for spanish. With reading foreign languages I usually re-read a sentence or a paragraph or a passage so it gets really strenuous with a computer.

First I get the pdf or whatever and convert to .doc. then I replace all the . with .<br> and so on and so forth for the comma, question mark, exclamation mark using CONTROL + H. then I convert that html. Then I paste that into google sheets then I run google translate through for column a1 by pasting =GoogleTranslate(A1, "es", "en") in to column 2 (press control when you click on column 2 to select the whole column). Then I put the function =CONCATENATE(A1,22,B1,33) in the next column (press control when you click on the column to select the whole column) . Then I replace 22 with <br>+ and 33 with <br>. then convert the html, then paste into doc then format it and print it. i DON't recommend doing the whole book at once because google sheets will lag. I do around 3000 lines

so I end up with the format of
spanish sentence or fragment
+english sentence or fragment

I like it a lot so far and am excited to see what results I will reap from reading a lot in Spanish without srs/anki. If you don't split it up by sentences and fragments you're going to waste a lot of time searching for the word and I love this format because the dual text book I had bought was making my eyes tired having to search the next page just for that one word.

Wouldn't you prefer it side by side?

You could turn each row of the spreadsheet into a row on an HTML table:
Concatenate "<tr><td>", A1,"</td><td>",B1,"</td></tr>"

Set up the table at the top with
<table borders=0>
and end
</table>
and your sentences will all match up side to side, lined up all the way down.
0 x

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:20 am

Cainntear wrote:
Sayonaroo wrote:I have an aversion to staring at the computer/screen for reading so I figured out a way to do readlang/lingq thing without staring at a screen. I just print the whole thing out with the google translation and it's been pretty helpful for spanish. With reading foreign languages I usually re-read a sentence or a paragraph or a passage so it gets really strenuous with a computer.

First I get the pdf or whatever and convert to .doc. then I replace all the . with .<br> and so on and so forth for the comma, question mark, exclamation mark using CONTROL + H. then I convert that html. Then I paste that into google sheets then I run google translate through for column a1 by pasting =GoogleTranslate(A1, "es", "en") in to column 2 (press control when you click on column 2 to select the whole column). Then I put the function =CONCATENATE(A1,22,B1,33) in the next column (press control when you click on the column to select the whole column) . Then I replace 22 with <br>+ and 33 with <br>. then convert the html, then paste into doc then format it and print it. i DON't recommend doing the whole book at once because google sheets will lag. I do around 3000 lines

so I end up with the format of
spanish sentence or fragment
+english sentence or fragment

I like it a lot so far and am excited to see what results I will reap from reading a lot in Spanish without srs/anki. If you don't split it up by sentences and fragments you're going to waste a lot of time searching for the word and I love this format because the dual text book I had bought was making my eyes tired having to search the next page just for that one word.

Wouldn't you prefer it side by side?

You could turn each row of the spreadsheet into a row on an HTML table:
Concatenate "<tr><td>", A1,"</td><td>",B1,"</td></tr>"

Set up the table at the top with
<table borders=0>
and end
</table>
and your sentences will all match up side to side, lined up all the way down.

Nope I do not. I find it tiring to have to compare texts when they are side to side . I like having the original and translation stacked and having a plus sign append the beginning of the translation

Thanks for sharing the excel knowledge.
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”