Sites/Apps like Readlang, Lingq, Lingua.ly, etc.

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: Sites/Apps like Readlang, Lingq, Lingua.ly, etc.

Postby smallwhite » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:21 am

Stefan wrote:Wait. You can't add your own content to LingQ?

Only 5 articles/"lessons" with the free membership. Unlimited for paid membership.

sjintje wrote:All the content (public domain or self created) is sourced and uploaded by individual community members ...

Some of the content is created by LingQ staff. I often end up using them as they're often better quality and more relevant.
4 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:56 am

Montmorency wrote:I have no axe to grind either way in the Lingq vs LWT discussions/competition, but my understanding was that one of Lingq's major beef's against LWT was that people were taking actual content from Lingq and then using it on LWT. I think at one time they were allegedly alleging :-) that the LWT author was actually encouraging people to do this. That's potentially a much bigger issue than the software "inspiration", I think. Even if a lot of the content was public domain (not sure if it was or not), the Lingq team had actually gone to the trouble of putting it together and making it available to their members.
Well you can't have it both ways. They advertise free downloadable content and then are disappointed when users prefer to use another tool to work with it. And most of the content was created with no financial compensation, just for the points that expire if you don't use them (no idea if they still do). The content was a bait. Nobody forced them to provide it and they should've been aware that people will always be more willing to check out the free stuff than to pay.
Besides, I assume the lwt posts weren't random. They were probably in response to frustration and technical issues of existing users. Basically if the only thing you like about LingQ is the content, what is wrong with using it elsewhere? Or do you also consider it problematic to add your LingQ vocab/examples to an existing Anki deck?
IDK, to me that's the equivalent of creating and publishing knitting patterns for Harry Potter scarves or providing DIY instructions for other merchandise.
Also, as far as I remember, you can only upload public content on LingQ. So unlike LWT you can't use it with copyrighted content you've legally purchased, or anything personal you don't want to share with the world. I'm not sure the alleged encouragement was more than just pointing out that you can put anything into LWT because your content isn't public, and you can run it on your own machine so LWT has no clue what you put into it. (I'm sorry if I messed up in this paragraph - I did check if the LingQ site says anything about that, but found nothing)

Though to be fair I could be defending LingQ now, if only they'd had European Portuguese content when I signed up, or if they had clearly indicated having only Brazilian content. I'm not perfect :P :roll:
3 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Postby Fortheo » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:06 am

Has anyone here installed LWT recently? I'm having problems and I think the instructions definitely need updating. It tells me to extrat the LWT.zip file into C:\Program Files (x86)\EasyPHP-...\data\localweb but the \data\localweb folder isn't created when I install easy PHP. Is there anyone out there who may be able to help?

*edit*

Never mind. It was frustrating but I got things to work :)
2 x

Mafalda

Postby Mafalda » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:53 pm

Thought it would be an excellent idea to propose Swapasap to you guys. I was reading through this forum and navigating :ugeek: looking up the propositions and found one that is really cool and I haven't seen any one on here mention. The Swapasap platform is free. It has chat and video chat, public chat rooms or one-to-one chat. It has the posibility to add your penpals as friends or do language exchanges with students from foreign countries. It seems like a pretty broad and unlimiting site- because there is no mention of membership fees anywhere to unlock features. Hope it helps!
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:48 pm

I have checked that swapasap thing (http://www.swapasap.com), and the one thing it doesn't seem to have is a text repository, so it isn't relevant for this thread. Instead it seems to be a place for getting penpals. But as it does seem to be free I have chosen not to remove Mafalda's reference to the site. I don't think we have a thread about penpal sites, but that's where this kind of message belongs.
2 x

Marah
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), Spanish (bilingual), English (C2), German (~C1), Italian (~C1), Dutch (~B2), Swedish (~B2), Catalan (~B2), Portuguese (~B2), Danish (~B1),

Studying (B1 and lower): Russian, Mandarin, Polish, Czech , MS Arabic, Moroccan and Egyptian Arabic

Postponed: Japanese, Greek, Indonesian, Hindi, Turkish, Croatian

Postby Marah » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:38 pm

If I installed LWT on an android tablet or smartphone would I be able to synchronize it with my computer?
0 x

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Postby Tomás » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:52 pm

Marah wrote:If I installed LWT on an android tablet or smartphone would I be able to synchronize it with my computer?

I think you'd need a server installation. I've only used Benny's, and so cannot speak to the complexity of maintaining one's own LWT server.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:00 pm

Tomás wrote:
Marah wrote:If I installed LWT on an android tablet or smartphone would I be able to synchronize it with my computer?

I think you'd need a server installation. I've only used Benny's, and so cannot speak to the complexity of maintaining one's own LWT server.

I've installed it and assuming you have a new router, then you can use some dynamic DNS to show your PC to the world. However you'll want to be careful exposing your PC to the internet.
1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Marah
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), Spanish (bilingual), English (C2), German (~C1), Italian (~C1), Dutch (~B2), Swedish (~B2), Catalan (~B2), Portuguese (~B2), Danish (~B1),

Studying (B1 and lower): Russian, Mandarin, Polish, Czech , MS Arabic, Moroccan and Egyptian Arabic

Postponed: Japanese, Greek, Indonesian, Hindi, Turkish, Croatian

Postby Marah » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:10 pm

Thank you!
0 x

lwtproject

Postby lwtproject » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:02 pm

deleted
Last edited by lwtproject on Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
20 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”