Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: Language Transfer

Postby Cainntear » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:29 pm

romeo.alpha wrote:I'm not familiar with Harold Goodman, but I have to disagree with your take on Paul Noble. The way he set up the course is actually quite brilliant, and I've seen that approach applied in textbook courses as well (Kullu Tamam/Ahlan wa Sahlan for Egyptian Arabic for instance). What he does is look at what order to present a language in to make it easy. With French he starts with the past tense, because then you don't need to worry about different conjugation based on person or gender.

Do you mean the passé compose or the imparfait? At the moment I don't quite see how either means not conjugating for person or gender...
Then he introduces it back in later. That's not a normal order that French is presented.[…]It's a lot more thought than MT put into his course, simply working off cognates. It is also something Mihalis did really well with Arabic, just going with adjectives as verbs because it's a lot easier to work with than conjugating everything.

Except that actually, Paul Noble took his cues from MT on this too. Michel Thomas brings in a lot of modal verbs ("handles", in his terminology) and explicitly says to stick one in front of a "full verb" (i.e. infinitive) if you can't remember how to conjugate.
Regardless, Thomas relies on cognates far less than it may seem -- if you look at the core content of his courses, there's a lot of similarity between what's in the German course and what's in the courses in the Romance languages. The cognates are at times just handy bonuses and at other times just a happy coincidence that makes the whole process easier.

This seems to be begging the question a bit, in that it accepts that Thomas actually was an effective teacher. Donovan Nagel does a pretty good takedown of that in his review of Michel Thomas, and juxtaposing Woody Allen's endorsement of the method with the video of him unable to converse in French is quite damning. I'm really not convinced Michel Thomas is effective at anything more than making people think they can speak a language, and giving them the confidence boost to keep on learning.

Nagel's review can be summarised quite simply as:
"This isn't the communicative approach, so it's bad."
The only points he raises that aren't covered by that statement are the ones that are specific to the posthumous MT method courses (most notably the weird two-teacher setup).

To break down his points:
"The Michel Thomas Method has been around for a long time but age is not a reliable indicator of quality...Consensus on effective methods changes dramatically over time, and approaches that were extremely popular decades ago (like that of Michel Thomas) may have been rendered obsolete by contemporary research."

But when he talks about communicative language teaching (CLT) he describes it as "contemporary".
Actually, while MT started teaching in the late 40s, his method never became popular until very recently as they were basically restricted to his own school until Hodder published the CDs in the 2000s.
The communicative approach dates to the 1970s and was popular in the 80s and 90s, decades before MT became widely known. This criticism is at best pots and kettles, and arguably back-to-front.

See, CLT was on the wane in the 90s, because research said it wasn't all that good. It got a second wind around 2000. Why? Well, probably because of the English teaching industry. It's an approach that works acceptably in a language without a lot of morphological complexity, and it's an approach that hordes of gap-year TEFL teachers can be trained to do in a few weeks.

On celebrity endorsements:
"I see these A-list endorsements in Michel Thomas advertising, on other reviews and videos and what it says to me is that somebody somewhere probably got paid good money to say very nice things."
Irrelevancy. First up, marketing's marketing, and saying "it can't be good, otherwise they wouldn't need to market it" is silly.
Besides, I doubt Hodder would have had enough to pay Woody Allen to say Thomas was a good teacher if he wasn't happy with what Thomas had done.
There is one genuinely valid criticism of the Allen quote: it's not actually about the CD course -- it's about Thomas teaching personally. (Well, the fact that he doesn't speak French fluently is valid too, I suppose, but no-one ever learned to fluency from a single beginner's course.)

"These aren’t linguists or teachers making recommendations."
And how many self-access resources on the market have any quotes whatsoever from teachers or linguists? The only teacher who endorses your average bookshop course is the teacher that wrote the course.

"They’re actors.
And they make a living by doing and saying things that aren’t necessarily true.
"
Just like the marketing people who write the box blurb for your average course. Why does having an actor's opinion that may possibly be genuine make it worse than only having copy written by someone whose only contact with the course was reading the job brief and being paid to anonymously claim that it's good and backed by unspecified "research"?

"One thing that I find particularly at odds with everything I’ve learned as a language educator is the Michel Thomas emphasis on full teacher responsibility."
He's dead wrong here. I have seen so many teachers blame students for not trying hard enough, and I've seen students in tears because they've been trying really, really hard and still don't get it. They don't get it because the teaching is confusing. If my student doesn't know something, it's because I've not taught them it. It doesn't matter if I've told them ten times, if they don't know it, that means that I've only "told" and never "taught". In his recent video on the topic, Donovan actually suggests that MT is teaching "about language", not teaching "a language", which would be a matter of telling (giving information) not teaching (enabling people to acquire and use a new skill).
When you teach, the other person learns as a consequence. If you need students to do lots to learn, then that means you've only told them...
… assuming you are working intensively, that is. One of the weaknesses of the MT course is that it never gives you any advice on this. If you sit down to work on it once a week, you're going to forget too much between sessions. And that's what homework is about in my mind: making sure your students don't forget between sessions.

"Even as children we can’t be forced to acquire knowledge. We can only be guided."
Constructivism talks about the learner building their own knowledge in their head -- the teacher cannot construct the knowledge for them.
However, there is the analogy of "scaffolding" used in constructivist thought. If I build a physical scaffold, builders can get to where the walls they are building are/will be -- similarly, a teacher can construct a metaphorical scaffold by developing an environment where the student has easy access to the knowledge required to construct new learning in their heads. CLT uses scaffolding -- the teacher presents particular situations, phrases etc with the aim that the student acquires certain language.
Personally, I find that as a learner, the CLT classroom doesn't have enough teacher control. The teacher wants me to do something, but isn't allowed to tell me what it is.
Then when I'm called to speak, I have to think about what I'm being asked, think about how I want to answer, consider whether I can answer the way I want to, decide I can't, try to choose something else to say...
… it's exhausting. So this is a good thing:
"The Michel Thomas classroom is 100% teacher-controlled."

"Unlike a contemporary(ahem... 1970s) language classroom that uses a communicative approach and allows students to move around, form groups and have the freedom to interact and make mistakes, the MT setting is like a psychiatrist’s couch where the students’ hands are held through every single step of the session."
And why not? It's aimed at absolute beginners. If you set me in a beginners Swahili classroom with a dozen other native English speakers and ask me to interact with them, well I'll want to interact with them in English, because I don't speak Swahili. What ends up happening is that students repeat simple scripted patterns, acting like little more than glorified phone menu systems, because true[ interaction is impossible.

Furthermore, a beginner in a CLT classroom is forced to interact with other beginners, and that doesn't square up with his points that:
A: "But the main issue for me is that her accent is awful."
and
B: "you should be learning from native speakers anyway"
(Of course, he does qualify this second one with: "(unless it’s not an option)." but that's a bit of a hand-wavy cop-out in my book.)

I hate CLT-type activities as a learner, as my classmates generally have far worse accents than a highly-rated teacher like Jane Wightwick, and not only does that mean I'm exposed to an incorrect model, but it actively discourages me from speaking the TL at my best (in terms of pronunciation, vocab and grammar), because if I speak well, they won't understand me. Which links on nicely to another problem:

"Unfortunately the course is almost entirely taken up by English."
Ah, the demonisation of L1 in the classroom. Well I'm sorry, but just as I have to simplify my Welsh in a Welsh class for the sake of my fellow students, so do I have to simplify my English when I'm teaching English to foreigners, and it's extremely hard to find a good balance between simplicity and naturalness. It's rare to meet a teacher who can actually go into a TL-only classroom and still sound natural. Most English teachers I've known overpronounce their vowels to be easier to understand, and many mangle the rhythm of the language while they're at it.

(Although that said, I do think some of the non-Thomas MT courses do tend to get a bit lecturey at times.)

""There are constant error corrections by the teacher.
One main feature of the MT Method is that the teacher maintains flow until a student makes a mistake in which case they’re instantly corrected on the spot before moving on.
"
This is an oversimplified view of error correction.
First up, he's disregarding the difference between "fluency practice" and "accuracy practice". If you're practicing fluency then yes, breaking the flow is bad, because "fluent" means "flowing", and your target is flow. However, none of Thomas's activities are working with fluency, only accuracy, and there's no reason to assume that breaking the flow is an issue here, as it's not interfering with the goal.

"While it’s still a contentious issue for some, most language teachers these days would argue against this."
i.e. "not everyone agrees, but I'm right and other people are wrong."
"The general consensus in second language teaching these days is to correct errors if there’s a miscommunication in meaning but that stopping students every single time they make a grammar mistake is detrimental to self-esteem and motivation."
And here we get back to his misrepresentation of 1970s/80s CLT as "modern", although technically he is correct, as the majority of teachers are CLT teachers; it's just that the researchers disagree with the idea that meaning is all that matters. The Krashenite idea that students will learn the form as long as you focus on the meaning is very heavily discredited, or to use his term "rendered obsolete by research". (Well, I exaggerate. There are still researchers in the US claiming that this is true, but the rest of the world seems to disagree.)
The consensus among most researchers is that there must be active focus on form within a meaningful context, and too often teachers interpret "meaningful context" to mean situational roleplay. One of the things I like about Thomas himself is that a lot of his sentences are intrinsically meaningful without needing embedded in a concrete context. E.g. "I want it, but I don't have it," or "I would do it for you today, but I can't because I'm too busy." I argue that this intrinsic meaning is far more linguistically meaningful than "The pen is on the table," which has a lot of superficial meaning, but doesn't really connect with any desire to communicate.
Focusing only on failure to convey meaning doesn't demonstrate to students the key features of form, and correcting only where meaning is lost does not lead to acquisition of correct form in all cases.

"Whatever your view or preference is on this issue, it’s worth bearing in mind that the MT classroom is not student-led."
CLT isn't either -- it only aims to be student-centred, and even then, I've met precious few teachers who don't just push students through a pre-planned syllabus with rigid materials.

"The course does not – in any way whatsoever – train listening comprehension skills."
That assumes that speaking and listening are instrinsically separate activities, but they're not -- they share many, many cognitive mechanisms. For one thing, they share a language model and I argue that Thomas isn't "teaching speaking" but rather "teaching a language model through speaking".

(But there's even a theory that listening comprehension is basically a process of reconstructing "what would I mean if I had said that?")

"It is in fact 100% devoid of any authentic listening opportunities."
I would challenge any teacher to find useful authentic listening materials that can be understood by students in the first week of an intensive course for absolute beginners. To me this criticism is like saying that a driving instructor is rubbish because he didn't take you on the motorway/freeway in the first 5 lesons.
3 x

romeo.alpha
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (native), Swiss German (native), High German, French, Dutch (heritage)
Learning: Greek, Japanese, Egyptian Arabic

Postby romeo.alpha » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:02 pm

Cainntear wrote:Do you mean the passé compose or the imparfait? At the moment I don't quite see how either means not conjugating for person or gender...

Passé composé. You have to conjugate the auxiliary verb according to person, but the verb itself is inflected in only one manner. So you only need to learn avoir and être conjugations, while the conjugations of other verbs can be postponed for later.

Except that actually, Paul Noble took his cues from MT on this too. Michel Thomas brings in a lot of modal verbs ("handles", in his terminology) and explicitly says to stick one in front of a "full verb" (i.e. infinitive) if you can't remember how to conjugate.
Regardless, Thomas relies on cognates far less than it may seem -- if you look at the core content of his courses, there's a lot of similarity between what's in the German course and what's in the courses in the Romance languages. The cognates are at times just handy bonuses and at other times just a happy coincidence that makes the whole process easier.

Thomas opens up with cognates right away, and expects you to figure out what they are from your knowledge of English. Which is a bad idea for a number of reasons. Noble just tells you what they are. Cognates are coincidental to how he teaches, while they're integral to how Thomas teaches.

Nagel's review can be summarised quite simply as:
"This isn't the communicative approach, so it's bad."
The only points he raises that aren't covered by that statement are the ones that are specific to the posthumous MT method courses (most notably the weird two-teacher setup).

Nope. For instance he criticizes the absolutely awful pronunciation of Jane Wightwick, which is coincidentally a problem Thomas himself had in every language except German. And that's actually damning of his method as well. Thomas is a Pole, and the reason he speaks German so well is Poland used to be part of Germany, and it is taught well in schools. He didn't learn German through anything resembling his method, rather he learned it in a very traditional fashion. Physician heal thyself applies to him. While he can make himself understood, and can communicate well enough in English, I would never aspire to speak any language the way he speaks English or French.

Irrelevancy. First up, marketing's marketing, and saying "it can't be good, otherwise they wouldn't need to market it" is silly.
Besides, I doubt Hodder would have had enough to pay Woody Allen to say Thomas was a good teacher if he wasn't happy with what Thomas had done.

Oh maybe he was genuinely happy with Thomas, but the Dunning-Kruger effect applies here. Allen's level of French that he acquired learning from Thomas was so low that he didn't realize how bad he was at it.

"One thing that I find particularly at odds with everything I’ve learned as a language educator is the Michel Thomas emphasis on full teacher responsibility."
He's dead wrong here. I have seen so many teachers blame students for not trying hard enough, and I've seen students in tears because they've been trying really, really hard and still don't get it.

What exactly do you think he's dead wrong with? I actually already have a response in mind, but I'd like to hold it until you clarify.

"Even as children we can’t be forced to acquire knowledge. We can only be guided."
Constructivism talks about the learner building their own knowledge in their head -- the teacher cannot construct the knowledge for them.
However, there is the analogy of "scaffolding" used in constructivist thought. If I build a physical scaffold, builders can get to where the walls they are building are/will be -- similarly, a teacher can construct a metaphorical scaffold by developing an environment where the student has easy access to the knowledge required to construct new learning in their heads. CLT uses scaffolding -- the teacher presents particular situations, phrases etc with the aim that the student acquires certain language.
Personally, I find that as a learner, the CLT classroom doesn't have enough teacher control. The teacher wants me to do something, but isn't allowed to tell me what it is.
Then when I'm called to speak, I have to think about what I'm being asked, think about how I want to answer, consider whether I can answer the way I want to, decide I can't, try to choose something else to say...
… it's exhausting. So this is a good thing:

I also have to ask you for clarification here. I'm actually not seeing any connection between what you quoted from Nagel and your response to it.

"The Michel Thomas classroom is 100% teacher-controlled."

"Unlike a contemporary(ahem... 1970s) language classroom that uses a communicative approach and allows students to move around, form groups and have the freedom to interact and make mistakes, the MT setting is like a psychiatrist’s couch where the students’ hands are held through every single step of the session."
And why not? It's aimed at absolute beginners. If you set me in a beginners Swahili classroom with a dozen other native English speakers and ask me to interact with them, well I'll want to interact with them in English, because I don't speak Swahili. What ends up happening is that students repeat simple scripted patterns, acting like little more than glorified phone menu systems, because true[ interaction is impossible.

If I'm understanding you right, you're comparing a Michel Thomas self-study course to classroom teaching with one teacher and multiple students. Assuming that's the case, and I am understanding you right. Why are you doing that?

I hate CLT-type activities as a learner, as my classmates generally have far worse accents than a highly-rated teacher like Jane Wightwick,

I haven't ever heard anyone speaking any language, anywhere, in any context, who could be described as speaking far worse than Jane Wightwick. Wightwick's accent in Arabic is as bad as is possible. It is literally at exactly the same level as someone learning Arabic for the first time. And she's been studying Arabic for decades probably. I feel bad for her, putting a significant portion of her life's effort into studying a language and sounding like that.

First up, he's disregarding the difference between "fluency practice" and "accuracy practice". If you're practicing fluency then yes, breaking the flow is bad, because "fluent" means "flowing", and your target is flow. However, none of Thomas's activities are working with fluency, only accuracy, and there's no reason to assume that breaking the flow is an issue here, as it's not interfering with the goal.

In that case they should be doing it like Mihalis, or Paul Noble. Where they say it's good enough if you can make it clear what sound you were trying to make. Mihalis says for Arabic if you're trying to produce 3ayn it probably won't be right, but it'll be clear to an Arabic speaker that's the sound you were trying to make. Because outside German Thomas himself is in no position to be correcting pronunciation, and Wightwick isn't in any position to be correcting pronunciation either (the only thing that can be said in her favour is she can hear when someone's speech deviates from hers).

"While it’s still a contentious issue for some, most language teachers these days would argue against this."
i.e. "not everyone agrees, but I'm right and other people are wrong."

Do you think you can make the point you're trying to make without rephrasing what he's saying, adding meaning that isn't explicitly there, and simply addressing what he actually says?

That assumes that speaking and listening are instrinsically separate activities, but they're not -- they share many, many cognitive mechanisms. For one thing, they share a language model and I argue that Thomas isn't "teaching speaking" but rather "teaching a language model through speaking".

Sure, they're linked. But then when we're talking about a language like French, the way MT goes about teaching it is not only useless for listening comprehension, but actually detrimental. With German it's not as bad, because he's actually a good example of the language, and picking out meaning from a German sentence is a lot easier for an English speaker than a French sentence.

"It is in fact 100% devoid of any authentic listening opportunities."
I would challenge any teacher to find useful authentic listening materials that can be understood by students in the first week of an intensive course for absolute beginners. To me this criticism is like saying that a driving instructor is rubbish because he didn't take you on the motorway/freeway in the first 5 lesons.

Ever heard of French in Action?
0 x

Random Review
Green Belt
Languages: En (N), Es (int), De (pre-int), Pt (pre-int), Zh-CN (beg), El (beg), yid (beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 75#p123375

Postby Random Review » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:10 am

@ Cainntear I totally agree with you about the flaws of the communicative approach. I see the results of this every day. My last school in China was more pragmatic and gave teachers a bit more freedom, but this new job in Indonesia they seem really dogmatic about it so far. :(
Another factor is high class load, it's actually quite easy to churn out lots of "communicative" lesson plans if you don't really look too closely at how students are learning. In contrast (as you know) planning as good a lesson as possible using all your experience as a teacher and a language learner is difficult and time consuming. In my last school I (and many others) regularly worked over my hours to do so. Your post reminds me of something I wanted to say about your last post on input. I will try to write that tonight, I've been busy with the move halfway across the world this last few weeks and completely forgot. The main thing I wanted to say was that a lot of the flaws sometimes ascribed to "input only" are actually flaws in the communicative approach... I'll explain later.

@ romeo.alpha My goodness. Well discussion of his personal integrity and accusations of him being a serial liar are well beyond the scope of a language forum. Moreover, since no one doubts Mihali's integrity and this thread is about Language Transfer, I think that is a topic for another thread (or more likely another forum). I meant that he definitely had integrity as a language teacher. You are clearly a smart guy and are entitled to your views. Certainly many would agree with you (I wouldn't, at least not completely- obviously he had some flaws as a teacher) that Thomas was an overrated teacher with real flaws, we can have a discussion about that idea; but if you genuinely think he was a bad teacher, you've either never seen a genuinely bad teacher at work (there are very, very many out there, sadly) or you're letting your personal dislike of the man cloud your judgement. Either way, debating you on that specific point is pointless, so I'm out.
1 x
German input 100 hours by 30-06: 4 / 100
Spanish input 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
German study 50 hours by 30-06: 3 / 100
Spanish study 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
Spanish conversation 100 hours by 30-06: 0 / 100

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:05 am

With all these knowledgeable, detailed posts about Paul Noble and Jane Wightwick, I had to search the site - I’m surprised by the lack of reviews of their respective methods. Clearly people have used their material in depth.
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

romeo.alpha
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (native), Swiss German (native), High German, French, Dutch (heritage)

Postby romeo.alpha » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:39 pm

Random Review wrote:@ romeo.alpha My goodness. Well discussion of his personal integrity and accusations of him being a serial liar are well beyond the scope of a language forum.

Not at all. His made up stories about being part of the resistance during World War II were used to lend credence to his method. Look at Michel Thomas, he was able to learn German so well he could even fool the Nazis was the implication. When he uses those lies to help sell his course and method, it's absolutely within the scope of a language forum. There are people who see more value in his approach specifically because of those stories. And when he's a fraud as a war hero, it's really not surprising for him to be a fraud as a language teacher.

Moreover, since no one doubts Mihali's integrity and this thread is about Language Transfer, I think that is a topic for another thread (or more likely another forum). I meant that he definitely had integrity as a language teacher.

And I'm specifically saying he doesn't. Right at the beginning of the course he says not to worry, any mistakes are the teacher's fault. And one of the first things he does is get mad at his student for making a mistake. When he presents his method as such, and doesn't adhere to it, that's a violation of the teacher-student contract (certainly anywhere that verbal contracts have legal weight).

Also, speaking of Mihalis. While I respect him in the Arabic course pointing out that he doesn't have a native accent, that he didn't tell anyone in the intro to the French course that he doesn't even speak French at all is a strike against his integrity as well. There's nothing wrong with people who don't have much experience sharing what they've learned and helping others (especially if it's for free), but they should be informing people of stuff like that.

You are clearly a smart guy and are entitled to your views. Certainly many would agree with you (I wouldn't, at least not completely- obviously he had some flaws as a teacher) that Thomas was an overrated teacher with real flaws, we can have a discussion about that idea; but if you genuinely think he was a bad teacher, you've either never seen a genuinely bad teacher at work (there are very, very many out there, sadly) or you're letting your personal dislike of the man cloud your judgement. Either way, debating you on that specific point is pointless, so I'm out.

If you want to defend Thomas by saying there are worse teachers out there, well that's equally damning of him. What good teachers do when their students make mistakes is try to see how they arrived at that mistake, point out which part of their reasoning was correct, and then explain where they went awry. There wasn't even the slightest hint of that in his teaching. And that's something that's necessary simply for being a good teacher, and if you're talking about the strength of the setup being you get to watch others struggle and succeed, it's also very important to see them being encouraged. Thomas wasn't doing that.
0 x

Random Review
Green Belt
Languages: En (N), Es (int), De (pre-int), Pt (pre-int), Zh-CN (beg), El (beg), yid (beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 75#p123375

Postby Random Review » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:06 pm

First of all, I'm not getting into a debate about whether Michel Thomas was or was not lying about his wartime service and I haven't quoted that part of your post. I personally don't think it's an appropriate debate for a language forum and, moreover, this is the Language Transfer thread and Michel Thomas was only being discussed in the context of the obvious methodological similarities. If you want to debate that topic, you should probably go and do it in The Thomas thread (I won't be joining you) so that this thread doesn't go further off topic.

romeo.alpha wrote: And I'm specifically saying he doesn't. Right at the beginning of the course he says not to worry, any mistakes are the teacher's fault. And one of the first things he does is get mad at his student for making a mistake. When he presents his method as such, and doesn't adhere to it, that's a violation of the teacher-student contract (certainly anywhere that verbal contracts have legal weight).

He doesn't blame the student; he gets annoyed. There's a big difference. He does in fact take responsibility and guide the student back. I can illustrate this with personal anecdote (although I'm obviously still a fairly average teacher, but even so). I have also got annoyed and frustrated by my students on occasion and I have been advised by some senior colleagues (thankfully not all) to accept that some students are just not very bright. You may not believe it, but it is Michel Thomas who taught me how wrongheaded that idea is. His advice has served me well, because invariably on reflection I find some way in which I, the teacher, screwed up or wasn't clear. Getting temporarily annoyed is not the same as shifting responsibility.
Would he have been a better teacher if he controlled his grumpiness better? Yes. Did he lack integrity as a teacher because he got annoyed occasionally? No.

romeo.alpha wrote: Also, speaking of Mihalis. While I respect him in the Arabic course pointing out that he doesn't have a native accent, that he didn't tell anyone in the intro to the French course that he doesn't even speak French at all is a strike against his integrity as well. There's nothing wrong with people who don't have much experience sharing what they've learned and helping others (especially if it's for free), but they should be informing people of stuff like that.

But in fact Mihalis has been quite clear all over his newsletters and videos on many occasions that he doesn't speak many of the languages he teaches and so he teaches them with the help of native speaker volunteers. He's also not some guy who lacks experience trying to help people: IIRC his degree was in linguistics and he has devoted years of his life full time to understanding how to break languages down and present them to the learner. You vastly underestimate the professionalism of his approach.

romeo.alpha wrote: If you want to defend Thomas by saying there are worse teachers out there, well that's equally damning of him. What good teachers do when their students make mistakes is try to see how they arrived at that mistake, point out which part of their reasoning was correct, and then explain where they went awry. There wasn't even the slightest hint of that in his teaching. And that's something that's necessary simply for being a good teacher, and if you're talking about the strength of the setup being you get to watch others struggle and succeed, it's also very important to see them being encouraged. Thomas wasn't doing that.

My goodness, you must be joking! He's the teacher I most look up to for that. That was a massive part of his whole method. It's what he always did for every single error by gently probing with the right questions to lead the student to the correct form step by step (eliciting of course being much better than explaining). It's one of the things Mihalis also does well (and IMO also got from Michel Thomas), the main difference being that Mihalis likes to explain a little more whereas Thomas preferred (rightly in my opinion) to ask elegant little questions that got the student to tell him.
0 x
German input 100 hours by 30-06: 4 / 100
Spanish input 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
German study 50 hours by 30-06: 3 / 100
Spanish study 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
Spanish conversation 100 hours by 30-06: 0 / 100

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:59 pm

Random Review wrote:
romeo.alpha wrote: And I'm specifically saying he doesn't. Right at the beginning of the course he says not to worry, any mistakes are the teacher's fault. And one of the first things he does is get mad at his student for making a mistake. When he presents his method as such, and doesn't adhere to it, that's a violation of the teacher-student contract (certainly anywhere that verbal contracts have legal weight).

He doesn't blame the student; he gets annoyed. There's a big difference.

Exactly. As a teacher, I'll say that what gets me most annoyed and frustrated is knowing that it's my fault; knowing that I've missed an important step; knowing that I've failed my students and not knowing how I've done it or how to fix it. And yes, when I don't control my expression, it does look to my students like I'm angry with them, and it's something I'm always trying not to do.

I do think that even teachers who openly blame students recognise on some level that it's their fault, and the blaming of the students is just a mechanism to protect their own self-image.

But in fact Mihalis has been quite clear all over his newsletters and videos on many occasions that he doesn't speak many of the languages he teaches and so he teaches them with the help of native speaker volunteers.

Does every user subscribe to his newsletter or watch all of his videos? No.

You vastly underestimate the professionalism of his approach.

And yet Mihalis's defence of his weaknesses is that he's actively chosen not to be a professional.

romeo.alpha wrote: If you want to defend Thomas by saying there are worse teachers out there, well that's equally damning of him. What good teachers do when their students make mistakes is try to see how they arrived at that mistake, point out which part of their reasoning was correct, and then explain where they went awry. There wasn't even the slightest hint of that in his teaching. And that's something that's necessary simply for being a good teacher, and if you're talking about the strength of the setup being you get to watch others struggle and succeed, it's also very important to see them being encouraged. Thomas wasn't doing that.

As Random Review says, that's actually the core of what MT did.
0 x

romeo.alpha
Yellow Belt

Postby romeo.alpha » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:31 pm

Random Review wrote:Would he have been a better teacher if he controlled his grumpiness better? Yes. Did he lack integrity as a teacher because he got annoyed occasionally? No.

Getting annoyed right off the bat isn't getting annoyed occasionally. At the first sign of trouble, of deviation from his lesson plan, he gets annoyed. And she was withdrawn after that, more hesitant. That was the foundation he laid in lesson 1.

romeo.alpha wrote:
But in fact Mihalis has been quite clear all over his newsletters and videos on many occasions that he doesn't speak many of the languages he teaches and so he teaches them with the help of native speaker volunteers.

That's not good enough. He needs to say it in the introductory lesson for the given course. Most people don't read his newsletter, or follow his AMA on reddit. They just go to the course, and there are people who genuinely believe his French course was good because he did it and his Spanish course was good.

My goodness, you must be joking! He's the teacher I most look up to for that. That was a massive part of his whole method. It's what he always did for every single error by gently probing with the right questions to lead the student to the correct form step by step (eliciting of course being much better than explaining). It's one of the things Mihalis also does well (and IMO also got from Michel Thomas), the main difference being that Mihalis likes to explain a little more whereas Thomas preferred (rightly in my opinion) to ask elegant little questions that got the student to tell him.

Saying "Don't guess, think it through," is about as far removed from an elegant question to elicit the right answer as you can get. All I can say is if Michel Thomas is someone you look up to as being a good teacher, you need to look around more. There's much better out there, whom you'll be able to learn much more from.
0 x

romeo.alpha
Yellow Belt

Postby romeo.alpha » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:32 pm

Cainntear wrote:As Random Review says, that's actually the core of what MT did.

If that's the core of what he did, don't you think it would be immediately apparent in going through his course?
0 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: Taking a siesta from this site for the rest of 2024.

Postby lavengro » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:07 pm

romeo.alpha wrote:
Cainntear wrote:As Random Review says, that's actually the core of what MT did.

If that's the core of what he did, don't you think it would be immediately apparent in going through his course?

I don't know what you may intend by "immediately" but it was clearly apparent to me that this is exactly what he was doing, and was what distinguished his learning materials from other materials.

Just for context, which of the actual Michel Thomas (rather than MTM) materials have you worked through?
1 x
This signature space now dedicated to Vancouver's best - but least known - two person female power rock band:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbymC_M1AY, ,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Av4S6u83a0

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”