Interactive digital versions of normal coursebooks/workbooks

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Cavesa
Black Belt - 5th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Interactive digital versions of normal coursebooks/workbooks

Postby Cavesa » Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:22 pm

I think we are missing a list of these. Mostly, resources are being thought of as two separate categories: paper based, and digital. And it used to make total sense. On one hand, there were the (usually) higher quality and more complete paper based coursebooks with audio on CD or to download, and on the other were lower quality, less serious, but digital (and therefore more pleasant for many of us) resources.

In the last years, various publishers of the "paper" resources have realized the gap on the market and the need to reach new public. Finally, they are not selling just overpriced scans of their books :-D

So, I would like to start a list of publishers, coursebooks, and platforms, with short reviews. Please, feel free to post your review. I will start with my beloved Nuovissimo Progetto Italiano on i-d-e-e, I know a few others have tested a few Spanish platforms. I would love to hear your opinions on the German ones.

Please, share your experience, and cover the gap on the info especially by your experience with the platform, whether the digital version has advantages over paper, what are some common problems, etc.

Here a list of the reviews to be updated, as we post:
4 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 5th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Interactive digital versions of normal coursebooks/workbooks

Postby Cavesa » Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:38 pm

publisher: Edilingua
platform: i-d-e-e.it
coursebooks: Nuovissimo Progetto Italiano (the reviewed one), but also Via del Corso and Nuovo Progetto Italiano Junior

Nuovissimo Progetto Italiano is one of the best coursebooks on the market, it is not too slow, it is well organised, there are tons of material, exercises, and so on. It is also a rare jewel, as it now goes up to C2. The i-d-e-e platform has recently been updated, I will try it out soon.

Advantages:
-well integrated audio right at the good places. I think Via del Corso also has videos, but Progetto is not based on them
-interactive exercises, you can get correction immediately, no need to look up the key. Very rarely, there is a mistake (such as not recognizing an alternative correct answer). I still recommend also writing by hand, but the digital exercises are very pleasant
-the content is excellent
-I also love the approach of giving the digital version "for free" to each sold paper copy. That's an excellent move, especially for people learning with a tutor or in class, as a computer can be harmful in such a setting.

Disadvantages:
-the official vocab app (which is not part of the platform, but it is the official supplemental tool) is horrible. Not only it is not SRS, but it also has no alternative way to review just what you need and put aside the already learnt vocabulary. You also cannot really mix the vocab, you need to review the same lists again and again. The design is also like ten years behind the rest of the coursebook and digital platform. You still need to copy pdf wordlists to an SRS, if you want the real thing.
-grammar overview is available as separate pdf (a scan of that part of the book), while it could also be better integrated just on click at the right places, just like the audios
-I hope they fixed it now, but the longer lessons of workbook were hard to navigate in both chrome and firefox, as I couldn't just scroll to the side to see the whole list of the exercises

Neither good, nor bad: I don't really care for the attempts on games, but some people may like them.

What I would love to see added in future: clicking on vocab to save in a list, and then easy export to an SRS. Either Anki, or a high quality app of their own making, if they insist.

TLDR: an excellent option! The key to my recent success in Italian learning. And overall a very good example of how it should be done, with just a few minor inconveniences.
5 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”