Rotasu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N),
日本語 (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1354

Re: Assimil Japanese

Postby Rotasu » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:05 am

Delodephius wrote:
Rotasu wrote:I do the same thing with Assimil but i put them in a text file so I can read and highlight on my phone with Jade Reader :3

I also need to find the time to actively study listening x.x

Well, once I get a smartphone I'll do pretty much the same thing. :D

As for listening, I myself neglected the files that come with Assimil. They are just soooo slow, I'm hoping in higher units they start talking normally.

---

Here's a question I've just started wondering: to what level does Assimil get you? A2? B1? And what to do after Assimil? I got some old intermediate level courses I downloaded, but most of them I never heard of since they're names are in Japanese and I've spent more time finding a good beginner course.

(At work so cant check) On my log, someone posted a lot of links about Assimil and I think one of them was a post on the old forum about your question. Someone tested it out and I think they got to B1.
0 x
Gone

Marah
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), Spanish (bilingual), English (C2), German (~C1), Italian (~C1), Dutch (~B2), Swedish (~B2), Catalan (~B2), Portuguese (~B2), Danish (~B1),

Studying (B1 and lower): Russian, Mandarin, Polish, Czech , MS Arabic, Moroccan and Egyptian Arabic

Postponed: Japanese, Greek, Indonesian, Hindi, Turkish, Croatian

Postby Marah » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:30 am

Delodephius wrote:
Rotasu wrote:I do the same thing with Assimil but i put them in a text file so I can read and highlight on my phone with Jade Reader :3

I also need to find the time to actively study listening x.x

Well, once I get a smartphone I'll do pretty much the same thing. :D

As for listening, I myself neglected the files that come with Assimil. They are just soooo slow, I'm hoping in higher units they start talking normally.

---

Here's a question I've just started wondering: to what level does Assimil get you? A2? B1? And what to do after Assimil? I got some old intermediate level courses I downloaded, but most of them I never heard of since they're names are in Japanese and I've spent more time finding a good beginner course.

Officially their new Japanese is supposed to get you to B2
http://fr.assimil.com/methodes/le-japonais but that's really optimistic. They don't offer any "Perfectionnement Japonais" yet so once you're done with that book you're on your own. :mrgreen:
0 x

Delodephius
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaking: Slovenčina (N), Српски (F), English (C2);
Understand: Čeština (B2), Македонски (B2), Slovenščina (B1);
Learning: Русский (B1), Old Slavonic;
Dabbling: German, Polish, Latin, Cl. Greek, Hebrew

Postby Delodephius » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:23 pm

Marah wrote:Officially their new Japanese is supposed to get you to B2
http://fr.assimil.com/methodes/le-japonais but that's really optimistic. They don't offer any "Perfectionnement Japonais" yet so once you're done with that book you're on your own. :mrgreen:

I think B2 is indeed... optimistic. :D

Arnaud wrote:Third or second, it depends of which edition you talk... :roll:

I have the edition with just two volumes, and there's nothing of that sort at the end of the second one. Maybe it's just in the French version, or just the edition with the three volumes. Anyway, thanks for mentioning it. :)
0 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:11 pm

deleted
Last edited by Arnaud on Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:44 pm

Delodephius wrote:The way I have been using Assimil is first I copy the main lesson text into a Word document, so I don't have to look at the Romaji or Furigana.

This bit has me confused. Do you mean that you have an electronic (non-scanned) copy of Assimil from which you can copy and paste? Or do you OCR the text and copy and paste that? Or are you typing in each Japanese sentence by hand?

I'm thinking about typing in example sentences from some of my text books (right now I'm thinking about doing this for 日本語総まとめ N3 文法) but it look slike an awful lot of work (which is why I've been thinking about it rather than typing it in ... :o ). So I'm interested in what other people do.

For the record, most fo my example sentences have been copied and pasted from JPOD101 PDFs and from sources on the net such as Transparent Language. (They do a word of the day, but it seems to repeat after a year, so there's no need to go back too far when sentence mining). So if Assimil is a non-labour-intensive source of fresh sentences, I need to go looking!
0 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

Delodephius
Orange Belt

Postby Delodephius » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:49 pm

dampingwire wrote:
Delodephius wrote:The way I have been using Assimil is first I copy the main lesson text into a Word document, so I don't have to look at the Romaji or Furigana.

This bit has me confused. Do you mean that you have an electronic (non-scanned) copy of Assimil from which you can copy and paste? Or do you OCR the text and copy and paste that? Or are you typing in each Japanese sentence by hand?

I copy by typing it all, by hand, into Word from the PDF. To just select and copy-paste would kinda lessen the effort. :D
0 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:53 pm

deleted
Last edited by Arnaud on Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Delodephius
Orange Belt

Postby Delodephius » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:40 pm

Arnaud wrote:In fact, when you buy the MP3 pack, each sentence is recorded on a different track and you can read the text in the MP3 player, so the text is somewhere in the tag of each mp3 track. I think someone with knowledge in programmation could certainly write a little script to extract the text and paste it in a file.

It's ease to extract each sentence with programs like Audacity. As for the text, as I said I prefer copying it by hand. Why do programmers have to go and ruin all the good old hard work?
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”