German (B2)
Italian (False beginner)
Norwegian (Beginner)

Dormant:
French (Lower intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9066

FSI - How intense should I go?

Postby Soclydeza » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:51 am

I'd say I'm at a pretty solid B1 level in German and have decided to go back to FSI to review and solidify some grammar points. I'm currently on Unit 7 and I understand all the grammar and everything but during the things like Variation Drills, I have to think about the translation which means that I have to stop the tape a lot as there is no way I'd be able to respond quick enough in the time given, even after a few listens. My original plan was to just fly through this course and use it essentially as a review, but I'm wondering if there are any benefits to intensely studying this course to the point where I can spout of each translation very quickly (which would take a lot of time and effort for some of the drills), which I assume is what they mean by "internalize" in the instructions. For those of you that have experience with FSI, what do you all think of this?

Keep in mind, I'm already studying other sources like native materials so my question is strictly about the use of FSI and not a general routine or general time usage.

Thanks!
1 x
END OF YEAR
: 108 / 108 Babbel Italian (Beginner)
: 47 / 47 Babbel Italian (Intermediate)

CONTINUOUS
: 27 / 100 Assimil Italian

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Re: FSI - How intense should I go?

Postby sfuqua » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:42 am

At least with the Spanish materials that I've used, the authors assume that you are going to drill them until you can do them without the pause button.
I doubt if that will be necessary for someone already at a B1. I sort of wonder if, for the uses we audidcacts use them, if it wouldn't be better to be a C1 in receptive skills before even trying them, but that's just my speculation.
Last edited by sfuqua on Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:05 pm

Intensive Drills versus Unstructured Conversation
We should not lose sight of the fact that the FSI and DLI courses were delivered in a classroom setting and that, while the sentence-pattern drills formed an essential part of the audio-lingual teaching programme, there was a heavy emphasis on free-form conversation. Both components are important in achieving fluency. I truly enjoyed practicing the FSI Basic German drills quite intensively and I return to this type of practice at regular intervals. However, if one is already at the Intermediate Level, one should seek opportunities for unstructured conversation, preferably with native speakers. An independent learner can access this second component through well-prepared tutoring sessions. At the Intermediate Level, what type of practice would tend to increase one’s effective fluency: (a) daily practice of the drills for half an hour, or (b) daily well-prepared tutoring sessions for half an hour? I suspect that, of the two, while the latter might leave one emotionally drained, the unstructured conversation would have a more positive effective over time.

Training Analogy: Boxing versus Karate
Karate is undeniably a more complete unarmed self-defence system than Boxing. However, in my view, the manner in which it is practiced does not yield the higher-level performance ability that is achieved by even amateur Boxers. Karate students perform thousands of hours of drills and kata that, admittedly, help them achieve a high degree of control and smoothness in the execution of their basic movements. However, in their sparring sessions, and even in their so-called full-contact tournaments, they never actually hit one another with maximum force and they certainly do not do so repeatedly. To me, this type of practice is analogous to the intensive use of sentence-pattern drills, the memorization of dialogues, and the technique of shadowing. All great stuff, but it has its limits! In contrast, while Boxers do, indeed, practice drills and patterns of blocks and punches, from their very first training session, they strap on the gloves, step into the ring, and have a go at one another. Their sparring, in which they actually hit another, is somewhat analogous to free-form conversation with a tutor. As a result, Boxers, who possess a dramatically less complete system of combative movements than do practitioners of Karate, tend to achieve a higher level of actual performance ability than do the latter. Boxers prepare for immersion and immerse themselves from the very beginning. Karate practitioners prepare for immersion and kid themselves into believing that their so-called full-contact tournaments are the equivalent of Boxing matches. They’re not! While Boxers may possess less "vocabulary" than do than do practitioners of Karate, they deploy it with much greater "fluency". The difference is due to the manner in which they practice.

Do Both!
Yes, practice the FSI sentence-pattern drills intensively and do this until you can provide the response in the time allotted. However, at your level, you should also be scheduling some “full-contact sparring sessions” with a tutor. You could, for example, intensively practice one of the FSI German Units, send a copy of the text to your tutor, and agree with him that the focus will be on the vocabulary and sentence structure presented in that particular lesson.

Meiner Meinung nach!
8 x

Soclydeza
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Actively Studying:
German (B2)
Italian (False beginner)
Norwegian (Beginner)

Dormant:
French (Lower intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9066

Postby Soclydeza » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:24 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys! I will try it and see how it goes. I doubt I will have time in the future to do this with every drill set, but it should serve as a good experiment for the time being.

Speakeasy - I like your analogy! Though I will say, karate can be every bit as practical as boxing, it depends how you train (I did Isshinryu for a while at a school that focused on self defense and sparring, and not so much sport), but your analogy makes total sense. I have to admit, I've been kind of lazy lately about getting myself out there to speak with natives lately, perhaps I should get back on that... haha
1 x
END OF YEAR
: 108 / 108 Babbel Italian (Beginner)
: 47 / 47 Babbel Italian (Intermediate)

CONTINUOUS
: 27 / 100 Assimil Italian

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”