For German learners - Natürlich German youtube channel - comprehensible input

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
willcouchman
White Belt
Languages: Korean (Beginner), French (B1), Hindi (Beginner), Arabic (A1).

For German learners - Natürlich German youtube channel - comprehensible input

Postby willcouchman » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:48 pm

Hi all,

I've been toying with picking up German for a long time and finally did a google search. I'm largely (90%) in the Comprehensible Input fan club. I acquired French and Arabic to conversational levels with almost exclusively input (French, relatively fluid conversation; Arabic, decent if still a bit faltering, but comfortable using both for a lot of things). My Spanish also grew leaps and bounds with Dreaming Spanish and Destinos.

I do think that output drilling like FSI or translating Assimil etc out loud is essential, so I don't buy the 'speech will naturally arise', although in Arabic I've surprised myself a couple of times where it's just flown out of my mouth lol.

Just so you know where I stand in terms of methodologies!

Anywho, I stumbled across a Youtube channel called Natürlich German, and I'm in love. For anyone familiar with Dreaming Spanish, it's essentially that but for German. Using whiteboards and funny stories and pictures etc. I didn't speak a word of German when I started this little experiment, and I'm only a few days in, but it's the purest pleasure watching nice relaxing videos and at some point forgetting they're entirely in a foreign language as the meaning is so clear. There's 150+ videos going up to advanced level, so plenty to choose from.

The videos don't have anywhere near the views they deserve, so if anyone here is learning German, I'd highly recommend this resource - I'm just having FUN, which is the main thing. I also have a lot of units of Dr Brian's Languages German course, for when I want to start some FSI-style drills. I'm monitoring this experiment to see how far these resources (plus my Assimil German that I'll dust off at some point) can take me :)

Will
4 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”