Swiss German resources

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: Swiss German resources

Postby DaveAgain » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:34 am

księżycowy wrote:I don't mean to widen the thread, but I would like to ask for anything anyone might know of for the following dialects I personally am interested in (mods/admins, you can move this particular part of my post to the German thread, if need be):
Palatine/Pfälzisch
Swabian/Schwäbisch
Franconian/Frankish
And I'd be interested in getting more for Low German and Bavarian as well (including Austrian German). And I know some of these are wide dialect groups. Whatever (if anything) is on offer (of a serious nature) is most appreciated. Contents in German is obviously fine (and expected).
Langenscheidt have a range of books for "Dialekte & Mundart, Von den Alpen bis zur Nordsee".

EDIT
Assimil have an A2 course for Luxembourgeois, from a French base.
------
A list of books [PDF] for learning Alsacien, produced by the local government.
-------
There are "kauderwelsch" wort für wort books. I think these are phrase books.
Kauderwelsch

Handliche Sprachführer für den schnellen Einstieg in eine Fremdsprache

Wort-für-Wort-Übersetzungen, um schnell den Satzbau zu erkennen und eigene Sätze zu bilden
Die wichtigsten Wörter und Sätze für Alltagssituationen und QR-Codes mit Links zu Aussprachebeispielen
Informationen zu Land & Sprache, Aussprache & Betonung, Verhalten und Höflichkeit, Kurzgrammatik
Grundwortschatz von rund 1000 Vokabeln

---------
There's also Parlons Alsacien by Editions l'Harmattan. Expugnator used some from this series, he described them as:
They aren't learning material proper. They consist a short grammar reference with history+culture and a phrasebook in some cases. They are good for having an overview of the language and decide whether you want to learn them or not, but I also like to use them for languages I'm already learning.

------------
The Dealing with German dialects thread might be of interest too.
Last edited by DaveAgain on Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.
3 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Postby księżycowy » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:09 am

Cool, thanks. I had seen a few of the titles, but there's a lot more than I thought at the official link you gave! :)

EDIT: I just noticed your additions. Cool! I'm definitely interested in Luxemburgish as well, but was considering that as a separate language (for better or worse). Only thing I'll note is, I personally can't currently use anything from a French base, as I don't know the language. And at the moment, I'm not planning to know it. (I'll add them to the resource list when I get around to editing it regardless.) I've been eyeing the Schwätzt Dir Lëtzebuergesch series for a few years now.

I'm glad you reminded me that Alsatian is definitely of interest. As is Kölsch, which I forgot to add before.
2 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

guyome
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N)

Postby guyome » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:42 pm

księżycowy wrote:I'm glad you reminded me that Alsatian is definitely of interest. As is Kölsch, which I forgot to add before.
In case you're interested, I posted a list of resources for Alsatian: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 19&t=15703. It is possible some of the links are dead though, I haven't checked them recently.
3 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Postby księżycowy » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:58 pm

Thanks, I'll take a look.
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”